Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front and Rear Side lights staying on.

M

Mysacek

Just got back from bank holiday away in my 2010 California...very nice!... however not so nice was when I turned off engine and lights, got out and noticed both front and rear parking/side lights were still on i.e. All 4x lamps..[The light switch was definitely in the "0" position]. After a while they decided to go off by themselves. But then when I remotely opened and then relocking the van it caused them to come back on and stay on again! Can any of you good people help me with this one?. Is it a relay problem or some such?

It is a head scratcher and the problem is compounded by fact that I can't locate the fuses to prevent the said lights from coming on and staying on again and thence flattening the battery. They are not fuses 20 and 21 on Fuse Holder B as staed in some listings I've sourced. Mine seems later arrangement than that but then on any later arrangements I can't seem to find fuses related to Side or Parking lights? Only head lights?

Any guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

This sounds like the 'return home' feature where the lights stay on after you have locked the vehicle to light your way to your front door. Similarly they come on when you unlock the vehicle so you can find your way to it - honest. I'm not making this up.

I have a 2016 Ocean. It operates in the above mode if the lights are on auto but not when they are off. The 2010 may have different defaults.

Has it only just started doing this? If so then a reset of some sort may be required. I'm not sure if you can do this yourself or will need to visit a dealer - others may know.

Thanks DM for replying!

No, my van doesn't have "return home" feature. My side lights actually stay on continually now (... they were going off eventually previously). The only way I can stop the battery from draining is to disconnect it. Can't locate the specific fuses so killed everything (is not fuses 20 and 21 as shown on some Fuse listings)...

It's only started misbehaving this week.. the 6 years prior I've had no problems.

Maybe it's the light switch? Not sure if anyone else has had similar problem?

Sounds like a switch issue then. Frustrating that the fuse listings appear incorrect.

Hi DM. Yeah I'm thinking light switch... good first call before bigger investigation at dealer!

The fuse listings are correct... it's just there are different variations depending on the van age/chassis number. I've been through all four fuse box listings for 2010 california and can see no mention of side or parking lights! Eariler models do mention specific fuses for side/parking lights.

Can anyone shed light on what fuse(s) I should be pulling for side/parking lights on 2010 California? Help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

No. There is no fuse cards. Found listing on internet but there is no specific mention of side or parking lights for any of the fuse boxes. John, I think for your vehicle (2006) it's fuses 20 and 21 in fuse box B. For my 2010 van they have changed the electrics and 20 and 21 are no longer for parking lights any more... they are something totally unrelated.

Does anyone know which fuses I need to pull for 2010 vehicle?

No. There is no fuse cards. Found listing on internet but there is no specific mention of side or parking lights for any of the fuse boxes. John, I think for your vehicle (2006) it's fuses 20 and 21 in fuse box B. For my 2010 van they have changed the electrics and 20 and 21 are no longer for parking lights any more... they are something totally unrelated.

Does anyone know which fuses I need to pull for 2010 vehicle?

I would not be so sure VW have a habit of changing fuse locations and not informing anyone, a friend had a 2008 cali and fuse location was different to mine

Instead of pulling the fuse why not disconnect the light switch it's a very easy job.

Turn light switch to off
push middle in towards the dash
turn clockwise towards sidelights
pull towards you.

Then disconnect the wiring plug from behind, if your lights go off you have a faulty switch.

Thanks for advice. I disconnected the light switch plug as you said... however the lights are still on! Hmmm... the plot thickens.

assuming you indicator stalk isn't set to on (which will trigger the side lights when you remove the ignition key):
Have you had a VW service recently? Often they'll patch the OBD without telling you. I once had hill start enabled on my 2010 T5.1 without my realising after a patch was applied during routine servicing
Have you installed a new stereo or done any other electrical work recently? If so you may have accidentally disabled the light sensor in the stereo
If none of the above, have you run diagnostics to check for errors?

Hi Fred. Many thanks for the feedback...

Not the indicator stalk as both front and both back parking lights are on.

Yes, think I'll have to take it to a dealer to run a diagnostic.

That said I can't get the van to a dealer just yet so it would still be nice to know which fuse I need to pull to kill the lights rather than having to disconnect the battery. Any help on this? Cheers

Hi Fred. Many thanks for the feedback...

Not the indicator stalk as both front and both back parking lights are on.

Yes, think I'll have to take it to a dealer to run a diagnostic.

That said I can't get the van to a dealer just yet so it would still be nice to know which fuse I need to pull to kill the lights rather than having to disconnect the battery. Any help on this? Cheers

Where abouts are you, maybe someone near you has vcds & could run error checks to get some idea of what may have happened.

Hi Mysacek - It looks like i'm having a very similar issue to you. Did you get it sorted? what was the issue in the end? Cheers

Hi Mysacek - It looks like i'm having the exact same issue with my 2010 cali - did you manage to sort it in the end? what was the issue? Cheers

Are your lights still on ?
How are the batteries coping ?

Lights still on! Batteries are coping well I think- got the van on hook up which appears to be charging the starter battery.