Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas bottle 907

Has anyone picked up a 907 refill at a Go Outdoors recently. It’s showing out of stock on the website but I’m not sure if that’s because the only do it in store or whether they’ve stopped doing it. Need to pick up a refill somewhere on the M5 tomorrow but won’t get to Attwools (my favoured outlet) before they close.
If you want to pull off at J17 just down past the 1st roundabout on Cribbs Causeway is Andy’s Gas. They do Camping Gaz. Worth a call tomorrow.

Alan

Was only 17.90 when I was there in July. Super U.
That's a great price, I've not paid anything as low as that in a number of years.

Super U is obviously the place to look now.

That's a great price, I've not paid anything as low as that in a number of years.

Super U is obviously the place to look now.
Was 19.00 when I bought one a couple of years ago. Probably about the same in £s with the current exchange rate.

Just been to marshal's Tenby. £60 for a new full 907 bottle or £50 for a refill.
Now playing gas roulette instead!

Just been to marshal's Tenby. £60 for a new full 907 bottle or £50 for a refill.
Now playing gas roulette instead!
£35 for a refill at Go Outdoors store last week.

Go outdoors website say they have none in stock near me. Do they actually have them but not advertise it online?
Correct. I was also surprised to see the poster listing the 907 & 904 new and refills. Got my refill from Milton Keynes store.

Andy's Gas - Bristol £35.99 for a refill and great service

Has anyone had the underslung lpg gas cylinder installed, refillable at any LPG station, instead of the campinggaz cylinders?

Not heard of an underslung lpg system. Can it fit in the spare wheel space?

pretty sure you can exchange a full one for another full one if you liked, but you won't get a discount.
-edit - reply to very old question.oops

We have two bottles, a 907 and a 904 (picked up for a fiver from ebay, sadly empty). The 907 ran out last week so swapped both at a local campsite to us, total cost £48 - not sure what the breakdown cost between the two was maybe £20 and £28?

the 907 will stay in the water tank and the 904 used on the cadac which is the preferred method of cooking - with the option of using either as a spare for the other if one runs out. Hopefully both won't go at the same time :rolleyes: but there is a disposable cannister for the cadac in case of emergency (or long distance BBQ like on a beach where carrying the 904 would be a pain)

Re underslung systems, the local transporter converter near me make a big dance about this - being 66 times cheaper than gampinggaz - however the installation cost is high and I suspect on a Cali a lot of work and you don't get back the space inside the water tank unless you want to stuff a pillow in there :)

I guess if your annual gas usage is in the mid hundreds then it might make financial sense but I can't see the cost being recouped by the usage - if you fill a 907 twice a year then that't about £50 a year max saving.

Last edited:
Not heard of an underslung lpg system. Can it fit in the spare wheel space?
It fits in the space behind the spare wheel, you don't lose the spare. The system is not that cheap but refills are very low cost at about £0.70/litre from anywhere LPG is sold. Also since it is propane one does suffer from the problems of butane at low temperatures. LPG is widely available in Europe although one would need a box of adapters. Look at "Gastore campervan under slung". There are You Tube videos.

I looked at this and it's a bit more difficult than it first appears. Underslung would be the way to go.
Any reason why please? Is it a faff with the regulator or the hassle of taking it out to direct fill?

Easy enough to refill campingaz cylinders at home from a calor tank or similar. There's a thread on it here. Saves quite a bit of cash quickly.

ps sufficient heated debate in above thread -- no more required pls, think all the points covered

Last edited:
Any reason why please? Is it a faff with the regulator or the hassle of taking it out to direct fill?

It's not allowed to fill a cylinder directly from an LPG pump and virtually all filling stations will prevent it. A fixed fill point on the vehicle then connecting to the cylinder is required i.e the same as for LPG powered vehicles.
It would be possible to provide this , but access is difficult and my conclusion was, although with difficulty it could no doubt be done, easier to have a proprietary product already designed for the job.

It's not allowed to fill a cylinder directly from an LPG pump and virtually all filling stations will prevent it. A fixed fill point on the vehicle then connecting to the cylinder is required i.e the same as for LPG powered vehicles.
It would be possible to provide this , but access is difficult and my conclusion was, although with difficulty it could no doubt be done, easier to have a proprietary product already designed for the job.
The lpg cylinder is fixed to the vehicle just infront of the rear axel. A fixed filling point is installed just underneath the rear bumper just inboard of the near side rear wheel.

Has anyone fitted the Gaslow 907 equivalent?
I looked into this a while ago and decided it was not possible on the Cali if you wanted to use the existing gas bottle container.

Garages are rather reluctant to you filling a gas bottle on the forecourt so it has to stay in the van.
As the gas container is in the water tank, there is no way I could see to get the filler pipe out enabling it to be accessed from outside the body.

As has been already been said, what would you use the space in the water tank for if it became empty?

Alan