Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas smell when black lid of gas container removed

S

Sue G

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,
We've just had delivery of our new Cali - hard to believe it's actually arrived after 6 month wait. After connecting the gas cylinder up today we noticed that when we removed the black lid a bit later on in the day there was a gas smell. Is this normal on removal of the lid or might there be a problem. We've been over everything to check things are done up tightly.

I did try to do a search before posting but couldn't seem to find the answer.
Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
Sue

not normal on mine I would take out bottle remove valves and put back and try again are rubber seals on valves could be missing

Last edited:
Mine always has a whiff of gas.

You definitely shouldn't smell gas! It may be just a small leak from when fitting the new bottle. If the smell doesn't go I suggest you try refitting. If this doesn't work I'm sure having just spent a lot of money with them the dealer would be happy to check it over for you.

Mine doesn't have a leek and there is always a whiff of gas when taking lid off. I leave it turned on all the time . If you think you have a leak try putting washing up liquid on joints to see if it bubbles or try your local friendly gas plumber. Dealer probably won't have a clue.

Many thanks for all your replies. I don't think I've overtightened the valve as everything is hand-tight.
When I took the black lid off today the gas smell was less noticeable but I could still smell it if I put my head into the lower part of the cupboard. I'll hopefully have more time tomorrow to try the diluted washing up test.
Thank you again for your responses.

Could I just ask, do people always turn their gas off when travelling and if so is that at the cylinder end, under the hob or both.

We always turn off at the sink. Normally when leaving a site we almost always stop on the way back for a cuppa. Once we've had the cuppa we then isolate at the bottle and under the sink.

I have a small plastic container in the bottom shelf of the rear cupboard so it everything comes out in one and it's easy to turn the gas off.

Just to thank everyone for their replies. We disconnected and then reconnected everything and although there is a very slight smell of gas when we take off the black lid and put our nose close to the opening it soon dissipates so hoping this is ok as nowhere near as strong as before. We did try the diluted washing in liquid test and couldn't see any bubbles.
Thanks again.

As your van is new, my guess is that the rubber seals are just bedding in and in due course there will be no smells.

Tighten all of the fittings as much as you can and remember that some are a left hand screw, so you may be loosening them inadvertently.

Alan