Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ford transit ‘nugget’ vs VW Cali

If I am correct, and peeps more knowledgeable than I will correct me, it is longer than a LWB transporter and considerably higher.

Yet again it confirms for me why I drive a Cali. If it can't shuffle under a 2m height barrier and fit into a 5m parking bay then I might just as well opt for a motorhome rather than a camper.

ALFIE! You're safe ...... (for the time being).... A cali rather than a Nuggi anytime.
Where are all these 2m barriers people talk about. I’ve driven mine around most of Northern Europe with a roof box on and I have only had a couple of times I couldn’t park in an inner city multi story car park but found an alternative nearby. There’s a lot of people talking about the 2m on various threads, so no particular reason I have jumped on your comment except you seem to have a lot of experience.

Where are all these 2m barriers people talk about. I’ve driven mine around most of Northern Europe with a roof box on and I have only had a couple of times I couldn’t park in an inner city multi story car park but found an alternative nearby. There’s a lot of people talking about the 2m on various threads, so no particular reason I have jumped on your comment except you seem to have a lot of experience.

5 minutes from my house for one. On just about every French peage there seems to be one ......

I'm really not going to write a list but 2m ... 2.03m.... 2.1m seem to me to be fairly commonplace. If you've missed them then good luck.... oh, next time you visit Skegness (and I appreciate that you are in Norway) there's one by the fairground, because of a dip in the ground I clattered it on my way out .... but then you can be excused for not wanting to go to Skegness :D

Tunnels through Paris?

oh, and a nightmare reversing out of a car park in Lyon...... I didn't intend to try and go in but mistook a car park entrance for an autoroute slip road..... I just put it down to age :shocked

if you want to experience 2m car park barriers, pop over to the UK! We have plenty.

5 minutes from my house for one. On just about every French peage there seems to be one ......

I'm really not going to write a list but 2m ... 2.03m.... 2.1m seem to me to be fairly commonplace. If you've missed them then good luck.... oh, next time you visit Skegness there's one by the fairground, because of a dip in the ground I clattered it on my way out .... but then you can be excused for not wanting to go to Skegness :D
Thank you. So it’s car parks in cities that is the issue. Are there other benefits of being below 2m like tolls or national parks I’ve heard mention?

Thank you. So it’s car parks in cities that is the issue. Are there other benefits of being below 2m like tolls or national parks I’ve heard mention?

French tolls with 30kph clearance lanes ...

and the one near my house is a beachfront car park, not a city centre.

No 4wd on a nugget may be an issue. I know it’s in development on a custom transit but can’t see it anytime soon

Too numerous. 2m chosen to keep Motorhomes out at many tourist spots, beaches and national parks.

We used to have a 09 Transit Nugget Hi Top and it was great. Loved the layout - separates the cooking from the sitting - which is great with kids. The other bonus of the galley kitchen is that you can fit a 3 seater in the back so carry 5 people.

Interested to see the latest version and has a toilet - though the location means that might not want to use it whilst somebody is cooking! - though on the plus side if you are in to multi-tasking you could have a crap and stir your risotto at the same time!

There is a nugget plus in euro land which gives you an extra few centimetres (and a privacy screen) between the kitchen and the karzi - if these are ever available over here I think we would get one

We used to have a 09 Transit Nugget Hi Top and it was great. Loved the layout - separates the cooking from the sitting - which is great with kids. The other bonus of the galley kitchen is that you can fit a 3 seater in the back so carry 5 people.

Interested to see the latest version and has a toilet - though the location means that might not want to use it whilst somebody is cooking! - though on the plus side if you are in to multi-tasking you could have a crap and stir your risotto at the same time!

There is a nugget plus in euro land which gives you an extra few centimetres (and a privacy screen) between the kitchen and the karzi - if these are ever available over here I think we would get one

Ford guy at the NEC thought the plus would make it here after the regular nugget. Maybe a year

if you want to experience 2m car park barriers, pop over to the UK! We have plenty.
2m barriers are becoming common place on parts of the east coast of Scotland and from planning sources many more are expected. The great whites have upset many locals with extended stays.

I’ve had roof bars and a tandem carrier on my van for the past two weeks. I’ve found it very restrictive over where I can go. 6’6” (1.98m) is common, as is 2m, 2.1m. And I need >2.25 with that on my roof; >3.2 with the tandem up there.

New Nuggett Plus Trail layout looks well designed,particularly if you *must* have a toilet.
95822FE0-6993-45D6-9806-7D96B31F9A5A.png
(If I post a link it gives a security message and doesn’t link, so you’ll need to search
“VW T7 California 2022 Killer? Ford Nugget Trail 2022 Wohnmobil Neuheiten 2022. XXXL Heckküche.”
to look around the new long wheelbase Nugget)
Subtitles aren’t great but the stats are here. About £60,000.
https://www.parkers.co.uk/amp/vans-pickups/news/2019/ford-transit-custom-nugget-campervan/38E957E5-DA72-44E3-A3DE-F452D0AAAEB3.png

Last edited:
I'm attracted by the Club Joker type layout (ie LWB platform with loo and kitchen at rear an 'back to front' pop top). This is an interesting attempt but the further into the video I got, the less impressive it seemed.

I'm not too impressed by the bench/bed which seems to involve a slightly sloping head section even when in 'flat' mode.

From the vid, looks to me like it's let down by the details, a lack of Cali finesse. Eg the roof bed needs clip/unclipping rather than just nicely balanced gas struts. And the cupboards have an aura of PVC-edged-chipboard. Surely if Ford expect to compete at scale they could have invested a bit more in all that.

Here's a direct link to the vid, BTW:

I'm attracted by the Club Joker type layout (ie LWB platform with loo and kitchen at rear an 'back to front' pop top). This is an interesting attempt but the further into the video I got, the less impressive it seemed.

I'm not too impressed by the bench/bed which seems to involve a slightly sloping head section even when in 'flat' mode.

From the vid, looks to me like it's let down by the details, a lack of Cali finesse. Eg the roof bed needs clip/unclipping rather than just nicely balanced gas struts. And the cupboards have an aura of PVC-edged-chipboard. Surely if Ford expect to compete at scale they could have invested a bit more in all that.

I think the demonstrator in that video failed to set the bed up correctly. If you have a look at this video the bed is flat

Not tempted at all.

Anyone know what material the hard shell of the elevating roof if made from?

Anyone know what material the hard shell of the elevating roof if made from?
GRP I believe, certainly not aluminium per the Cali.

I viewed one at a dealer at the weekend out of interest. Not as refined inside as a Cali, but layout was interesting. Most alarming was that the water heater (within the kitchen pod) got in the way of my feet when the downstairs bed was folded down. I’m only 6ft, so a design flaw there.

Club joker with pop top is short wheel base, LWB is the high top like I have..

Resurrecting this thread, we've just swapped our Cali for a Nugget. We have three kids, and were struggling to make us all fit now the kids are a bit older/bigger. For our last Cali camping trip we tried a cab bed across the front seats, but that gave us virtually no space at all in sleep mode (the seats had to face forward for the cab bed).

We collected the Nugget last Saturday. We haven't camped in it yet, but first impressions are good. The roof bed is a lot wider, so takes all three kids, and being able to access the kitchen with all beds made up will make the mornings a lot easier.

Also, someone cited a lack of boot as an issue. So far we have found that all the stuff we had in the Cali boot (bedding, awning room, extra chairs, porta potti, storage tent for the 5th seat) goes into cupboards in the Nugget. That then looks to leave the kitchen floor area for bigger stuff during transit (maybe our inflatable kayaks can go there, instead of on the roof).

But by far the biggest bonus is not having to remove the 5th seat (Nugget has a three seat bench). My back thanks me.

Downsides so far: having to find a fold up bike rack for 4 bikes (+ 1 on the roof), the sea of shiny black plastic in the cab, pop-up roof likes billow out so folding is a bit of a faff (it needs a bungee).

I reckon we've give ourselves another 3 years before the kids outgrow this one.

Resurrecting this thread, we've just swapped our Cali for a Nugget. We have three kids, and were struggling to make us all fit now the kids are a bit older/bigger. For our last Cali camping trip we tried a cab bed across the front seats, but that gave us virtually no space at all in sleep mode (the seats had to face forward for the cab bed).

We collected the Nugget last Saturday. We haven't camped in it yet, but first impressions are good. The roof bed is a lot wider, so takes all three kids, and being able to access the kitchen with all beds made up will make the mornings a lot easier.

Also, someone cited a lack of boot as an issue. So far we have found that all the stuff we had in the Cali boot (bedding, awning room, extra chairs, porta potti, storage tent for the 5th seat) goes into cupboards in the Nugget. That then looks to leave the kitchen floor area for bigger stuff during transit (maybe our inflatable kayaks can go there, instead of on the roof).

But by far the biggest bonus is not having to remove the 5th seat (Nugget has a three seat bench). My back thanks me.

Downsides so far: having to find a fold up bike rack for 4 bikes (+ 1 on the roof), the sea of shiny black plastic in the cab, pop-up roof likes billow out so folding is a bit of a faff (it needs a bungee).

I reckon we've give ourselves another 3 years before the kids outgrow this one.
Are they freely available in the U.K. now?
I know initially when they were available in Europe there weren’t any in the UK.
CaliCamper Family on YouTube have the Nugget Plus and seem very happy with it.
Enjoy yours, feedback an update after a couple of camping experiences.

Are they freely available in the U.K. now?
I know initially when they were available in Europe there weren’t any in the UK.
CaliCamper Family on YouTube have the Nugget Plus and seem very happy with it.
Enjoy yours, feedback an update after a couple of camping experiences.
I wouldn't say "freely". Ours is a used Dec 2020 model, and was one of only four available to purchase last week in the entire UK. The Ford dealer had another LWB model (Nugget Plus) on-site, but that was a demo and had sold. I was quoted a 1 year lead time for a new one.

I don't think too many made it to the UK before covid, then I think production obviously slowed up for a period, and now Ford are trying to push them again. I gather Ford UK had an internal re-launch a month or so ago.

I quite like it. Well, except for the name.
Not sure about the pop top version. It’s over 2m, so what’s the point…?

But the tin top. I like it

Not sure about the pop top version. It’s over 2m, so what’s the point…?
I always wondered about this. I’ve a seen fair few campers with a pop-top that are higher than 2m. I always thought that the whole point of pop-tops in campers was to make the van lower than 2m so that it fits everywhere. If you’re going to be higher than 2m, then surely you might as well go with a high top, which is a lot more practical?

Back