Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodbye!

Congratulations on your new campervan! Hope you have a lot of fun with it. I rented one once and found it to be a very nice campervan.

Congrats!

Would be interested to see / read a review of your new camper compared to a Cali.

Congratulations,

I must admit I was "toying" with the idea of changing too. But looking up various camper vans (including the Knaus Boxstar) I realized that the vans I am interested in are either not available in Ireland, or the lead time is over a year.

The reason we are consider to change is first of all the fixed beds and the availability of toilet and shower.

What certainly holds me back is, that the California is my daily drive, I get with the van almost everywhere where I needed to go. I am afraid that won't be the case with a bigger camper van. Before the Pandemie I did a lot of day trips. But more and more of the sites I like to visit have their car park setup with a 2m barrier. Unfortunately it seems that in each area 2m are not the same - sometimes I get through the barrier and sometimes not.

At the end I have to make up my mind if the advantage of a compact camper is more important to me than the plus on additional space which ends obviously in a larger vehicle which in turns might impact my movements.

Please let us know what your experience will be, changing from California to a bigger camper van. I also would be interested.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good choice had a look at these last year very interesting hope you enjoy your new travels with the new van and don't forget to give us your views on it.

We are also planning similar for next van, really want the bathroom and fixed bed option. We have loved the Cali, but as kids now grown future adventures need a different layout, also there is a new Knaus 540 currently for sale at £44k, that’s a lot less than than a 6.1

Congrats and Snap; did the very same. I absolutely loved the Cali, but our needs for toilet, hot water, shower and a fixed bed were the drivers to change. Being able to stand up in the van without having to raise the roof is great - caught in a storm with the Cali Sept 2018 Scottish highlands, being unable to raise the roof for several days reinforced to us the compact size of the Cali.
Still find it surprising what going from 5 meters to 6 meters makes with regards internal space, with little impact when driving / parking.

Congrats and Snap; did the very same. I absolutely loved the Cali, but our needs for toilet, hot water, shower and a fixed bed were the drivers to change. Being able to stand up in the van without having to raise the roof is great - caught in a storm with the Cali Sept 2018 Scottish highlands, being unable to raise the roof for several days reinforced to us the compact size of the Cali.
Still find it surprising what going from 5 meters to 6 meters makes with regards internal space, with little impact when driving / parking.
That’s great to hear. We’ll take it out camping over the next couple of days here in the NL, using it as our ‘home office’ on the road :) We’ll see if we can get used to the bigger van!

Lets see some pics before you go. Good luck with the new van.

After 4 great years traded the trusty Cali for a 2021 Knaus Boxstar buscamper, thanks for all the great stories, enjoy the trips, see you out there!
Sadly last Friday I sold my beloved Cali back to VW having only covered 2k. Bought 2nd August 2019, 150 dsg with nearly every extra possible. Having used it we struggled with the space so bought 2 Awnings trying to give us extra space. But we are in our late 60's and found fitting the Cali topper Awning and everything else was too much for us. We have placed an order on the Hillside Hopton to retain the VW brand and looking forward to future trips in this.

Sadly last Friday I sold my beloved Cali back to VW having only covered 2k. Bought 2nd August 2019, 150 dsg with nearly every extra possible. Having used it we struggled with the space so bought 2 Awnings trying to give us extra space. But we are in our late 60's and found fitting the Cali topper Awning and everything else was too much for us. We have placed an order on the Hillside Hopton to retain the VW brand and looking forward to future trips in this.
Good luck. And keep in touch with us all.

Took the new bus out for a first trip this weekend. Overall really happy with the slightly bigger bus: more comfort with a fixed bed, toilet and shower (be it for the adventurous type..) and just more space to live when the weather is less favourable. The drive is a lot better than I thought it would be, very smooth and silent inside the cab. Just a bit heavier, but still feels good and easy to handle. And what struck me was that a new Knaus Boxstar is actually a lot less expensive that a new Cali these days (Incredible how prices for those have gone skyhigh over the last few years). Spoke to quite a few ex-Cali owner that took this step on the campground as it turns out. Anuway, that it for us, signing off. Safe travels everyone!☀️

83468987-238F-4FF1-8807-F6DEB204884B.jpeg

C666EFF8-EB61-4754-9704-646B5BC33081.jpeg

Took the new bus out for a first trip this weekend. Overall really happy with the slightly bigger bus: more comfort with a fixed bed, toilet and shower (be it for the adventurous type..) and just more space to live when the weather is less favourable. The drive is a lot better than I thought it would be, very smooth and silent inside the cab. Just a bit heavier, but still feels good and easy to handle. And what struck me was that a new Knaus Boxstar is actually a lot less expensive that a new Cali these days (Incredible how prices for those have gone skyhigh over the last few years). Spoke to quite a few ex-Cali owner that took this step on the campground as it turns out. Anuway, that it for us, signing off. Safe travels everyone!☀️

View attachment 75506

View attachment 75507

Looks great, what model is it?

Looks like a beautiful van. Rented a Knaus Boxstar a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Have fun with it!

@DJ315 that looks great. Thanks for the update. As many on here often have doubts about what is the best option for their needs, I personally, hope you don’t leave the forum.

Looks great, we have also taken the step in increase living area and general space to sold our Cali Ocean and bought the Hillside Crafter Hopton. In our 60's and found putting Awnings up and Cali toppers on harder each time. Pics to follow.

Back