Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas bottle 907

There's an alternative to campingaz that's called Leisuregaz. Same shaped bottles and regulator, but yellow. Find out more here:

https://www.leisuregaz.co.uk/about-us/

I had a look at it ages ago and posted (if you search on me for it) but there were no suppliers local to me. Now I've worked out that we hardly use any gas at all and I already have 1 empty 907 and another nearly full in the van, it wasn't worth doing anything about.

That would become my share of the wardrobe space with the rest being taken by my wife’s stuff!
It would certainly keep your underwear nice and cool

Has anyone had the underslung lpg gas cylinder installed, refillable at any LPG station, instead of the campinggaz cylinders?

I’ve just had one fitted by Propex. Very happy with it.

Mine includes an external bbq point and remote electronic shut gas shut off switch. It has a 12 litre gas capacity and the gas is 60p/ litre at the moment.

004373B7-C344-4BBF-A70F-6F933FD2BE69.jpeg9F9EAA3B-9041-4E03-B902-8D1E2DD2AA40.jpeg

Interesting - can you give us an idea of the cost, fitted. Looks like ~ £500 for the tank inc vat.

Does it come with any other requirements like an annual safety check or is it "fit and forget"

Thanks

Interesting - can you give us an idea of the cost, fitted. Looks like ~ £500 for the tank inc vat.

Does it come with any other requirements like an annual safety check or is it "fit and forget"

Thanks

It was £674 including fitting and VAT.

I think in theory you are supposed to get the cylinder pressure tested once every 10 years, but no maintenance was mentioned. There may be something in paperwork I was given, which I haven’t looked at.

Thanks
In my opinion nothing involving gas is "fit and forget" either at home or in a vehicle. Do you have gas at home and do you get it checked? We now have this system in our T6 LWB high top and will have it checked yearly. Some caravan and motorhome service centres will only do a gas check as part of a full habitation check and charge something like £200. Our LPG approved gas engineer will do a pressure test for free and a full certificated service for £75. Some insurance companies require a yearly gas inspection and certificate.

It was £674 including fitting and VAT.

I think in theory you are supposed to get the cylinder pressure tested once every 10 years, but no maintenance was mentioned. There may be something in paperwork I was given, which I haven’t looked at.
The price also included a set of European adapters.

pretty sure you can exchange a full one for another full one if you liked, but you won't get a discount.
-edit - reply to very old question.oops

We have two bottles, a 907 and a 904 (picked up for a fiver from ebay, sadly empty). The 907 ran out last week so swapped both at a local campsite to us, total cost £48 - not sure what the breakdown cost between the two was maybe £20 and £28?

the 907 will stay in the water tank and the 904 used on the cadac which is the preferred method of cooking - with the option of using either as a spare for the other if one runs out. Hopefully both won't go at the same time :rolleyes: but there is a disposable cannister for the cadac in case of emergency (or long distance BBQ like on a beach where carrying the 904 would be a pain)

Re underslung systems, the local transporter converter near me make a big dance about this - being 66 times cheaper than gampinggaz - however the installation cost is high and I suspect on a Cali a lot of work and you don't get back the space inside the water tank unless you want to stuff a pillow in there :)

I guess if your annual gas usage is in the mid hundreds then it might make financial sense but I can't see the cost being recouped by the usage - if you fill a 907 twice a year then that't about £50 a year max saving.
If people wild camp the majority of the time then eventually an alternative expensive set up would pay but for most who hook up practically every night away, nah.
We use an electric kettle, coffee machine and toaster when on site, some use an induction/electric hob as well, after 85 nights away we were still using the same bottle, admittedly we do eat out a lot but for us the 907 is fine.

Just got back from France—-The larger E Leclerc branches also stock gaz 901 904 907 cylinders and refills at similar prices to above.
The 901 is the optimal size for Cadac/backup etc. Sadly almost obsolete in UK I believe?

How many years to make the investment profitable?
For me, around one or two years, I was using one 907 a month though, and sometimes driving hundreds of miles to find a refill abroad. Campingaz is really not easy to find in some countries, and I have been charged £50 for a refill more than once.

The price also included a set of European adapters.
How is the supply distributed from the tank to the cooker and BBQ point? Are the hoses rubber or stainless?
Where and what type is the regulator?
There have been instances if the tank holding straps corroding; worth a check at Mot time.

How is the supply distributed from the tank to the cooker and BBQ point? Are the hoses rubber or stainless?
Where and what type is the regulator?
There have been instances if the tank holding straps corroding; worth a check at Mot time.
it uses braided hoses routed up through the gas drop out hole and then connecting directly on to the existing factory fitting on the wall of the water tank. I can refit the Campingaz bottle just by stowing the new hose and reconnecting the factory regulator.
All fittings are stainless steel.
The new regulator is at the bottle end somewhere, I don't know what type it is.

For me, around one or two years, I was using one 907 a month though, and sometimes driving hundreds of miles to find a refill abroad. Campingaz is really not easy to find in some countries, and I have been charged £50 for a refill more than once.
Sounds like it's a good investment for you, Lightning. All you need to do is keep an eye on it, like Vagophile says and maybe have it checked regularly (perhaps at MOT time) to give you peace of mind even if it's not one of the recommendations. Seems like you've found a good solution.

Had a similar experience many years ago when we had an LPG car. We would plan the route to include fuel station with LPG (as only a handful had it on the forecourt at the time), only to arrive find that the only pump was out of service & then forced to use petrol (50mile tank range) until we could find an LPG supply. Hopefully coverage is better now.

Had a similar experience many years ago when we had an LPG car. We would plan the route to include fuel station with LPG (as only a handful had it on the forecourt at the time), only to arrive find that the only pump was out of service & then forced to use petrol (50mile tank range) until we could find an LPG supply. Hopefully coverage is better now.
I expect a full LPG tank to last me around a year now, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Ring the store to check - but I picked one up ok from Cribbs Causeway.

I expect a full LPG tank to last me around a year now, so it shouldn’t be a problem.
I was a bit optimistic. A full tank lasts me about 3 months and costs around £6.60 to fill up 12 litres.
I had a problem with a faulty switch which was sorted out by Propex with no hassle.
It is very satisfying to be able to monitor the gas level remotely and to isolate the gas at the press of a button.
I have since checked the paperwork they provide and it specifies an annual pressure check to maintain compliance with the regulations it’s certified to.
I think it was a very good buy for me.

Like Lightning we have an underslung LPG tank, I think 15 litres. We find it works really well. There are two LPG suppliers close by so refiling is easy, about £7 for a fill up. We have a full gas check up every year, gives peace of mind. In some countries, Germany ?, it might be a legal requirement. Very happy with ours.

I see that Chorley Gas 907 price has gone up to £42, 7.5% increase. Must be the Brexit effect

Super U is obviously the place to look now.
Not anymore. I checked a couple of Super U's and a Hyper U last week and none carried Campingaz cylinders. I found a 907 bottle at Intermarche for 55 Euro. Refill's were 25 Euro.

Not anymore. I checked a couple of Super U's and a Hyper U last week and none carried Campingaz cylinders. I found a 907 bottle at Intermarche for 55 Euro. Refill's were 25 Euro.
They had them a month ago but forgot to check when over there last week.

They had them a month ago but forgot to check when over there last week.
Maybe a regional thing. I was checking around Reims but gave up and got one from Intermarche. Do you remember what they cost?