Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas connection

C

Cate & Pete D

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello. We have bought an Ocean which is 2nd hand but the cooker (along with most of it) has never been connected. Should the connection within the van to the cooker be all set up so we literally just need to connect the bottle and connector on to the bottle. When we do this there is a smell of gas in the back but nothing coming through to the cooker (the main switch below is open). Any advice would be appreciated and apologies for such a basic question but I find gas a bit scary!

You should only need to connect the gas bottle to the regulator (and open the valve on the fitting which screws onto the gas bottle). You might get a quick whiff of gas smell when you're connecting up the bottle, but if that persists then you have a leak somewhere which needs sorting out PDQ. You've definitely opened the valve in the cupboard under the hob?

Let's see a photo of your connection to the bottle. Perhaps there is something obvious?

I would never mess around with leaking gas. I suggest you take the van to a registered motorhome/caravan/campervan gas fitter, get it sorted and get the right paperwork.

Thanks for all replies, I seem to have made the rookie error of opening the waste pipe rather than the hob one.

Did you buy from a dealer or private? If it was from a dealer they should go through the whole process of all the ins and outs and dos and dont’s. But then even from a private purchase some instruction would be good. The roof is the one that can cause the biggest headache. You need to be very careful when lowering it.

Hello. We have bought an Ocean which is 2nd hand but the cooker (along with most of it) has never been connected. Should the connection within the van to the cooker be all set up so we literally just need to connect the bottle and connector on to the bottle. When we do this there is a smell of gas in the back but nothing coming through to the cooker (the main switch below is open). Any advice would be appreciated and apologies for such a basic question but I find gas a bit scary!
Hi @Cate & Pete D
Welcome to the club.
If you peruse the site and explore the options to become VIP Members there will then become available a Search function, which can prove useful to find answers on the many issues that others will often have previously experienced.
There are also other resources available, like a copy of the Owner’s Manual, in case you don’t have one; and you could also find the location of some other members, maybe allowing a ‘meet-up’ to discuss and explain issues you may have.
Regards
Andy