Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August

First experience today of legally having to show my pass sanitaire to get a coffee. Bar owner not very happy.
Not sure how long they will stick with it.
The demonstrations on Saturday here were starting to get interesting but the the rain came and they all went home.

Express testing is very good and reasonably cheap as far as I can see. £69 mainly at airports but they have walk in and drive through

Be warned tests are no longer free in France if you are not french

Compared to what is it reasonably cheap?

Tests are free here in Germany. We're heading
to France tomorrow and I aint paying for any test.

We're all good and healthy.
And without a test how do you know you are all good and healthy?

We have had a wonderful 2.5 weeks in France, Switzerland, Germany and the Netherlands. No issues entering any of these countries. The painful bit is returning to North Korea with all the convoluted forms and tests.
We are about to start a very similar trip on Thursday. Good to hear you had no issues and thanks for the tip on testing.

We are about to start a very similar trip on Thursday. Good to hear you had no issues and thanks for the tip on testing.
The lateral flow test prior to return to the UK was very easy with c19testing. Look at their reviews on Trustpilot - I am not on commission!

Take the test, send a photo of the test with your passport, they email you a certificate. Mine was with me in 90 minutes!

Passenger Locator Form - children over 4 need a Day 2 PCR test, if they have been in an amber country. Children go on an adult's form. However, there is no box in the PLF to put the children's PCR test number in!

Last edited:
The test i was talking about is the day 2 back in UK as I say express testing pretty efficient, last time results were back in about 10hours.
Just about to pay €45 for a voyage test in France, no longer free for non resident.

NHS Covid Pass sufficient to get into France. Pass Sanitaire needed from today (9th August) for entry to various places in France. Restaurants etc. We showed ours for entry into our campsite.
Hi - Do you have to apply for a Pass Sanitaire?
Thanks

Hi - Do you have to apply for a Pass Sanitaire?
Thanks
Just download the Tousanticovid app onto your phone and follow the instructions (automatically in English). You will use the phone camera to import your NHS Covid vaccination QR code into the French app (easiest with a printed copy). You can then open and show the French QR code at venues that ask for them. The venues have scanner apps that collect the contained info. It’s much easier than it sounds - a very well designed app.

If you haven’t yet got your NHS QR code, you can request one from your medical practice, or generate one yourself from the NHS app (not the NHS Covid app). To register for the NHS app you will need your passport or similar. It’s a bit of a faff, but it will be worth it!

Just download the Tousanticovid app onto your phone and follow the instructions (automatically in English). You will use the phone camera to import your NHS Covid vaccination QR code into the French app (easiest with a printed copy). You can then open and show the French QR code at venues that ask for them. The venues have scanner apps that collect the contained info. It’s much easier than it sounds - a very well designed app.

If you haven’t yet got your NHS QR code, you can request one from your medical practice, or generate one yourself from the NHS app (not the NHS Covid app). To register for the NHS app you will need your passport or similar. It’s a bit of a faff, but it will be worth it!
Great help. All done. Thank you.

So straightforward. A little easier than entering N Korea.
It was easier entering N Korea tbh, we just had to mail our passports, booked travel itinerary and a tenner (cash only) to the DPRK embassy on the N circular. On crossing into N Korea, the train from Dandong stopped for an hour just the other side of the Yalu river whilst very officious officers boarded, checked everything and asked to keep stuff they fancied in our bags.

It was easier entering N Korea tbh, we just had to mail our passports, booked travel itinerary and a tenner (cash only) to the DPRK embassy on the N circular. On crossing into N Korea, the train from Dandong stopped for an hour just the other side of the Yalu river whilst very officious officers boarded, checked everything and asked to keep stuff they fancied in our bags.
Do compare Like with Like, seeing as you cannot enter N Korea at present. At least you can enter France at present.

We entered France on Friday evening, not sure what all the fuss was about. No one has looked at any document other than our passports. No sniffer mouse looking for cheese etc.
Long queues at the tunnel for passport control.
French traffic very heavy Saturday round Millau - to the extent we left the autoroute and dropped down to the med coast on a lot of singletrack mountain tracks. It’s about the worst we’ve seen it in the years we’ve been coming down here.
Crossing into Spain there were no controls or checks.
They appear to take mask wearing a bit more seriously round here in Spain, local supermarket has a security man with a large baton and a gun, no mask no entry.

You did pick one of the worst weekends to travel. End of Aug they all went home, it’s been great the last few days.
got to say getting a PCR A faff today, couldn’t find the med lab that could do approved anti gen will bring them from UK next year

I read a few comments on other forums about difficulties in getting tests done in France and waiting lists. Our children came out for a week and used some of those C19testing kits I mentioned above. They worked faultlessly except for one because he didn’t write the test number on the test device clearly enough: you have to use biro as felt tip blotches. Luckily one of the kits had 2 inside so he redid it and all got home safely. Testingforall seem the best day 2 test provider (if you live in England) but they sell out so book early.

I read a few comments on other forums about difficulties in getting tests done in France and waiting lists. Our children came out for a week and used some of those C19testing kits I mentioned above. They worked faultlessly except for one because he didn’t write the test number on the test device clearly enough: you have to use biro as felt tip blotches. Luckily one of the kits had 2 inside so he redid it and all got home safely. Testingforall seem the best day 2 test provider (if you live in England) but they sell out so book early.
I wouldn't rush out & book anything yet, latest suggestions in the press are that in the next review they will scrap the need for the day 2 tests if you are vaccinated & coming from a green or amber country.

I wouldn't rush out & book anything yet, latest suggestions in the press are that in the next review they will scrap the need for the day 2 tests if you are vaccinated & coming from a green or amber country.
Some common sense, surely not?

Other reports suggest Traffic Light System to end but 2 day test to apply on all entries.

Speculation is rife as usual.

Other reports suggest Traffic Light System to end but 2 day test to apply on all entries.

Speculation is rife as usual.
I finally stopped reading the news about 2 months ago. The media have to write something so they just write drivel. Much better for my blood pressure!

On my daily commute to London (now 3 days a week)...People join the train at Gatwick fresh from the flight, then board the train into London with no facemask. Day 2 test seems like a waste of time, any damage has already been done. Just scrap it.

On my daily commute to London (now 3 days a week)...People join the train at Gatwick fresh from the flight, then board the train into London with no facemask. Day 2 test seems like a waste of time, any damage has already been done. Just scrap it.
Totally agree. Should be more emphasis on the pre departure tests & scrap the subsequent ones as its too late by then.

Totally agree. Should be more emphasis on the pre departure tests & scrap the subsequent ones as its too late by then.
Sorry but that is incorrect.
Pre-departure test no more than 72 hrs before is negative.
You can then catch it after doing the test.
Symptoms and ability to spread virus take 3 - 5 days.
So if 2 day post arrival test is negative you are likely to be clear if fully vaccinated.