Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel Consumption:

J

John Rowson

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just wondered if anyone might be interested in my 'Racechip' that I run on my 2015, DSG Cali. I got 45.9 mpg this morning on the way to work. I know you can knock 10% off the trip computer reading for a true consumption, but I thought that was quite good for a T5. Mainly motorway and it was 10 degrees (engines like cool damp!) over about 26 miles. I kept slightly under the speed limit (for a change). Fuel Con_12Sep17.JPG

Is this similar to a re-map? Before recently coming back to the Cali gang, I had a Defender and I did a lot of research on re-maps. Owners all reported that a proper map made the vehicle a lot easier to drive and more fuel efficient. Have Californias been de-tuned to meet EU emission targets or are they as good as they get without potential damage to engines?

Hi, I did some research into this and I had also run a RaceChip on my Smax. If you go onto the Racechip website they explain everything. It's German and is TUV approved. They don't exceed the torque limitations of the gearbox or any other parameters and I have been using it for over 20,000 miles without any issues. It's removable and seems very robust. I only had the entry level but there are various ones to suit your needs and/or pocket. I don't think it's because Californias have been de-tuned (my T5 is EU5) but manufacturers can differentiate models by having the same Base engine but with different power outputs which, these days, is relatively easy to do electronically. Hope this is helpful.

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Is this something that plugs into the OBD port? If it is, then I guess that it could be removed if it had to go to the dealer?

Cheers

Steve

It just 'Tees' into the common rail injector connection harness and yes, it can be removed before going to a dealer etc. Just unplug the common rail connection, plug in one end to the injector rail and the other into the harness connection. I just gave a bit of fun with the connector latching system. Oh, and by the way when you initially install it there's an installation process. It's easy. Easy. Even I can do it.

Back