Glassy-eyed

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
All sad :(

After years and years of occasionally wearing reading glasses for "tired eyes" I have now been officially prescribed glasses for reading.

Whilst being ever so sad that my perfect vision in my one decent eye has deteriorated I am incredibly sad that I will now, for ever and ever, face another nagging torment in my life ...

"Where are my ***!!*** glasses" has already become a familiar scream in our house.

I'm now squinting rather badly as I type this having turned Albert inside out looking for my "***!!*** Glasses!!"...

Tips please on how the absent-minded old duffer academic who loses everything from lecture notes to shoes can manage to keep a pair of prescription glasses within handy reach.

Jen , don't even dare to ask your age but sure many others would be jealous to do without glasses that long....:D

Tip : buy as many as you can and have them all over the place including in Albert!

Same problem, solved by wearing varifocals all the time. A godsend when I was working. I always have to have sunglasses available so these are the auto tinting type so no longer need sunglasses.
But, you are probably like my wife and wouldn't consider varifocals, so she has ended up with a pair of glasses in every car and room in the house virtually and still spends time looking for them. She also has contact lenses for social occasions
There is one way of getting rid of the glasses but it involves surgery, basically replacing the eye lens with a plastic lens. Private only.
Having said that all the Opthalic Surgeons I know wear glasses, not even contact lenses.

Btw , just noticed you've become a " moderator" .... Think myself need to have my eyes checked.....
Congrats on your' upgrade....:thumb

Jen , don't even dare to ask your age but sure many others would be jealous to do without glasses that long....:D

Tip : buy as many as you can and have them all over the place including in Albert!

Wim,

I bought two, and I had already a couple of over the shelf ones.

I took two away with me and already broke one, lost one :(

Maybe a nice 'Hinge & Bracket' necklace for glasses is called for!? :D

I
Same problem, solved by wearing varifocals all the time. A godsend when I was working. I always have to have sunglasses available so these are the auto tinting type so no longer need sunglasses.
But, you are probably like my wife and wouldn't consider varifocals, so she has ended up with a pair of glasses in every car and room in the house virtually and still spends time looking for them. She also has contact lenses for social occasions
There is one way of getting rid of the glasses but it involves surgery, basically replacing the eye lens with a plastic lens. Private only.
Having said that all the Opthalic Surgeons I know wear glasses, not even contact lenses.

Varifocals were suggested but to me what a waste, half the lens would be clear.

Herein lies the problem, my long vision is still near perfect so every time I drive, run, walk, drink wine .... I can see better with them off, in fact for driving they are dangerous, so I am constantly taking them off and leaving them somewhere :(

I

Varifocals were suggested but to me what a waste, half the lens would be clear.

Herein lies the problem, my long vision is still near perfect so every time I drive, run, walk, drink wine .... I can see better with them off, in fact for driving they are dangerous, so I am constantly taking them off and leaving them somewhere :(
Same with me. Needed them for work, putting IV cannula etc: but not for long / normal distance so varifocals going from reading lens to clear were the best alternative.

Stick them up on your head, like trendy sunglasses. I would do the same if I had enough hair to hold them in place.....

As a long term wearer of contact lenses/glasses I have now graduated to wearing a multifocal contact lens in my right eye and having varifocal glasses for when I'm not wearing contacts. My other half, after 50+ years of perfect vision now has to wear reading glasses much to his dismay ..... we have glasses all over the house and in the van and he still says "Where are my ***!!*** glasses". I don't see him resorting to the Hinge & Bracket look though :)

As a long term wearer of contact lenses/glasses I have now graduated to wearing a multifocal contact lens in my right eye and having varifocal glasses for when I'm not wearing contacts. My other half, after 50+ years of perfect vision now has to wear reading glasses much to his dismay ..... we have glasses all over the house and in the van and he still says "Where are my ***!!*** glasses". I don't see him resorting to the Hinge & Bracket look though :)

Oh how I empathise!

There was a time when Marks and Spencer online was my source of other things ... they are now my source of reading glasses, millions of them, all so I can lose those and keep safe my ever so expensive designer glasses from vision express.

You just need to accept the law of umbrellas and reading glasses - if you have about seven of each there's a very good chance of being able to find one.

but my U
You just need to accept the law of umbrellas and reading glasses - if you have about seven of each there's a very good chance of being able to find one.

I will look silly with my Glasses on my Umbrella :shocked

I have lots of cheap ones everywhere, but still can't find any:headbang
When I go out, I thread the frame arm through a shirt buttonhole or stick them on my head for the hairband look
Proper expensive ones live in my handbag and only get used for proper reading

Lots of cheap pairs left in places where you read and one pair in a box in my handbag.
The real frustration is i can't see an OS map anymore. I have taken to photographing the bit we're walking on and zooming in when I need to!
I also prefer to read on a Kindle knowas I can make the font bigger! :bananadance

Having worn glasses since age of 14 I had laser eye sugary 7 years ago. Now need reading glasses &like others I have pairs in each room in the house, two pairs in cali & a pair in my work bag. I still end loosing them though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I now have half the worlds supply in the house and in the Cali and like Bellaesca my expensive prescription ones are on a shelf in the house for house use only ...

If only I can remember which shelf :(

Back