Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French Municipals!

S

Silverfox

VIP Member
Hi everyone:

Just been to France for three weeks touring and cycling, mainly staying on ASCI recommended sites, mixed views with them!

My query is this, what are the normal things you are allowed to do on Municipal sites, I have had two experiences and not sure if I did something wrong, after a long day travelling via the Lot and Massif Central from Nyons, I pulled into a little village called Thiroux(think that's how you spell it) just on the edge of the village, on the river banks, lovely location, 8.50euros a night, excellent facilities, soon pitched up, awning, table etc out, towel down and hours kip in the sun, all quite normal!!! soon I realised no one else had their tables or awnings out, just maybe one chair each, also strangely, some were set up like a wagen train in a circle - in the morning I went to put the rubbish in the bins(near the reception area) there was a full blown meeting going on in the reception , and only me not in there, I felt very conspicuos, was leaving anyhow, so just did - the next campsite I stayed at(not Municipal) the guy could understand a little English and he more or less confirmed that I may of broke th erules! second Municipal I stayed overnight at was at Laon, just 140 miles from Dunkirk, great site 8.35euros, no such rule here and once you get through the approach to it, fab pitches and a lovely medival town.

Nothing to spoil my holiday, but found the vans ina circle amusing.

Just one last thing, stayed in two ASCI sites, first one at Faucon, about 10 miles from Nyons, excellent, setting in a forest with loads of woodland near by, 14euros a night, no complaints at all - second site was 8 klms from Annecy, called the Europa, 3 nights 55euros, no discount, half the facilities closed, including the swimming pool restaurant and a frosty receptionist, carry on past it and there's lots better to chose from, I was on my way home so didn't make the effort and wasn't aware of the no discount! also diggers working on two of the days, definately wouldn't recommend.

Cheers

Kevin

France is a funny place :)

We used a few municipals last year and by and large they were fine and cheap.
Those in charge ranged from 'kind' (gave us a demi of plums free) to quite 'tetchy' (didn't like our totally self-contained washing line, asking us to take it down). We didn't see any Indian Circles though (maybe it was a Meet? Avoid :))
ACSI sites we found a mixed bunch. Most offered the discount (May) two refused.

We spend a lot of time up the west coast of scotland and on the hebrides and they're just as mixed a bunch mind you - and whilst I speak a bit of french, my gaelic is restricte to watching rugby on BBC Alba (Glasgow warriors)

All these things are just hiccups I reckon and I'm glad to go back to France and the Islands

Just come back from the hebrides .... agree with you Barry. Going to France in a week surfing.... hey ho

going up the West Coast in a couple of weeks, try and beat the midges, bought my net just in case, then back to France and hopefully Spain end of September, can't wait - enjoy yourselves

Kev

Municipal site in Bayeux is very nice. Even a little 2CV bakery van turns up every morning at 8am with bread, pastries and milk.

We accidentally went over the D-Day weekend last year and the place was full of Willys Jeeps and people from all over Europe dressed as G.I.s. Very surreal.