Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France for a week. How far south?

Ive just ordered the dogs cooling hjacket so no going back now :)
Hi Anage,
I would stick to my previous post, Travel as little as poss, give yourself time to see places, Amboise and also Brittany great. We are on the banks of the Ardeche at the moment and it is hot, although plenty of French and Belgiques, and Dutch seem to have dogs but it is hot here. And, by my lights, a long way to travel.
Have a great time

We (family of 5) bombed down the toll motorways to the south of France in August a couple of years ago. Stayed overnight at a fab municipal site in Troyes on the way down to break the journey up, then straight on to beautiful Castellane for 4 nights (included a day trip to Cannes/Nice - very, very hot!) and then whitewater rafting in the stunning Ardeche for 4 nights before heading back north to Paris for the dreaded Disneyland with the kids. Long journey but worth it and the toll roads were so easy in the van.

I think at this late stage a combination of trying to book a few sites from a sence of security point of view/ not having to hustle it every day and then wing it and focus on securing a pitch / aire for the night, treating it as an adventure and using the Cali what it is good for

Hi,
This will be my first trip to France and more to the point my first overseas trip in Cali (only 3 trips in total since reviving in May ).
Due to work commitments I will only have a week and was wondering if experienced travellers think this is long enough to go to south of France or indeed how far south I need to go to get some respite from our so far damp summer :)
There will only be myself and a dog travelling as my partner can't make the trip unfortunately. I am a bit unsure of what is realistic in terms of distance as I do want to come back feeling relaxed!
Any advice from people who have been away for similar length of time would be appreciated.
Am I just better sticking to uk for that kind of duration?
P.s. I will be getting euro tunnel due to dog.
Cheers
A
In a word ‘no’ I reckon ..it’s a wonderful but very large country and you’ll spend at least 2 days travelling. The toll roads are so good you’ll have trouble staying awake on cruise so at least one break will be needed as well each way. Better to pick a region more accessible (Dordogne?) and explore that and do the south when you can spend a little longer en la belle France

In a word ‘no’ I reckon ..it’s a wonderful but very large country and you’ll spend at least 2 days travelling. The toll roads are so good you’ll have trouble staying awake on cruise so at least one break will be needed as well each way. Better to pick a region more accessible (Dordogne?) and explore that and do the south when you can spend a little longer en la belle France
I think he probably got back about 5 years ago!

When we ( In normal circumstances) travel in France we take it quite easy. Yes you can go north to south in a day no problem but we use all the time as a holiday. We don’t use toll roads as they are the most uninteresting places on Earth. The beautiful French countryside can’t be seen from a toll road. Our holiday starts when we leave home and finishes when we get back. From 2020 moved to 2021 then moved to 2022 when we do get touring again I’m going to make the most of the fantastic French campsites on offer..Please please please don’t roll over to 2023..

Hi Anage

When you say a week, does that include 2 weekends. If so I camped with my daughter at Sospel on the Italian border in 2019.

We left Liverpool on Thursday afternoon and got a late ferry, arrived in Sospel 2pm Friday afternoon arriving back home late the following Sunday so away 10 nights in total.

Would I do it again absolutely but you have to like driving and if there are 2 of you it is much easier even with a stop for a sleep on the way.

Cheers
K