Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Got our build date!

Nicholas Poole

Nicholas Poole

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi Everyone - great forum & site, lots of useful info, hints and tips so will be a regular visitor.

Having borrowed California's for the past 5 years for various short stay always, school camps, visits to pals in Devon etc, we finally decided to take the plunge and get our own. Kids now sprouting rapidly and at 11 & 12 we thought time rushing on, so get it now and enjoy a few years use. I was never a great fan of cooking in the bedroom and we've always got various kids in tow, so the full SE was sidelined for an Indium Grey T6 Beach 150 DSG 3 bench seater with two additional passenger seats, which we ordered 8th September - 14 weeks delivery quoted...........! Went for the DSG as we used one in Corwall at Easter and the 'box was great around those hilly back roads - made driving much more enjoyable.

Well if it's worth having, then it's worth waiting for, and I had the build date through from the dealer yesterday - build week 2, w/c 4th Jan. guess that means I may as well wait for the new March 1 reg. Just need to sort myself some 18" wheels & tyres out, a small drive away awning, a decent sat nav (couldn't justify the factory fitted cost) and we're sorted.

Now looking forward to some longer trips too, and a trip to Denmark this summer was a great teaser for the future - fab roads, not overcrowded plus diesel at 80p per litre!

Cheers!

Hi and wecome , good times ahead!
You did good not taking sat nav , if it is still the same on the T6 as in the T5 they are not worth the money , i got a RNS510 with my 2012 SE ex-demo car and the sat nav is a pain in the ass.

I reckon for no more than £300 I could get the best aftermarket sat nav available - just got to keep thieving eyes off it when we're out & about!

Expensive but sleek and easy to use. We love ours. Traffic updates are great . Nice big screen. Considering you will do a lot of miles in places you don't know, the essence of exploration which is what the Cali is for, in my opinion it is an extra worth paying for. I probably wouldn't have paid for it but having got one with it on I would pay for it next time.

I've added the app connect so i can use Apple Carplay on my iphone for sat nav.

In France we used the Michelin navigate app on the iPhone, it was brilliant, reminded me if I was over the speed limit, and would instantly find a new route if I went wrong without making me do a U turn

Love my RNS510 integrated Sat Nav, sure it could be better but hate having cables everywhere with external sat nav.

Great having the directions on the dashboard display too, phone works great.

Sure the T6 options are even better, though yes, crazy expensive.

My RNS510 took me from South Wales, via Euroshuttle to Nordkapp and back without a hiccup. Took me to 20 odd campsites during my trip. Now has 32,000 European campsites in my Personal POI file. All the campsites I've used in the past 11 months are on that list. Avoided some major traffic jams due to accidents and roadworks in Germany seamlessly.
It is a lot more than just a SatNav or radio. Wouldn't be without it.

Just had news that the build date has now been brought forward to wk48 - just a couple of weeks away. Guess this means late? Jan delivery which suits me fine as at least it's 2016 registered. no more spec changes - it is what it is now!

Hi Everyone - great forum & site, lots of useful info, hints and tips so will be a regular visitor.

Having borrowed California's for the past 5 years for various short stay always, school camps, visits to pals in Devon etc, we finally decided to take the plunge and get our own. Kids now sprouting rapidly and at 11 & 12 we thought time rushing on, so get it now and enjoy a few years use. I was never a great fan of cooking in the bedroom and we've always got various kids in tow, so the full SE was sidelined for an Indium Grey T6 Beach 150 DSG 3 bench seater with two additional passenger seats, which we ordered 8th September - 14 weeks delivery quoted...........! Went for the DSG as we used one in Corwall at Easter and the 'box was great around those hilly back roads - made driving much more enjoyable.

Well if it's worth having, then it's worth waiting for, and I had the build date through from the dealer yesterday - build week 2, w/c 4th Jan. guess that means I may as well wait for the new March 1 reg. Just need to sort myself some 18" wheels & tyres out, a small drive away awning, a decent sat nav (couldn't justify the factory fitted cost) and we're sorted.

Now looking forward to some longer trips too, and a trip to Denmark this summer was a great teaser for the future - fab roads, not overcrowded plus diesel at 80p per litre!

Cheers!

Heard today my build date has moved from week 1 to week 10. Anyone else had the same 9 week slip?

I reckon for no more than £300 I could get the best aftermarket sat nav available - just got to keep thieving eyes off it when we're out & about!

We had satnav in our old Cali; £1000 option and okay at first but impossible to update the nav, took an age to boot up, useless at synching with an iPhone. It felt dated within a year.

We have factory satnav in our BMW (M135i); again £1000 and not actually bad at all with very clear Bluetooth, directions on the dash and fairly good functionality; however I wanted the latest maps and BMW wanted £200! And camera/speed warnings are extra. I got the update for £75 but it was a faff to update.

So we got our Subaru without nav and bought the £299 Garmin Nuvi 3598 (I think) and it's amazing!! It does fairly poor BT for a phone but the nav itself is outstanding; way better than any factory nav I've seen. It also looks like a big but still compact iPhone. And it has updates for life!

Yep the wires are a pain and it needs hiding but having had factory nav go loopy in Spain on any newish road because it wasn't up to date, huge headaches with firmware updates, etc, I'm sticking to good quality portable nav units.

We had satnav in our old Cali; £1000 option and okay at first but impossible to update the nav, took an age to boot up, useless at synching with an iPhone. It felt dated within a year.

We have factory satnav in our BMW (M135i); again £1000 and not actually bad at all with very clear Bluetooth, directions on the dash and fairly good functionality; however I wanted the latest maps and BMW wanted £200! And camera/speed warnings are extra. I got the update for £75 but it was a faff to update.

So we got our Subaru without nav and bought the £299 Garmin Nuvi 3598 (I think) and it's amazing!! It does fairly poor BT for a phone but the nav itself is outstanding; way better than any factory nav I've seen. It also looks like a big but still compact iPhone. And it has updates for life!

Yep the wires are a pain and it needs hiding but having had factory nav go loopy in Spain on any newish road because it wasn't up to date, huge headaches with firmware updates, etc, I'm sticking to good quality portable nav units.
Ive just bought a Garmin NuviCam (SatNav and Dash Cam combined) Great piece of kit £254 Cracking.... just saying

samdb, I see that CNN are reporting an extended shutdown at VW factories over Christmas – Closing December 17 and resuming January 11.

Back