Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gassings True or False ?

John

John

VIP Member
Original post smithy

Be careful of the gassings in algarve when wild camping, so many incidents this year

Original post paulro

Smithy is this for real?
Where can I find out about this, I have a trip planned?
What happens?

Original post smithy

Sorry paul i did not mean to put anyone off, i just meant to be careful.

My parents live in the Algarve and i was out there in the summer for 3 weeks this year and it is main thing people are talikng about out there at the moment. If you are on a campsite it is ok but dont wild camp. In july 2 motorhomes was gassed on the beach and everything of value stolen, its not just campers it is houses as well. Its all being done by eastern european gangs.

I was also a victim of a pickpocket while out there when sitting outside a cafe.

Nice place but just be careful

Original post BerndRos

Having free camped extensively in Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and now Turkey, I have felt as safe ( if not safer ) as West Europe countries.

In Italy they talk a lot about being gassed as indeed they do on the coast down from Barcelona, but I have my doubts as to my knowledge there has never been a case proven, plus Doctors I have met on travels seem to be doubtful due to the amount of gas that would be needed to fill a camper, getting the dose right etc.

Plus people say its pumped in through camper van vents for fridge etc, they would need to make sure the gas was not inflammable.

Original post caliangel

We were warned of so called camper 'gassings' in France last summer This gassed story or 'camping fear story' has been going round for years but I have never actually met anyone who has been a victim or actually knows anyone who has been a victim of such a crime. I would take it with a pinch of salt!

Original post Martin

This has been a very popular topic on the Motorhome forums for about the past five years and everyone seems to say 'a friend of a friend was gassed' Like the above posts I have never heard of it happen first hand.

However, I have noticed quite alot of motorhome dealers now sell these

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.u ... pplies.php

Maybe it was the manafacturer that started the rumour

I think we can say it's an Urban Myth !!

Original post caliangel

I think you might be right Martin. There is a lot of money to be made from fear. Even if I did believe this 'gassed' stuff I wouldn't buy this detector because my hubby would set it off every night with his own gas

Original post Mark

I read an artical on this written by a doctor, he pointed out if these thief's had developed a gas that can knock people out by just pumping it into the vehicle without any injurys they could make millions. The point being in hospitals they have to continually monitor people under general and some time it goes wrong and people die, this is with very careful admin!

Just food for thought!

Original post BerndRos

Thief's want the path of least resistance......

So my tip would be at night,

Rather than use the central lock button, de activate the internal movement sensor and deadlock the van with the key fob. Put the key where it's readily available.

If your concerned of a flat key fob battery when the time comes to unlock !, if the key is inserted in the ignition the deadlocks are released.

If using the side front windows blinds ensure that the flashing alarm light is visible from outside.

As for the canvas roof I think it unlikely that a thief would climb up and get in that way, provided your not in a remote or very quite area. Simply too much hassle for them as they may as well pick on an easier target.

Original post californiaman

I've heard many warnings but have never actually met anyone this has happened to. I've also never met anyone that has met anyone that this has happened to.

In reality, if you've got the roof up, no gas will stay in the vehicle long enough to have an impact. It's always good to be careful though - keep your doors locked at night.

PS: we never keep food in the van when on the moors and we always stick to the roads when walking to the pub.

think this subject is worthy of its own thread so we can have a debate. So I have moved all the post to this thread.

I have already received some personal messages about safety when on a trip especially when you are wild camping.

I think It is important to put it in prospective. the amount of incidents that occur of theft to campervans is very small if you think about how many Campervans are out on the road touring every year.

However, it is still important to be savvy and use your brain to be safe. Some people relax when they are on holiday as this is their chill time when they are enjoying themselves in beautifull places they let their guard down. I guess there are bad people everywhere who will see campervans as a soft target.

The bottom line is use common sense and use your brain to stay safe.
Here is a good example that BerdRoss gave me yesterday.

In France you have lovely free aires mostly in villages and a joy to stay on

They also have ' aires ' on motorways , being no more than pull off lay bys with no petrol station or whatever. Would you park for the night on one of them, some do ........

BerndRos is on day 168 of his trip he tries to stay in towns or sites where there is always other people around.

Some usefull thoughts.

Original post californiaman

I've only heard of one California break-in. A friend in Southern Spain, parked on a beach (in an area where he was warned of breakins!) He was wind surfing - alone. He locked the van, and went out to sea. As he made his way "out", he saw three men approaching the van. They waited until he was a sufficient distance away to smash their way into the van - he couldn't make it back to the beach in sufficient time to do anything; they knew and even stood waving at him. He nearly gave himself a heart attack trying to "tack" back to the beach and even jumped off the board and tried to swim at one point. As it happens, they didn't steal much.

Original post Kevinpower2003

false. not sure how to put the link on hear do a google serch the royal college of anaesthetists looked into this thay say no way if you was drunk robed woke up very rough esay to report it as being gassed to the cops incrance clame hope i dont get gassed next week chers kev

Original post smithy

Just spoken to my mum in portugal, she tells me it was in the Algarve Resident Newspaper where it was reported. i have emailed them for a copy of the article. We have kids so i personally would never wild camp even if this was a myth about the gassings.

Original post andy

There was talk of trucks getting gassed in spain back in the 80's. I never heard anything first hand though.
Most modern trucks now have gas detectors fitted as standard.