Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas bottle refill in Scandinavia

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Dear all,

Our Grand California came with the Truma Gas Heating, with the 2x 11kg propane cylinders in the back.

In general that is no problem, but I believe that the refilling of the propane cylinders have to be a part of the travel planning for our trip to Scandinavia in 2022. I have read that in all three countries Sweden, Norway and Finland it might not be that easy to get the bottles refilled. We plan to start the journey mid May for about 7x weeks, going up to the Northcap. I can imagine that we need, especially up in the North, overnight heating. So far I have no experience how much propane gas will be used if heating is on overnight. At the moment I feel that there is a high usage, but for some testing and checking I took out the cylinders several time. I believe each time there will be some propane used.

Obviously there are any gas connector standards so I will check for adapters for Irish / UK propane cylinder and what is needed to connect them for refill in Scandinavian countries.

I was wondering for people who have done this trip before and relying on propane cylinders for heating and warm water what were your experience about this? I am grateful for any tips and information.

Happy hopefully warm Grand California,
Eberhard

Dear all,

Our Grand California came with the Truma Gas Heating, with the 2x 11kg propane cylinders in the back.

In general that is no problem, but I believe that the refilling of the propane cylinders have to be a part of the travel planning for our trip to Scandinavia in 2022. I have read that in all three countries Sweden, Norway and Finland it might not be that easy to get the bottles refilled. We plan to start the journey mid May for about 7x weeks, going up to the Northcap. I can imagine that we need, especially up in the North, overnight heating. So far I have no experience how much propane gas will be used if heating is on overnight. At the moment I feel that there is a high usage, but for some testing and checking I took out the cylinders several time. I believe each time there will be some propane used.

Obviously there are any gas connector standards so I will check for adapters for Irish / UK propane cylinder and what is needed to connect them for refill in Scandinavian countries.

I was wondering for people who have done this trip before and relying on propane cylinders for heating and warm water what were your experience about this? I am grateful for any tips and information.

Happy hopefully warm Grand California,
Eberhard
Norway is a gas-producing country. There are changing machines, changing bottles and places for refilling. Problems are solved during visits. Landfills in Norway can also be found on your smart phone.

These guys are a chain of the market leading propane resellers, you wont find butane here, but copy the web address into google translate and you should be able to view in english https://gasolfyllarna.se/

Hello,

I did a bit more research and I believe LPG refillable gas installation in the camper is the best way forward.

I had something like this in mind:

1637685477785.png
1637685527448.png

1637685553047.png

I believe this gives me the best and most convenient gas installation for the camper. What I am not sure is will I go for the 2x 11 kg or 2x 6x kg.

There is a motorhome retailer in Tipperary that does did kind of work. Before christmas I will visit them for a consultation and a price. Everything going well I get this installed before the summer holiday May 2022.

Kind regards,
Eberhard

Looks a good setup, although I’ve heard it’s a long way to.........

Good morning,

I hope that everybody is save and well in this bad weather.

I contacted a few campervan converters in Ireland to see if they would install the refillable gas cylinders and the outside filler mount - but with no luck. Either they don't do this kind of work or they are booked out for months ahead (even I plan an installation in April 2022).

I will (and have) contacted a few installer in Northern Ireland. I got the addresses from either GASIT or Gaslow. The few I contacted have not answered yet.

I contacted Gaslow UK and got a phone call first thing this morning. I spoke to a nice lady which confirmed that there are no official Gaslow installer in RIP, but a few in Northern Ireland.

So the search continues...

Sad propane heated Grand California,
Eberhard

Back