Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Game changers for the Cali. What are yours?

Campervanbits , ie the club shop. Not cheap at £319 but makes life a lot easier. You also lose some storage space. I wouldn't go back though. They are designed for the T6. The sliding door catch is in a different place in the T6. But if you, very carefully remove a few mil from the door catch, it will still work and the drawers will also work. They are soft close too.

View attachment 94320

View attachment 94321
Is this what you mean?
913A9546-3E47-44EE-81FD-3CC000A6F719.jpeg

Would you use this instead of awning tie-down straps, or at the same time as tie-down straps?
The tarps add a level of extra tensions the WO awning

straps add an extra level of security.

you need to assess this for yourself, no one has a definitive answer , do what you need to do based on the conditions

the tarps are great for adding shade and do help with wind resistance, but you need to be happy with what ever you decide to do, never rely on others to advise.

Last edited:
The tarps add a level of extra tensions the WO awning

straps add an extra level of security.

you need to assess this for yourself, no one has a definitive answer , do what you need to do based on the conditions

the tarps are great for adding shade and do help with wind resistance, but you need to be happy with what ever you decide to do, never rely on others to advise.
Thanks for your reply, I was wondering about the securing plates rather than the actual tarps, but your advice does of course still stand :thumb

Thanks for your reply, I was wondering about the securing plates rather than the actual tarps, but your advice does of course still stand :thumb
Appologies, The plates are very good, they allow an increased area to be pegged out with four additional pegs,
personally I do not use tie down straps,
if the weather / wind is strong the WO is put away.

Last edited:
I do love a gadget.
But are we all a bit mad? It is so easy to get caught up in the buying of pointless objects. After 10 yrs we stripped right back to the basics for our recent road trip around Portugal and Northern Spain and it was brilliant. The van is brilliant as it is.

Basics include many of the items mentioned above ;)

I do love a gadget.
But are we all a bit mad? It is so easy to get caught up in the buying of pointless objects. After 10 yrs we stripped right back to the basics for our recent road trip around Portugal and Northern Spain and it was brilliant. The van is brilliant as it is.

I’m with you there.
We cleared out all the crap we used to take and rely on the actual van. Awnings, bbqs etc etc.
We have a rule. It’s must be used within 3 trips or 6 months. If not, it’s taken out of the van.
Less is more :thumb

Yeah It did seem a little odd boiling water in a kettle with rubber sides. But the result is perfect, and the kettle fits better in the drawer so all good.
We prefer an all steel kettle. It's the only thing that doesn't get "put away" for driving. It sits on a piece of non-slip matting on top of the stove. Doesn't move, even on twisty Devon roads, and of course it's colour matched to the Cali.

I do love a gadget.

I think it’s all down to individual requirements and taste. We keep things pretty minimal but there are some additions that have been amazing.

We have kept loads of stuff over from our days of camping in a tent. We have plastic crockery that’s more than 40 years old, handed down from parents. Still going strong. Pretty proud of that!

We’ve never purchased a drive away awning. Always thought they were a bit clunky but that’s just us. We got some Brandrup side and front panels instead, which work well to keep the rain and sun out of our shelter. The electric folding kettle by Kampa is a god send and saves on gas. And I couldn’t possibly live without our Sea2Summit inflatable mattress.

I’m with you there.
We cleared out all the crap we used to take and rely on the actual van. Awnings, bbqs etc etc.
We have a rule. It’s must be used within 3 trips or 6 months. If not, it’s taken out of the van.
Less is more :thumb
We went through this happy “edit” process before our trip to France recently. We didn’t omit much, I’m happy to report. Just a few things that have never really been used.

We added a cute mini wooden chopping board and a sharp knife. And replaced our pots and pans with Tefal ones that include detachable handles. Really made cooking so much easier.

I do wish we’d taken our massive camping chairs which turn into epic sunloungers though.

Our Quechua base seconds tent takes minutes to put up & take down once you’ve got the knack. Easy/quick to drive from campsite for trips ,chucking bed etc into the tent. Invaluable .
Don’t understand why Decathlon/quechua stopped making them.

ED5DD7EC-FD4E-4271-AFF0-1B6FE4DD8058.jpeg
When its raining ,we roll out the awning a bit over front lip of the tent ,so we can step into it. Great changing room ,storage area & extra sitting area.

Last edited:
Our Quechua base seconds tent takes minutes to put up & take down once you’ve got the knack. Easy/quick to drive from campsite for trips ,chucking bed etc into the tent. Invaluable .

View attachment 95323
When weather raining ,we roll out the awning over front lip of the tent ,so we can step into it. Great changing room ,storage area & extra sitting area.
Cinch now make them - they're excellent (like you say once you've got the knack taking it down). Nice positioning idea that I will use, thanks.
https://cinchpopuptents.com/

Last edited:
Some think of buying stand alone aircon or ventilators for the hot nights in the cali when sleeping downstairs but for us this is our game changer:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08F9G5BM1/?tag=eliteelect-21
I bought one of those (or similar) but have never used it for real - I got one of these and use this pretty much every time and rendered that thing redundant.

1995b0_6364c9c582d743f4b373adc894777224~mv2.webp

Biggest game changer for us was joining this forum . Rented a Cali from Martin before buying one. Helped navigate buying Grace 6 years ago at the best discount ,what to check when collecting & purchase the extended warranty.
Its continued to helps us in our Cali journey . Recently buying the 2 year extended warranty, 2 service & 2 year VW assist for £600 + . Good resource for travelling in Europe with our dogs & campsites in UK.
VIP discounts have been used lots.
Thank you VW CaliforniaClub you are a game changer.

Last edited:
I bought one of those (or similar) but have never used it for real - I got one of these and use this pretty much every time and rendered that thing redundant.

1995b0_6364c9c582d743f4b373adc894777224~mv2.webp
We also have such a ventilation insert. Using both together gives a good effect.

I will also add cellular blankets, rather than a duvet. Provides more layering options and even four of them are thin enough to have the bed up in the roof space without removing. (still not quite thin enough to leave in place with roof down of course)

View attachment 95323
When its raining ,we roll out the awning a bit over front lip of the tent ,so we can step into it. Great changing room ,storage area & extra sitting area.
This is an awesome setup! Now we’ve done our first ever week in the van, we’ve learnt so much. Definitely going to get a pop up tent of some kind. For throwing stuff in and allowing us to easily set off and explore in the van for the day.

Also going to remove Cali chairs from boot, use that space to store our sun shades and wind breaks. And take our two massive sun loungers instead, haha!

Bike tent from Halfords for £40. Perfect for our larder cupboard in the middle, clothes bags on the left and chairs/cadac/crates etc on the right. No messing around with a driveaway awning and easy to leave on site if going out for the day. Very quick to set up, and packs down small enough to easily dir in the load through space next to the under bed drawer. Not fully waterproof (small patch of water insider after heavy rain in France one night) however we do also have a driveaway air awning that we use when in the UK.

20220615_153334.jpg

Bike tent from Halfords for £40. Perfect for our larder cupboard in the middle, clothes bags on the left and chairs/cadac/crates etc on the right. No messing around with a driveaway awning and easy to leave on site if going out for the day. Very quick to set up, and packs down small enough to easily dir in the load through space next to the under bed drawer. Not fully waterproof (small patch of water insider after heavy rain in France one night) however we do also have a driveaway air awning that we use when in the UK.

View attachment 95630
Just zoomed in on the photo and looks like you have a bar in there too :cheers

A couple of elastic bands on the security straps for the pop top…….. keeps them out of the way when sliding the tambour back into place (am I the only one who thinks it’s a bit of grief?)
6A9AA761-D2E1-40CC-9075-F4AB4DD84D7E.jpeg

Back