Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodyear vector 4 season breaking up

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I am 14000 mile in on my vector 4 season and they are starting to break up see pictures attached which is concerning this is only on the front wheels.

285E0277-E457-49EF-88EA-891AD5312CA6.jpeg

B0E0459D-BBE5-4D67-B61A-29372A3FCCF4.jpeg

408D8A5E-C63D-430E-98CE-1A63AC0331CA.jpeg

66FC2284-896F-435A-B9C8-6673602D6E3B.jpeg

It only happens on the front because you don’t have power steering on the rear wheels. It will take small chunks out of the tyre when the wheels are turned when standing still. Happens more when on rougher tar. I have some small bits missing out of my Continental tyres as the treads are closer together. It doesn’t happen on my Dunlop tyres as they have a less defined tread pattern.

It only happens on the front because you don’t have power steering on the rear wheels. It will take small chunks out of the tyre when the wheels are turned when standing still. Happens more when on rougher tar. I have some small bits missing out of my Continental tyres as the treads are closer together. It doesn’t happen on my Dunlop tyres as they have a less defined tread pattern.
Interesting observation that. Why we were always told to steer when rolling/moving and never stationary. Before the advent of power steering, you did not have an option :D

Interesting observation that. Why we were always told to steer when rolling/moving and never stationary. Before the advent of power steering, you did not have an option :D
Nobody really does it intentionally but sometimes you have no choice. In a perfect world you wouldn’t do it. But as we know the worlds not perfect.

Nobody really does it intentionally but sometimes you have no choice. In a perfect world you wouldn’t do it. But as we know the worlds not perfect.
I honestly believe I don’t steer without moving I am the only person that drives the van,but I have just returned from Scotland driving some of the nc500 which had a lot of very tight turns that coupled with many miles driving through Spain at 40oc I fear the all season tyres have given up asking a lot to cover every weather condition maybe.

Don't know if this helps but this is my fronts at 22,000 miles, still some miles left in them but new ones being fitted next week.

tempImagemGxbo8.png

tempImageMtBnJ8.png

We have them on our small daily driver - same thing happens.

Happened to mine too. I swapped back and front to get a few more miles out of them.

I am 14000 mile in on my vector 4 season and they are starting to break up see pictures attached which is concerning this is only on the front wheels.

I’ve just checked mine on my 2019 Cali with 13500 miles on the clock and they are breaking up in exactly the same way as yours. Winter tyres are made from softer rubber and shouldn’t be used in the warmer weather. I guess these are made from similar rubber and with the very hot weather we have had this year it’s probably softened them a bit too much. The front tyres get far more stressed than the rears just with normal acceleration and braking, which I expect accounts for the damage. If you get anywhere with the manufacturer I’d be interested to know but it’s probably just wear and tear.

My guess is they got too hot. Winter tyres do this when driven in summer/hot weather.

I think it's more to do with front wheel drive that steering or a combination of both.
My Cali is only two wheel drive and when loaded and touring she loses grip and spins a bit on some surfaces like cobbles in Le Mans

Simply hitting a pothole can take chunks out of the tread or worse split the sidewall.
This is more likely if just pulling away and a driven wheel has a jagged pothole edge to climb out of.
Mounting kerbs can also result in tread splits.

They are not “winter” tyres, so not as soft a compound. However they will be softer than summer/commercial tyres. I also think the damage is from grit/gravel roads, loss of traction and turning the steering at low speeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My V4's are just being taken off today after 5 years and 40,000 miles. They have been all over, Spain in the summer, Alps in the winter, Scandinavian forest roads, motorway pounding etc. I do drive pretty sympathetically (it's a relative tank) and try to avoid steering without moving etc. Great tyres.

Here’s the tread pattern on the gen 3 Vector 4 if anyone interested. Gen 3 SUV (Extra Load) 235 55R17 103Y
2C49B8BE-9CF4-46CF-BD30-3EE5D8D7AD24.jpeg

Turning a large truck while stationary was where they earned their money - very tough going doing five point turns on a mountain road In Nepal etc.

Hi all please see the email from Goodyear I also had a discussion with the technical team

Thank you for taking my call today,

From the photographs this appears to be a condition called flaking, chipping and chunking.

The causes of a tyre chipping and chunking are complex and are not the same in every situation.

Road conditions, road surface and driving style can all contribute to chipping and chunking which makes it complex to diagnose a single cause.

This condition does not affect the functionality or performance of the tyre and is not a safety issue.

Hi all please see the email from Goodyear I also had a discussion with the technical team

Thank you for taking my call today,

From the photographs this appears to be a condition called flaking, chipping and chunking.

The causes of a tyre chipping and chunking are complex and are not the same in every situation.

Road conditions, road surface and driving style can all contribute to chipping and chunking which makes it complex to diagnose a single cause.

This condition does not affect the functionality or performance of the tyre and is not a safety issue.
Good to know. I have just had some 4 Seasons Goodyear's fitted.

Good to know. I have just had some 4 Seasons Goodyear's fitted.
Well just got back from a second trip to France and Spain another 4k miles covered and I am considering replacing the tires they have covered 21k miles in the last 2.5 years still lots of tread left but I have real concerns now and they don’t look safe in my opinion see pictures below.The first picture shows large cracks below the groves if you zoom in ,this can’t be right and very poor from Goodyear.

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg

IMG_0251.jpeg

Well just got back from a second trip to France and Spain another 4k miles covered and I am considering replacing the tires they have covered 21k miles in the last 2.5 years still lots of tread left but I have real concerns now and they don’t look safe in my opinion see pictures below.The first picture shows large cracks below the groves if you zoom in ,this can’t be right and very poor from Goodyear.

View attachment 109224They are looking very tired (sorry I'll get my coat).
Does appear the rubber compound is degrading. With the potential for a high speed blow out I would not trust them. The cracks between the tread is the biggest concern as you indicate.

I had a different issue with my GY Vector 4seasons. Having said that, they were seven years old but had only done 11500 miles. That set all developed severe cracking all the way around the shoulder of all four tyres. I bought these delivery miles 2015 tyres on VW Devonport wheels from another Cali forum member to replace the diamond turned alloys that came with our 2019 Beach. They had been kept in a dark garage away from sunlight. I have never liked the latter DT'd offerings.
Anyway, once I noticed these cracks I replaced them all with Michelin all season something or other tyres.
Even given their age, the GYs shouldn't have gone home like they did.

Back