Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge question

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Does the fridge work whilst you are driving? If so and you stop for a few hours can you switch the van to camping mode so the fridge continues to works, lock up and leave the van??
I have tried a search but I can't find a definitive answer. Thanks

Does the fridge work whilst you are driving? If so and you stop for a few hours can you switch the van to camping mode so the fridge continues to works, lock up and leave the van??
Turn it on and it will run for days, driving or just parked up.

Turn it on and it will run for days, driving or just parked up.
Oh thanks, so no need to switch to camper mode then, I guess the issue will be remembering to turn it off then when you no longer need it ..

You do get a permanently illuminated symbol on the overhead display when the fridge is switched on as a reminder.

As has already been said.See above.

To get maximum usage time it is good practice to cool the fridge down for 24 hrs beforehand whilst plugged into a Mains power supply and any items added prior to departure chilled in your kitchen fridge before adding.
I put cans , gin and tonic and bottles beer in beforehand and switch on the fridge and then add cold meats, cheese, milk etc: from the kitchen fridge 24 hrs later. Salad stuff etc: should go at the top and to the front of the fridge as the rear wall is where the heat exchanger is. So alcohol etc: against back wall as it has a lower freezing point. Also have some form of spacer on the base and back wall to ensure some air circulation.
It's worth getting a cheap fridge thermometer as well.

As has already been said.See above.

To get maximum usage time it is good practice to cool the fridge down for 24 hrs beforehand whilst plugged into a Mains power supply and any items added prior to departure chilled in your kitchen fridge before adding.
I put cans , gin and tonic and bottles beer in beforehand and switch on the fridge and then add cold meats, cheese, milk etc: from the kitchen fridge 24 hrs later. Salad stuff etc: should go at the top and to the front of the fridge as the rear wall is where the heat exchanger is. So alcohol etc: against back wall as it has a lower freezing point. Also have some form of spacer on the base and back wall to ensure some air circulation.
It's worth getting a cheap fridge thermometer as well.

Nice List, you live well while traveling, WG.

My van fridge has been running constantly since March last year, apart from a small number of hours to defrost the outer wall.

Back