Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front window blind - torn on first use!

S

swigle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
... and not through misuse!

Mine is the type with 2 'tent poles' ...

Day one of 2 week trip (Spain/France), so out came the blinds to be used for the first time in anger (excluding the first 'trial run' the day after pick up) - assembled poles, first pole in ... and it tore straight through the fabric in the 'pocket' it fits into, right along the stitched edge!

Have ummed and ahhhed about doing a running repair, but have decided to leave it as is, as evidence for VW when I get back in a few days.

Try and get hold of sticky Velcro patches. I don't use the poles. Just stick one to windscreen on each top corner and one in the middle. Do so on the fabric. Let it hang. It's so much easier than the poles.

Swap it for the new style if you can. Ours just goes on the sun visors & stuffs down the bottom of the windscreen.

I (and I am sure) many other Cali owners have been through this loop.

We also ended up with scratches on the dash & the blooming thing still does/did not blank out all the light. :cry:
This is (Probably) the worse part of the whole Cali kit & a poor solution to not having the proper front blinds that are fitted on the LHD versions.

The only (and best solution) is to get a (genuine) front Silver Screen. (these are also better than front Cali LHD blinds as well) :thumb

:cool:

CannellWalker said:
Swap it for the new style if you can. Ours just goes on the sun visors & stuffs down the bottom of the windscreen.

That's what I'm hoping to do, hence not repairing it (also, needles and thread are blooming expensive in France!)

The front blind is a bit daft but having looked around, I can't really find anything better.

Don't want an external screen as it'll get wet and possibly scuff the paint and the alternative "sucker" internal ones appear to fall off at the first sign of condensation.

The supplied ones also fit very well into a tiny bag and I reckon the side screens are actually quite good.

Might look into the newer type at some stage. Do they work okay?

the sucker ones work pretty well, two things to note though on the T5.1 the suckers will not stick on the bit behind the mirror as it is rough, but more annoyingly the DPF sticker is right on the edge of the sucker so needs removing.

The new type is easy to fit. There are two small pockets for the outer ends of the sun visors. The bottom of it just stuffs at the bottom of the windscreen. It does droop a bit but it blocks the light out fine.

CannellWalker said:
The new type is easy to fit. There are two small pockets for the outer ends of the sun visors. The bottom of it just stuffs at the bottom of the windscreen. It does droop a bit but it blocks the light out fine.

Sounds good. Anyone sell them yet?!

My old style has broken twice and been sewn up, so I am expecting VW to replace for free....

Have never used the blind supplied - took one look and ordered some silver screens for front windows - no problem with these....

I bought the Brandrup Isolite internal ones. As long as you fit them correctly we get no condensation on the doors and only a tiny bit on the windscreen. They work just as well in the summer as the winter and store flat on the upstairs bed when not in use. The roof closes no bother with them there too. Loads better than the VW ones and defo keep the light out!!!

Cheers

Ian

2012 180DSG and Duvalays.

IanBuckle said:
I bought the Brandrup Isolite internal ones. As long as you fit them correctly we get no condensation on the doors and only a tiny bit on the windscreen. They work just as well in the summer as the winter and store flat on the upstairs bed when not in use. The roof closes no bother with them there too. Loads better than the VW ones and defo keep the light out!!!

Cheers

Ian

2012 180DSG and Duvalays.

These do look interesting. Easy to fit?

Absolute doddle. Door ones are velcro dots on the frame and little strips on the silver screens. The windscreen is a single velcro strip which we havent bothered to put on as the screen fits pretty tight without it just using the sunvisors. It even has a niffty split hole for the rear view mirror to ensure a proper German accurate fit.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

swigle said:
CannellWalker said:

That's what I'm hoping to do, hence not repairing it (also, needles and thread are blooming expensive in France!)

Blind replaced with same style by VW Leicester under warranty.
I'll be reinforcing the corner stitching before using it this time ...

Steve

Back