Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Cooker burner jets

P

petec

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi Everyone
Has anyone changed burner jet for smaller size, I am finding that food boils continuously even on lowest setting -

Pete

Hi Pete, to be honest, I've found the opposite... burners are not as powerful (or indeed controllable) as those even in my '72 Westy and they burn very unclean (white-ish flame rather than blue)

My Multivan has a custom kitchen pod with SMEV burners and they are much better than my Cali..

Keen to see if anyone changes them, it must be do-able.

Rgds
Mark

Our Granvia's gas burners were feek and weeble. Took ages to boil anything.
The Cali has more warp speed about it. Yes it's strong but at least it gets on with it. I Think the gas will run out quicker but as the last one lasted for 3 yrs, then caught us out, that's no bad thing.

Just a thought. Is the gas tap in the kitchen cupboard a straight On/Off tap or can it be used to control the gas flow to the burners?

Just a thought. Is the gas tap in the kitchen cupboard a straight On/Off tap or can it be used to control the gas flow to the burners?

Goodness, how complex.

The gas burners have two settings, incinerate and slow incinerate. In between times there is look, take note, lift off, put back on, move half on, shift 2/3rds off.

Have you lot NEVER camped?

A pressure stove, unburnt fuel all over the place or nuclear explosion destroys humanity for 5 miles radius?

Goodness, how complex.

The gas burners have two settings, incinerate and slow incinerate. In between times there is look, take note, lift off, put back on, move half on, shift 2/3rds off.

Have you lot NEVER camped?

A pressure stove, unburnt fuel all over the place or nuclear explosion destroys humanity for 5 miles radius?
I don't have a problem but the original poster does!

I'm sure many of us have camped , but we have standards and eating incinerated food is not one of them, and if that is how you cook then I regret it is not my way.

I do not cook that way. I manage with the tools that I have.

As I am sure everyone does, but that doesn't mean we have to accept any shortcomings that a Forum member might have a fix for or a suggestion.

If you don't ask then you will never know.

Hi Everyone
Thanks for your varied responses, clearly we all have different ways of managing our cooking. I have had many years of camping and used various camping stoves, some with burners that went to a very low heat. In the Cali there is not always room to move pans on and off the heat which means you have to keep extinguishing and relighting the flame.
Looking at the SMEV booklet that came with the Cali it looks like there may be 3 sizes off gas jet, so I will investigate to see if I can find out what has been fitted as standard.
My post was simply to see if anyone else had researched changing the jet size. If I can I will change 1 jet so have option of high/low burners.

Pete

Thanks WelshGas,
The on off tap is only designed as on or off unfortunately so will continue to research altering the jet size. Incinerated food and burnt pans are not my idea of cooking either.

I use a diffuser, I bought the one I am using in the Cali at Lakeland but any cookshop should sell them.

I use a diffuser, I bought the one I am using in the Cali at Lakeland but any cookshop should sell them.
Hi
We have bought a diffuser although not from Lakeland, it seemed okay until it got hot and then didn't seem to reduce heat output.
We also tried a toaster on the burner but have stopped using it because whilst toasting at high heat it pushed the heat sideways and melted the edge of the washing up bowl - so take care, we learnt a lesson
Pete

Problem I have with both my gas hobs is that the flame isn't a 'healthy' looking blue, it's blue with lots of yellow which I'm a bit worried about. I've cleaned the burners and replaced the gas bottle regulator ( about £50 from SMG) neither made any difference. Is there anyone else that has this problem or better still knows how to solve it?

Some questions.
1. When did you change the gas bottle in relation to this colour change?
2. We're both burners affected before you cleaned them?

It is rare for both burners to be affected simultaneously as you rarely use both burners to the same extent unless you are really OCD about evening the wear/use of both burners.

As both burners are affected then it must be something common to both. The Gas composition or the Gas reducing valve ( which you have replaced ) .

Some questions.
1. When did you change the gas bottle in relation to this colour change?
2. We're both burners affected before you cleaned them?

It is rare for both burners to be affected simultaneously as you rarely use both burners to the same extent

As both burners are affected then it must be something common to both. The Gas composition or the Gas reducing valve ( which you have replaced ) .
Hi WelshGas thanks for your interest. This condition has been the same over a period of 6 years using at least 3 different CampingGaz bottles and as I said changing the gas regulator valve made no difference.We do tend to use both burners pretty equally, depends on what side 'the cook' is sitting and it has been known for us to use more than one pot. I just make sure I cook with plenty of ventilation,kitchen and sliding door window or whole door open, and if it's fine cook outside,using an old Tilley double hob (No regulator - about 45 years old) The only other thing I can think of is something in the pipe Work???

Have you compared it to another Cali?

Hi WelshGas thanks for your interest. This condition has been the same over a period of 6 years using at least 3 different CampingGaz bottles and as I said changing the gas regulator valve made no difference.We do tend to use both burners pretty equally, depends on what side 'the cook' is sitting and it has been known for us to use more than one pot. I just make sure I cook with plenty of ventilation,kitchen and sliding door window or whole door open, and if it's fine cook outside,using an old Tilley double hob (No regulator - about 45 years old) The only other thing I can think of is something in the pipe Work???
Normally a yellow flame, as you know, indicates too much gas or too little air. As you have excluded any gas contamination, changed the regulator so presumably excluded too much gas then it is possibly something to do with the actual burners. As Snowy55 suggested, compare with another vehicle or possibly change the burners?
Alternatively have a gas system check at your local Caravan or Motorhome Dealer!
When you said you have cleaned the burners what exactly did you do? There are gas injectors within that are specific to different burners. Maybe this is the problem?

Have you compared it to another Cali?
Hi Snowy55. No I haven't, how's yours, nice healthy totally purplelish/bluish flame? with no yellow or orange ? because that's what my mate has in his 18 year old T4 Holdsworth campervan it's got a double hob with plenty of pressure and great control and also a grill underneath !

Normally a yellow flame, as you know, indicates too much gas or too little air. As you have excluded any gas contamination, changed the regulator so presumably excluded too much gas then it is possibly something to do with the actual burners. As Snowy55 suggested, compare with another vehicle or possibly change the burners?
Alternatively have a gas system check at your local Caravan or Motorhome Dealer!
When you said you have cleaned the burners what exactly did you do? There are gas injectors within that are specific to different burners. Maybe this is the problem?
Hi again WelshGas can't remember how far I went in cleaning the burners. Gas injectors ? Is that the same as what others are calling burner jets ? Are they easy to get at ? I googled 'gas safety checks' and on the 'Out&About Live Forum' tuned into a discussion of gas safety certificates required on French/German campsites which most thought was a wind-up and that motor homes must have a wall mounted gas regulator. On Southdowns Motorhomes website they say for them to carry out gas safety checks, your Motorhome must be fitted with a gas test point, if not, one will be fitted at additional cost. It also shows a photo of gas bottle with a couple of valves on top then the hose goes to a wallmounted regulator and another gas valve one above the other ( presumably the gas test rig point). Have later model Calis got a wall mounted gas regulator?

Hi again WelshGas can't remember how far I went in cleaning the burners. Gas injectors ? Is that the same as what others are calling burner jets ? Are they easy to get at ? I googled 'gas safety checks' and on the 'Out&About Live Forum' tuned into a discussion of gas safety certificates required on French/German campsites which most thought was a wind-up and that motor homes must have a wall mounted gas regulator. On Southdowns Motorhomes website they say for them to carry out gas safety checks, your Motorhome must be fitted with a gas test point, if not, one will be fitted at additional cost. It also shows a photo of gas bottle with a couple of valves on top then the hose goes to a wallmounted regulator and another gas valve one above the other ( presumably the gas test rig point). Have later model Calis got a wall mounted gas regulator?
No they don't.
A Habitation Check is not a legal requirement. VW only state that the flexible Gas tubing in the gas locker should be renewed every 4/5 years.

Last edited:
My understanding is that a gas habitation check is a legal requirement when hiring out a vehicle, are all the people on the new hire part of this website aware of this?

My understanding is that a gas habitation check is a legal requirement when hiring out a vehicle, are all the people on the new hire part of this website aware of this?
It is NOT a legal requirement in Law, BUT may well be a requirement for Insurance purposes especially if Hired out to a 3rd party.
Landlords are required by Law to carry out annual gas safety checks etc: on properties that are rented out.