Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel economy

Resurrecting thread to ask a question.
Life is a journey in our Ocean so we drive everywhere at 60mph, pretty bohemian. This 6.1 was showing 48.7mpg on a 150 mile th motorway trip but when the fuel gauge got to its first red light the range showed as 95 miles. I topped up after 20 miles when the range displayed 85.
Have I got an ultra efficient Ocean or do I need to get it checked out?
I have a 6.1 as well. Normally cruise at 70mph and can achieve nearly 40mpg so if you are bimbling around at 60mph your 48.7mpg sounds feasible. Have you taken the kitchen out though to reduce the weight? :D

I have a 6.1 as well. Normally cruise at 70mph and can achieve nearly 40mpg so if you are bimbling around at 60mph your 48.7mpg sounds feasible. Have you taken the kitchen out though to reduce the weight? :D
I’ve never bimbled before, I’m hoping that low speeds will be beneficial for goatee beard growth.
Cheers sub

We have recently acquired our Coast and I am in agreement with @Amarillo on this #126 and #128. I much prefer the less stressed drive that comes with cruising around 60mph on the ACC. We seem to be averaging just over 40mpg measured brim to brim. We do not use the van for any short journey as that is where mpg does take a right hammering.

The MFD trip computer seems to be a little optimistic and tends to over read by around 5 to 10%. Strangely enough when we collected the van and drove the 300 miles home the trip meter was showing just over 50mpg for the first 150 miles then upon reset when refuelling the figure dropped to around 40+ ……weird :)

40mpg / approx 650miles range basis 75l full tank
48.7mpg / approx 800miles range basis 75l full tank

@Stu@rt off topic I know, but can I ask how you get any other emoji than a smiley face? I can only manage the colon and half bracket to get a smiley face…..I tried to select ones of the iPad but I get in a right two and eight!

@Stu@rt off topic I know, but can I ask how you get any other emoji than a smiley face? I can only manage the colon and half bracket to get a smiley face…..I tried to select ones of the iPad but I get in a right two and eight!

If I may butt in ...:oops::):shocked

On the message panel where you type in a reply,

top menu gives you formatting options

Last choice, three dots

click on that and an extra bar opens up

first choice in the extra bar are the smiley options

Last choice, three dots

:agreed

Hello,

I am not so familiar with MPG but with my T6 Ocean I got about 7 - 8 l/100 km, which I thought is brilliant.

Reading 48 mpg (which should be 4.8 l/100 km) seems super phantastic... maybe a good bit to be true.

My wifes Toyota Corolla Hybrid gets about 4.7 l/100 km, which I thought is ok.

I am so jealous. With the GC 600 I get about 10 - 11 l/100 km.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

I am not so familiar with MPG but with my T6 Ocean I got about 7 - 8 l/100 km, which I thought is brilliant.

Reading 48 mpg (which should be 4.8 l/100 km) seems super phantastic... maybe a good bit to be true.

My wifes Toyota Corolla Hybrid gets about 4.7 l/100 km, which I thought is ok.

I am so jealous. With the GC 600 I get about 10 - 11 l/100 km.

Regards,
Eberhard
I managed to get 60 mpg coming down from Pas de la cassa In Andorra into Spain. Oh forgot to mention I was getting 18 mpg on the way up. Anyone who gets 48 mpg average should get a job with VW PR department. They would love you......

You lot must have to much time on your hands.
Admin, can you change my name please to LeadFoot…

:Stig
View attachment 91348
Gives me some comfort - first big trip we had the van fully loaded, and got average of 31.4 mpg over to, from and around the New Forest from Derbyshire. With an empty van we hit 40 mpg on a 50 mile journey.

I got this on a trip from East Sussex to North Yorks last August, a personal best thus far!E0A3BB56-51F1-4AB0-9426-4EBFC7B9ED8D.jpeg

Last choice, three dots

:Depressed:):Stig:thumb;):(:mad::eek:

Haha, found it! Thanks @GrannyJen :bananadance2

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
Resurrecting thread to ask a question.
Life is a journey in our Ocean so we drive everywhere at 60mph, pretty bohemian. This 6.1 was showing 48.7mpg on a 150 mile th motorway trip but when the fuel gauge got to its first red light the range showed as 95 miles. I topped up after 20 miles when the range displayed 85.
Have I got an ultra efficient Ocean or do I need to get it checked out?
On my run to the Ferry I have 2 route options, one motorway and the other mainly a mix of dual carriageway and motorway but with a multitude of roundabouts and quite a few traffic lights.

With various vehicles including the Cali as much as 12mpg more can be achieved by the motorway route as opposed to the other 'cross country' route. Motorway is a less reliable route for accurate ETA due to frequent holdups. M1-M25-M3.

Checking both Sat Nav & Google distances for a route both indicate that the Cali odometer is no more accurate than the speedo reading.
That would lead Apps to use inaccurate mileage data for any calculation.

This was our MFD week before last:
20220401_210049.jpg
So many different factors affect it, I was taking it easy, 50 to 60 mph, away from Motorways, and not fully loaded.
And, appreciate MFD is not accurate to actual figures, but I use as a guide...

I managed to get 60 mpg coming down from Pas de la cassa In Andorra into Spain. Oh forgot to mention I was getting 18 mpg on the way up. Anyone who gets 48 mpg average should get a job with VW PR department. They would love you......
similar, from lecht ski area, 12 mpg up and 70mpg down.

You lot must have to much time on your hands.
Admin, can you change my name please to LeadFoot…

:Stig
View attachment 91348
Aye if I drive like I would like to its 32MPG on MFD.
With lots of care high 30' or low 40's are possible but its mostly Highland west coast A road's, twisty and hilly.

I’m sceptical of the 48.7mpg myself however fill up to fill up have me 43mpg average.

Strange time and long May they last through subsequent fill ups

I've got the 204 Ocean, on long smooth rides (keeping a constant speed) I can easily get just over 40mpg, so 48mpg is probably doable with a tailwind in a 150.

The killer is town driving with lots of start:stop where you're lucky to get 30mpg!

I’m sceptical of the 48.7mpg myself however fill up to fill up have me 43mpg average.

Strange time and long May they last through subsequent fill ups
I often see low 40s mpg when on motorways on the computer but when it comes to tank full to tank full average that’s a different story. Probably looking at nearer to mid to high 30s. You really cannot get a true average mpg of nearly 50. If that was true you really do have one very special vehicle for something that weighs 2.1/2 tons.

I often see low 40s mpg when on motorways on the computer but when it comes to tank full to tank full average that’s a different story. Probably looking at nearer to mid to high 30s. You really cannot get a true average mpg of nearly 50. If that was true you really do have one very special vehicle for something that weighs 2.1/2 tons.
Just driving south through France now at 70 rather than 60. Mpg showing 38.7 so it’s costing, perhaps, 25% more in fuel to go 10mph faster. Sounds odd!

I’ve just driven to Alicante, fully loaded and four bikes on the rear. Kept below 130kph (80mph).

Started with a full tank then two refuels. First refuel was limited to 150 Euros so not a full tank.
32.65 mpg; MFD gave 29.7 mpg
27.44mpg; MFD gave 30.2 mpg

Just driving south through France now at 70 rather than 60. Mpg showing 38.7 so it’s costing, perhaps, 25% more in fuel to go 10mph faster. Sounds odd!
Old rule of thumb that I used on cars is for eery 10mph over 50mph you lose 3mpg. Probably more loss with a van.
eg 40 mpg + 50mph - 34mpg + 70mph

Back