Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge for a 3 seater - CFX 28 vs CFX 40

T

tomsattauk

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

We are picking up a beach next week and looking to order a fridge. I've been reading up and it seems most people have the smaller of these , but it looks like the bigger one would still fit below shelf in the boot. Since we have 2 small children , I was leaning towards the bigger one (it looks like it is closer to the size of the one in the Ocean too) . I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any insights as to whether this was a good move or not.

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 12.51.29.pngScreenshot 2019-10-11 at 12.51.35.png

Thanks!

Hi,

We are picking up a beach next week and looking to order a fridge. I've been reading up and it seems most people have the smaller of these , but it looks like the bigger one would still fit below shelf in the boot. Since we have 2 small children , I was leaning towards the bigger one (it looks like it is closer to the size of the one in the Ocean too) . I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any insights as to whether this was a good move or not.

View attachment 51389View attachment 51390

Thanks!
We have a similar family to you: 2 boys ages 4 & 5 and find the 28 can contain sufficient for four for four nights if you use long life milk and only refrigerate open milk cartons.

We have the CFX 28 and keep it in one of five positions:
  • behind the front passenger seat
  • portrait orientation under the multiflex
  • landscape orientation under the shortened multiflex
  • in the awning room
  • in the driveaway awning
So long as the dimensions will allow it to go in those positions, the only downside to the larger fridge is the slightly higher price.

I have the CF40, its brilliant and holds a lot of food and drink. I keep ours in the cab area as we have a slidepod. I think if I was buying again I would go for the 28l instead for a smaller form factor.

Last edited:
We have a similar sized family (2 girls aged 8 & 10) and have a 41l fridge which is brilliant.

For us the 28l would be too small I think.

We've got an Intel TB41 bu they do a 31 which is in between the two if that helps?

Indel 31l fridge We bought ours from Marine Superstore.

I have the CF40, its brilliant and holds a lot of food and drink. I keep ours in the cab area as we have a slidepod. I think if I was buying again I would go for the 28l instead for a smaller form factor.
Will it fit under the multiflex, and if it does can it fit in a portrait orientation under the extended multiflex, and landscape under the shortened multiflex?

Hi we have the CFX 40 and the 3 seater beach T6. Bought that and a 35 to see what worked best. Sold the 35 unused as it was just a little too small for our needs - we need to take a lot of food with us as youngest is tube fed, plus I like my beverages ice cold.

It is heavy and bulky but is amazing and lasts for days on leisure battery. Fits nicely under multi flex in boot but mostly we have it behind front passenger seat.

This summer we also bought the CF11 to fit between front seats. Lives there permanently and great for day trips/long journey for packed lunches. Lot of outlay but both have been good decisions and will last.

In readiness for my inbound beach, I grabbed the CF11 as someone shared a link on here with close to 50% off - these things are crazy expensive! It is pretty small, but it will do for our needs as a day van / overnight camper.

Cfx 35 in a 3 seater beach, ideal, best purchase ever, enough room for 3- 4 days food + vino, beer etc.

We’ve got one of the below, fits under the bed board. Got ours from go outdoors.

In readiness for my inbound beach, I grabbed the CF11 as someone shared a link on here with close to 50% off - these things are crazy expensive! It is pretty small, but it will do for our needs as a day van / overnight camper.
Very very efficient those little ones.

Would you mind sharing that good deal? We are considering one as our "freezer".

We have a Beach with the three seat rear bench and we also have the CFX35. It lived under the multiflex board on a pull out tray. From memory, I think that the only different in external diamensions between the CFX 35 and the CFX 40 is the height. As the CFX 35 fits under the Multiflex with minimal clearance I question whether the CFX 40 would fit in this location?

The height of the Beach multiflex above the floor is 480mm, 475mm above the floor rails. There are two gadgets under the Beach Multiflex which noticeably lower its usable height. These can easily be removed with little loss of amenity.

CFX 28
Dimensions product depth 620 mm
Dimensions product height 425 mm
Dimensions product width 342 mm

CFX 35
Dimensions product depth 629 mm
Dimensions product height 411 mm
Dimensions product width 398 mm

CFX 40
Dimensions product height 461 mm

The height of the Beach multiflex above the floor is 480mm, 475mm above the floor rails. There are two gadgets under the Beach Multiflex which noticeably lower its usable height. These can easily be removed with little loss of amenity.

CFX 28
Dimensions product depth 620 mm
Dimensions product height 425 mm
Dimensions product width 342 mm

CFX 35
Dimensions product height 411 mm

CFX 40
Dimensions product height 461 mm

So from the above measurements the CFX 40 would in theory fit under the Multiflex with a maximum of 19mm to spare. But would it clear the handle and mechanism for folding the front half of the Multifex? That can't be removed. The other issue to keep in mind is the weight of a fully loaded CFX40. You wouldn't want to lug that out of the boot to open it too often. So a sliding tray would also be advisable. That would also eat into the available clearance. So I'm still not convinced it would work.

Does anybody have a CFX40 in their boot beneath the multiflex? If you have could you please comment?

I’d go smaller, you’ll always fill a bigger fridge but with small kids you need the boot space.
We have the Outwell deepcool 28L and find it fine. Yes more cold beer is alway good but it’s totally fine and I’m grateful it’s not physically larger when I’m ramming in the toy buggy and balls and dressing up outfits we seem to take camping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So from the above measurements the CFX 40 would in theory fit under the Multiflex with a maximum of 19mm to spare. But would it clear the handle and mechanism for folding the front half of the Multifex? That can't be removed. The other issue to keep in mind is the weight of a fully loaded CFX40. You wouldn't want to lug that out of the boot to open it too often. So a sliding tray would also be advisable. That would also eat into the available clearance. So I'm still not convinced it would work.

Does anybody have a CFX40 in their boot beneath the multiflex? If you have could you please comment?
The width between the multiflex frame and the front lowering handle is 495mm either side. My concern would be the length. I have Muji Drawers which are 550mm deep and they are a fairly snug fit between the lowering bar at the front of the multiflex and the rear edge which is 540mm.

The height between the lowering bar and the floor is 462mm - BUT, the height between the lowering bar and the rails is 457mm, so for the CFX40 to fit in a portrait orientation you would need to be able to position it so its feet went either side of the floor rails.

I have little doubt that the CFX40 would fit in a landscape orientation under the multiflex board.

I have the 40 under multi flex. Fits fine. Doubt it would fit with a slide out boot tray. On the list for future. So yes it’s not easy getting at it for stuff. Though I often just raise the rear part of multiflex and clip it up - gives more access space.

But you’re quite right fully loaded it’s a good workout to carry any distance. Find a two person lift better.

We have a similar sized family (2 girls aged 8 & 10) and have a 41l fridge which is brilliant.

For us the 28l would be too small I think.

We've got an Intel TB41 bu they do a 31 which is in between the two if that helps?

Indel 31l fridge We bought ours from Marine Superstore.

We had a TB41 and had ours on a sliding rack under the 3 seat multiflex .
Wouldn’t have wanted anything smaller as we kept all our food and drink in there. That was just two of us.

btw, the indel TB41 was a super box.
Very well built, but expensive

I have the 40 under multi flex. Fits fine. Doubt it would fit with a slide out boot tray. On the list for future. So yes it’s not easy getting at it for stuff. Though I often just raise the rear part of multiflex and clip it up - gives more access space.

But you’re quite right fully loaded it’s a good workout to carry any distance. Find a two person lift better.
Thanks Steve, that's very interesting. Could you please clarify the following for me:

1. Did you have to remove any of the fittlngs from the underside of the Multiplex to make it fit?
2. What clearance you have left between the top of the fridge and the underside of the Multiflex (including fittings)?
3. How do you position your fridge, e.g longways on the nearside or offside or accross the boot at the very rear?

I have a Calicap pull out tray and this information should help me to establish if the CFX 40 would still fit under the Multiflex if it were on the tray. The tray reduces the working height only minimally. If it would fit I think both you and other owners would find a pull out tray a vast improvement. You just operate the catches and the entire boot contents slides out enabling easy access. No more kneeling on wet grass whilst tunneling to the rear of the boot. The fridge lid could then be raised without moving bedding or raising the rear of the Multiflex.

We had a TB41 and had ours on a sliding rack under the 3 seat multiflex .
Wouldn’t have wanted anything smaller as we kept all our food and drink in there. That was just two of us.

btw, the indel TB41 was a super box.
Very well built, but expensive

Agree it is excellent. We decided on the Indel as had read that the aftersales service was better with Webasto than Dometic (although we haven't had any issues so can't comment on that).

Marine Superstore have the TB41 for £499 at the moment which is a really good price, better than when we got ours and were a good company to deal with. @Borris fyi if you are considering one.

Agree it is excellent. We decided on the Indel as had read that the aftersales service was better with Webasto than Dometic (although we haven't had any issues so can't comment on that).

Marine Superstore have the TB41 for £499 at the moment which is a really good price, better than when we got ours and were a good company to deal with. @Borris fyi if you are considering one.

Here was my old TB41 in my old Beach...

8FECD984-A74F-4095-9E31-05A9A4D96627.jpeg
FD9D3155-E259-4F81-A666-2A004866E09B.jpeg

Thanks. We already have a CFX35 so unless that becomes terminal we aren't looking for a new fridge just yet.

I have the 40 under multi flex. Fits fine.
Very useful information. Was I about right with my measurements i.e. is clearance below the bar at the front of the multiflex a matter of mm? Does it fit in a portrait orientation below the extended multiflex and in a landscape orientation when the front of the multiflex is dropped?

Hi Lemondrop,
We just bought a TB31 from Marine Superstore after going through all the fridge threads on here. Ours has a plug for the 12v socket and a 2 pin plug with it, not a 3 pin, did yours? If so, do you just use the 12v socket or an adapter so it can plug into the 3 pin socket when on hook up?
Thanks, Bev

Last edited: