Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel consumption and tyre change - observation.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
This is NOT a complaint, just an observation. I do a lot of miles 21,000 in my first 12 months. I don't drive for economy. My average fuel consumption is 30.1 mpg based on actual fuel consumption.
I have BlueMotion and of course part of that package is " low rolling resistance tyres".
I recently changed tyres all round to Goodyear Cargo Vector All Seasons. Fuel consumption has dropped to 29.4 mpg.
So it would seem that these Low Rolling Resistance Tyres do make a difference. So I wonder what changes you get in fuel consumption from Summer to Winter tyres, or real world of motoring tyres.
Makes a mockery of these manufacturers mpg figures and emissions data.

It would be interesting to check what the fuel efficiency ratings are for the two tyres, have a look on blackcircles.com or similar websites where the information should be listed.

It also could be that the cooler weather has an effect on the fuel consumption ....

From past experience of the Cali and Yeti (both 4wd), both on winter tyres between end of November and end of March I reckon it makes about 5% difference to the fuel consumption. Not all that is due to the tyres of course, more cold starts, longer to get the engine up to temperature (and I'm not talking about coolant temperature shown on the dash gauge) and possibly a bit of wheel spin in bad conditions.
TBH I don't think the winter tyres makes the vehicle handle much worse than on summers and can't really detect any noise difference. I guess if you drive on the limit of the tyres capability (which I don't) there is a definite difference but for normal use I reckon it's pretty much unnoticable.
Not sure but I think winter diesel also has a lower calorific value which won't help consumption.

WG. Have you checked the rolling radius of both winter and summer tyres. Maybe the winters are slighly smaller than the summers in which case the engine will be doing more revs for a given speed. Just a thought.

Can't even find the tyres originally fitted but the Goodyears are E rated and it is probably a combination, tyres, ambient temperatures and the heavy winds, not helpful on the motorways.
But you can see how the vehicle manufacturers get their mpg figures which we cannot duplicate in the real world.

29.4 mpg?

I regularly get 40-42mpg, no bluemotion

29.4 mpg?

I regularly get 40-42mpg, no bluemotion
Good for you. I just enjoy the drive.
Not hung up about fuel consumption. Just making an observation regarding the difference different tyres make and how the manufacturers economy figures are so easily manipulated and I'm sure if I really, really tried I could get close to your figures, but then I don't like travelling in the slow lane and life is too short not to enjoy yourself.

Hmmm have the same tyres. I think my average is around 31.5mpg for 6000miles. 32 to 36mpg on a run. A little more if sub 70mph.

Good for you. I just enjoy the drive.
Not hung up about fuel consumption. Just making an observation regarding the difference different tyres make...
Fair point and I don't obsess about fuel economy either. Just surprised at the size of the difference!

Not too fussed with the Cali due to the size and weight. Seems to defeat the object.

On the other vehicle the current average is around 280mpg with around £17.50 worth of electricity for the approx. 400miles clocked up so far.

I get around 31mpg on winters, but then difficult to compare because of the climatic conditions prevailing summer to winter.

Back