Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodbye Cali, hello Joker

Also interested in how you store large items ie paddle boards ,body boards etc. The large boot in the Cali is so useful. Store my paddle board in lower part of boot.

Last edited:
Also interested in how you store large items ie paddle boards ,board boards etc. The large boot in the Cali is so useful.
Totally agree that’s the issue with the joker for me I store my kayak in the Cali boot lower part and still have loads of space ,but a lovely camper

I’m wondering about clothes.
Our Cali boot is full of clothes and nothing else…

There are no large boot like storage spaces, there are lots of small and medium cupboards / spaces dotted about the vehicle so stuff is spread out more in different areas. We put our inflatable kayak and other larger bits in an external bag on the bike rack. It's a different beast to a Cali, some things better some not, all depends what is top in your priorities. One downside i found is a lack of available parts and waiting times from the Westfalia network unlike the California.

Woo-hoo, well done! I went to campersales quite a few times before my buy. I loved the Hightop Joker - bed and loo with hot water ... !!!!

I loved the Kepler One too but its shower was unusable.

In the end I went for unconstrained storage (Cali) and so far I am happy with the choice because of how I ended up using the campervan : lots of short trips, popup restaurant evenings and as a van. Not that many camping nights unfortunately !

I look forward to hearing about you Joker-from-Cali experience. I'm sure you'll love it!

I bought my California from Rob. He's not so hot on part-exchange back again though.
I was more than happy with the deal I got. I’m sure I could have got more had I sold privately and might have been able to haggle a discount. My view was the Cali had given me 6 years with little depreciation so I was happy!

Nice, I've moved from a Pop Top Bodans and loving My Westfalia California Exclusive...The extra room makes up for lack of book by a country mile.

I can use the bathroom too as storage for bigger items, but the Van has so much more space that the Side Kitchen Layouts of the pop tops it's untrue considering they aren't much longer.

More pics of yours please...every one loves a Westy!

Interested to watch and see how the storage options progress, both internally and externally. Keen to know what payload is available. How does the gross weight compare to the Cali?

Interested to watch and see how the storage options progress, both internally and externally. Keen to know what payload is available. How does the gross weight compare to the Cali?
I find the biggest difference between my old side kitchen layout is the accessibility of the storage. Everything is so much easier to get to, and having eye level large cupboards in both the kitchen and the bathroom is like night and day compared to the previous (and Bodans are very good in this respect for side layout compared to some).

The old van had a large 'Boot' area yes...but i don't seem to have the need to carry some of those items anymore as many items just aren't required now the Hightop is more 'contained' when camping. So I no longer need to 'set-up' camp when I get to a camp site.

For me I would struggle to go back to a folding Pop Top unless it was on a Grand Cali sized Van. Just the ease of making a morning brew whilst standing with all beds in-place and having a bathroom with a good sized sink.

Payload i'm not sure about on the Jokers, I think they are T30 based though.

I‘ve jumped ship and traded in the Cali for a Westfalia Club Joker!:Iamsorry
Congrats! That looks amazing! What were your reasons? :D We've had our Cali Ocean for three years now and love it but are getting lured and tempted by something else.

Congrats! That looks amazing! What were your reasons? :D We've had our Cali Ocean for three years now and love it but are getting lured and tempted by something else.
The main appeal was more space with everything integral and being able to use the bed, kitchen and loo/shower without having to shuffle beds and gear. It's surprising how much extra Westfalia manage to squeeze in by just using the LWB. I do think VW are missing a trick by not offering a "mini" Grand California LWB high top.
Also my Cali was scheduled to have the roof corrosion done later this year so I was happy to sidestep that potential grief!

The main appeal was more space with everything integral and being able to use the bed, kitchen and loo/shower without having to shuffle beds and gear. It's surprising how much extra Westfalia manage to squeeze in by just using the LWB. I do think VW are missing a trick by not offering a "mini" Grand California LWB high top.
Also my Cali was scheduled to have the roof corrosion done later this year so I was happy to sidestep that potential grief!
Gosh, I think it’s a wonderful decision. We have a T6 and not sure if that means we have to worry about the roof thing. I keep meaning to look into this but not sure where to start.

As for your new home on wheels, wow! I watched a few videos. It’s amazing. Think you’ve made a wise decision there. It’s awesome. I especially love how small it still is and easy to drive but my goodness - it gets everything in! Here’s to many adventures in it. Where’s your next stop?

We need to meet up in Waitrose car park again and compare notes :)

My only negative with the Joker was the lack of a boot space or through loading. I was totally smitten when I first clapped my eyes on it at the caravan show many years ago.

I'm currently enjoying my 90th night away in Kevin (Cumbria) and still amazed what a brilliant living experience it is.

@ArunAlec Congratulations on the Club Joker, lovely van. I hope you are still enjoying it. We viewed one yesterday. May I ask if it has deadlocking and ability to lock all doors from drivers’ door. I read on the T6 forum someone had to retrofit which sounds like a bit of a pain. Thank you

Last edited:
@ArunAlec Congratulations on the Club Joker, lovely van. I hope you are still enjoying it. We viewed one yesterday. May I ask if it has deadlocking and ability to lock all doors from drivers’ door. I read on the T6 forum someone had to retrofit which sounds like a bit of a pain. Thank you
To be honest I assume that the deadlock function is the same as the Cali … the “2 clicks” of the lock button on the remote does generate a lock noise (like in the Cali) which I assume is the deactivation of the deadlock. So the default would be one click and the van is deadlocked.
The drivers door central locking button functions just the same.
Unfortunately the VW handbook is a bit generic, covering all models, so it’s not a lot of help.
@The Blue Merle might be able to shed some light.

Congrats with the Westy! As mentioned earlier, mostly on posts of @The Blue Merle I am also enthusiastic about the Joker. As you @ArunAlec mentioned it is indeed a smaller size GC! But here in The Netherlands it is not easy to purchase, new ones have long lead times (and are very expensive) and newly T6 second hands are impossible to get. I can import one from either Germany or Belgium but then extra taxes hit the wallet at an amount which is not economical opposed to the current T6 Ocean. But maybe we will be lucky someday.
The only (questionable) mixed feelings I have is;
- how is the inside noise compared to the Ocean. (after all, Westfalia is using the standard LWB Transporter to build the Joker)
- how about insulation (winter) and fresh air circulation (hot summer) of the High Top. I know from @The Blue Merle posts that he had extra insulation and electric blanket added for cold weather camping.
- Our interest of going "electric" with a possible (ID buzz) camper solution. New Diesels maybe allowed upto 2035 in the EC, but that says nothing about national "zoning" of using diesel engines in future. Like the Wallonian idea of banning diesel engined vehicles much earlier. (not approved so far, but might become a trend)
I (we..) am very interested in your experience with the jump from the Cali to the Westy!
In the mean time applauding your choice and enjoy the Joker!

Congrats with the Westy! As mentioned earlier, mostly on posts of @The Blue Merle I am also enthusiastic about the Joker. As you @ArunAlec mentioned it is indeed a smaller size GC! But here in The Netherlands it is not easy to purchase, new ones have long lead times (and are very expensive) and newly T6 second hands are impossible to get. I can import one from either Germany or Belgium but then extra taxes hit the wallet at an amount which is not economical opposed to the current T6 Ocean. But maybe we will be lucky someday.
The only (questionable) mixed feelings I have is;
- how is the inside noise compared to the Ocean. (after all, Westfalia is using the standard LWB Transporter to build the Joker)
- how about insulation (winter) and fresh air circulation (hot summer) of the High Top. I know from @The Blue Merle posts that he had extra insulation and electric blanket added for cold weather camping.
- Our interest of going "electric" with a possible (ID buzz) camper solution. New Diesels maybe allowed upto 2035 in the EC, but that says nothing about national "zoning" of using diesel engines in future. Like the Wallonian idea of banning diesel engined vehicles much earlier. (not approved so far, but might become a trend)
I (we..) am very interested in your experience with the jump from the Cali to the Westy!
In the mean time applauding your choice and enjoy the Joker!
Great vans, same problem in the uk, very long wait and expensive (not a lot more than a Cali around 10%).
Didn’t notice anymore engine noise to a Cali, but wind noise is more and you do get blown about on motorways a little.

I think VW have missed a trick with the Cali range, not sure the caddy camper sells that well (haven’t heard of owners and posts on here). They should of made a LWB transporter similar to the joker as so many people on here wish there was some form of LWB T van.

Great vans, same problem in the uk, very long wait and expensive (not a lot more than a Cali around 10%).
Didn’t notice anymore engine noise to a Cali, but wind noise is more and you do get blown about on motorways a little.

I think VW have missed a trick with the Cali range, not sure the caddy camper sells that well (haven’t heard of owners and posts on here). They should have made a LWB transporter similar to the joker as so many people on here wish there was some form of LWB T van.
Totally agree, VW are missing a trick by not having LWB high top or pop top options. I wonder if, given their previous tie up with Westfalia, there was some sort of contract not to compete directly with Westfalia ?

Totally agree, VW are missing a trick by not having LWB high top or pop top options. I wonder if, given their previous tie up with Westfalia, there was some sort of contract not to compete directly with Westfalia ?
I just thought the hightop didn’t sell numbers like the poptop back in the day.
Would be good thought if VW expanded the range, and also tweaked the GC to fit bikes in the rear garage like a Sven.

Happy with my little kombi camper at mo, used more for b&q and dump runs, hoping to do a few trips in it.
Would like to do some more wild camping (tent backpacking), exploring cairngorms too.

Hope you are enjoying the joker, hopefully bump into again in the forest and see what you’ve done with it.

Back