H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So now a few days back from a trip thru France and will share some details

We were planning to do Normandie and up to the Mont-Saint-Michel.
But as the weatherforecast was not that good , at least not the first week we headed of more south....planning three to four days heading to my brother-in- law who lives in Beaumes-de-Venises near the Mont Ventoux.

Left home on monday 24/8 for a 195 km trip home to Bertrix , near Boullion in the Belgian Ardennes.
My brother has a permanent caravan standing there and so short overnight stay/ visit took place
http://www.bestcamp.com/campsites/belgium/campings-in-the-belgian-ardennes/camping-bertrix

25/8 afther rainy night left Belgium behind and drove 299km on the National routes to a camperspot i pointed out in the ACSI campergide . Weather turned nice once in France!
Heuilly-sur-saone , near Dijon ( Bourgogne)
Just a parking with a watertap,electricpoint working with coins. Blue Flot or so called ...
Nice and quiet , just us ...
Near the river Saone.
image.jpg

26/8 woke up sunny left to drive 264 km more National routes and seeing the inland of France , seen enough of the " autoroute soleil" and the tolls...
Ending up in St-Gervais camperspot ( ACSI guide)on the banks of the river Isere in the Rhone- Alpes
Magnificent spot spending a quiet night allone....afther some relaxing in the afthernoon sun.
image.jpg

27/8 left of for arrivingpoint my brother-in-law , Beaumes-de-Venises in the Vaucluse.
A 173km drive over some nice views , only downside today we did a very bad discovery on one of the colls we past . A cyclist who's bike we found rare placed and a helmet on the ground.
Turn out the poor man probally sufferd a harteattack before we spotted him .
Read this post for the details.
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sad-thing-happend-on-our-way-in-france.11284/#post-107278

We spent the next five days in Beaumes-de-Venises as it was arround 30° In the afthernoon sun.
Stayed in their house but sleep in the Cali as there was more family using the bedrooms.
Did not much else then enjoying family-wine and food....., was planning to do the Ventoux by Cali and spending the night up there but it did not happend , the Ventoux will still be there next time...:)
So we left of starting the trip up north ....home

1/9 we drove to St-Alban-Auriolles in the Ardeche , spending the night on a nice camperspot witch a knew already but also in the ACSI guide , with three other big white's.
Forgot to take a pic....but here is one from the hiking trip.
Spot the Cali ....me in the front...:kiss
image.jpg

Woke up 2/9 to walk a small hiking trip see above , we did already several times in nearby small village Grospierres , where we and family usually rent a house once a year , this time just passing thru one day.
Left by noon over the Nationals to St-nectaire in the Auvergne (345km) picked out a camping ( ACSI guide )
Camping "le Vignet" as we again like the first camping in Belgium could profit a "low season" discount just a bit over 12 euro/ night ( including tourist taxes), Cali, two people , dog ....
We usually don't take electric for one night we got our two lesure batts;)
image.jpg

3/9 left by noon to drive 304km to arrive back in Bourgogne at camping "les Confluents" in Migennes , again ACSI discount and a cheap stay at a quiet site , not much to do but perfect sleepover.
image.jpg
We passed by the (ex)F1 circuit of Nevers for a quick snapshot , i was there some years ago to see the last F1 race orgenised as it was removed by Bernie from the F1 calender.
image.jpg

4/9 drove 164 km further north to camperspot in Beautor in the Picardie.
It is a three place spot , blue flot point , near a canal but busy traffic on the passing road , but had a good sleep.
image.jpg

5/9 just 274 km from home passed by a friend in Halle near Brussels and from there went to see the Waterloo site near Brussels , remember Napoleon....? Walked +200 stairs up to the Lion having magnificent view. There is a visiting centre with a interactive museum ....it is been 200 years since the batlle there and lots to do arround the man with the stange hat!
image.jpg
As i say many times , Belgium also got some nice things to see !
You guys need to turn left up north when leaving the ferry in France....:D

Arrived home sathurday arround 4pm , spent 12 night in my Hotel California.
Did 2460km
Used just under 200 liters diesel

Next trip maybe to the Mont-Saint-Michel later this year.

Last edited:
Off- road for a pic... image.jpg

Bourgogne...
image.jpg

Mmh ...would a Cali fit in that hole?
image.jpg

Better don't mis out in this bend!
image.jpg
Morning sun.
image.jpg

View form one of the campsites...
image.jpg

Some old stones and a funny looking dog.
image.jpg

Here you see those water/ electric points ....enlarge picture works with coins water runs few minutes to fill up tank.
Electric is usual 1 hour or so.
Emptying chemical toilet also with coins
One can also dump the waste water here ( free of charge)

image.jpg