Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel economy

P

Pips Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
i have a thing about trying to get the best economy out of my 5 month old Ocean.
Yesterday I completed a 45 mile return journey and the fuel consumed showed 44.6 mpg. This was using the varied roads in the Scottish Highlands where I live, so the terrain was very mixed.some hills and 70% fairly level. I realise the van computer is probably not too accurate but never the less I was quite pleased with the results. It seems to average around 40 mpg according to the display. I guess I should check the mileage after topping the tank to get an accurate figure.

There's a guy on here who´s done 34 countries in about 300
nights and i think he had some kind of app for filling up
and getting an accurate reading.
I'm more of a fill up and drive, fill up again, it is what it is kind
of guy.

Vehicle mileage recorders aren't 100% accurate (just as the speed indicated isn't) which can give a false mpg figure either + or - the actual. Working to the nearest whole figure is really the best you can calculate.

The most informative and sometimes frightening figure to calculate is the fuel cost per mile which doesn't require any litres to gallons conversion etc.

My MPG varies wildly. Stop-start for a 3 ton van is a killer. Hills generally even out but the hits taken by coming to s stop and then starting again do not even out. For me it's the difference between around 38-40mpg (rural rolling or motorway cruising) and 26-30 (urban grind),

of guy.
MPG is a good indicator of problems.

Recently my MPG dropped by 5-15 MPG. I quickly traced this to my new 17 inch wheels, and tyres. The person who fitted the tyres had underinflated them. I rectified this and MPG seems to have returned to normal- 35-40 MPG not 25-30 MPG.

The app takes only seconds to complete. Put in odometer reading and litres refilled, and the app does the rest. I also use it for adblue consumption.

Tom. What tyre pressure did you put in please ?

Tom. What tyre pressure did you put in please ?
Purely from memory, as Clare has the van, 44/45 front, 39/45 rear (unladen/laden). However, the van is currently unladen and on the higher pressure, and I am very sloppy when it comes to changing the pressure for load. The wheel fitter had inflated to 38 psi.

I quickly traced this to my new 17 inch wheels, and tyres.

I'm shocked and stunned by this.

Amarillo pimped his ride !!!

I thought you were far too sensible for that sort of thing. :)

Pray tell, what have you upgraded to? Pics please. :Grin

Tyre pressure is the no1 thing to save fuel. As mine is an Ocean I class it as Laden all of the time so use those pressures. Bumping them back to those levels always gets my mpg smiling.

My MPG varies wildly. Stop-start for a 3 ton van is a killer. Hills generally even out but the hits taken by coming to s stop and then starting again do not even out. For me it's the difference between around 38-40mpg (rural rolling or motorway cruising) and 26-30 (urban grind),
Granny Jen, have you been jogging on the accelerator pedal, you do have 4motion and the big engine though! ;)

I turn off the stop start fasciitis as I can’t beleive it saves fuel for a couple of second stop. I also find it irritating even though the vehicle does restart quickly when you need to move off.

of guy.
Do you know the name of the app?

I suppose it could be worked out easily enough, by fuel used and miles done which I guess the app does for you. I never was very good at maths!

Do you know the name of the app?
It’s called Road Trip on iOS. There is a free version (one vehicle) or a paid version (more than one).

F233F8EA-3FED-48A3-AB77-870D9A399673.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can conquer the technology and put it on mi old I phone!

MPG doesn't worry me anymore. Deprecation is the biggest cost per mile. We owned a vehicle that did 30mpg however for ever gallon of fuel it used it cost us £47 in deprecation.

I have a runaround now that does about 15mpg but deprecation is non existent.

Just been to & from the Scottish Highlands --

measured over ~1000 miles my new Beach (with awning + bike rack) averaged ~34 miles per gallon, is this OK or excessive?

i was driving about 70mph on the motorways which made up the bulk of the distance

Just been to & from the Scottish Highlands --

measured over ~1000 miles my new Beach (with awning + bike rack) averaged ~34 miles per gallon, is this OK or excessive?

i was driving about 70mph on the motorways which made up the bulk of the distance

Cap your speed at 58 mph and you will average over 40 mpg.

Back