Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ford transit ‘nugget’ vs VW Cali

The high top LWB version is not coming to the UK. So dimensions are similar to California. A touch higher.

had a look at this at the NEC and was impressed. Layout is always going to be personal preference. Cabinets etc all looked quality. Uk version will have rear doors on both sides, so maybe a bonus there.

£10k cheaper than a California is only a good thing. Might stop some fleecing by VW. Interesting to see what discounts can be achieved.

If I say "I'm nipping out in the Cali" people generally understand what I mean.

If I was to say "I'm nipping out in the Nuggi" they would probably run after me with a bag of clothes :shocked

The high top LWB version is not coming to the UK. So dimensions are similar to California. A touch higher.

had a look at this at the NEC and was impressed. Layout is always going to be personal preference. Cabinets etc all looked quality. Uk version will have rear doors on both sides, so maybe a bonus there.

£10k cheaper than a California is only a good thing. Might stop some fleecing by VW. Interesting to see what discounts can be achieved.

They look a nice vehicle, we looked at the Wellhouse transit. Very nicely put together but when we compared the costs to a Cali there was little difference. And of course, when you come to sell it I think you would struggle to compete against a vw similar age.

How can ford manage to provide a side door sliding screen but it’s beyond VW’s capability in a T6.

To compare anything is an individual comparison, as we all have differing aspects that are of greater or lesser importance.

I never stop looking and comparing. Most of my comparisons come down to daily driver requirement, can I just get in it, go anywhere, park anywhere like I do the Cali. Sub 2m roof and less than about 5.5m long is important to me.

Can I slide the seats forward leaving me with a van-like rear space that allows me to take half a garage worth of bits and pieces to the tip.

Can I drive it for three hundred miles and get out feeling reasonably unstressed.

Can as I am doing now, park up in a city centre, just hiding out of the way.

Can I sell it and get another one without crying over how much it has cost me in depreciation.

Sadly, and I use that term relatively, sadly for I do like a choice, the nugget does not match up. I'm still lumbered with the same old boring Cali that does everything and does it rather well.

Damn it :sad

Don't bother with Mercedes Marco Polo then. Also built/converted by Westfalia who are busy replacing fibre glass roofs and other metal items to do with the roof that are subject to corrosion.

Westfalia of the Past and Westfalia of the Now are two very different companies.
I bet back in your day @WelshGas, they used to make car toys out of metal, kids played marbles and Sunday dinner was a tradition. However, things weren't like they used to be back in theirthe day! ;-) Now it's PS4s, plastics toys from China and Sunday family time is now KFC "Family bucket" time delivered through a window and eaten in a car whilst everyone stares a tiny screen on their phones. Welcome to 2020, it's the future!

Last edited:
I bet back in your day @WelshGas, they used to make car toys out of metal, kids played marbles and Sunday dinner was a tradition. However, things weren't like they used to be back in theirthe day! ;-) Now it's PS4s, plastics toys from China and Sunday family time is now KFC "Family bucket" time delivered through a window and eaten in a car whilst everyone stares a tiny screen on their phones. Welcome to 2020, it's the future!
Things change and not necessarily for the better. Westfalia used to be known for high quality but the crown has slipped.

True, in my day kids played outside, we did things considered dangerous by the modern generation. We had imagination and we had fun.

I to would look at the Ford next time.
Purchased our Cali in May, the mith of VW reliability!
Constant rattles, squeaking suspension and mediocre customer service.
Calis need to be sold through VW car network, we deserve better.

I hired a California from my local commercial dealer last week with a view to purchase a 6.1. Still on the fence in that regard...

But the dealer is just awful. Unhelpful staff. Miserable. Hard work. Agree they need to go to car dealers. These commercial folk are not geared up for families wandering around and small kids being excited etc.

as for the Cali. Was 4 months old. A few niggles and some stuff I would question on long term durability. Table rattled when folded. Front seat belt clip retainers missing, having to reach down to the floor for the clip each time. Sliding door had damaged the wheel arch. ‘California’ logo light on all door steps had worn away. Catch on rear roof storage was broken.

My Dealership is combined. Cars and Californias in one showroom, one reception and one workshop and waiting area. Even one coffee machine.
They do exist.

Van dealers the gastronomic version of your local takeaway, cheap, convenient, high volume at fast pace with minimum facilities.

Cali owners and future purchasers need a fine dinning experience.
An extensive menu (sometimes at extortionate cost), time to purruss and enjoy the experience and be waited on by knowledgeable and professional staff.

Van dealers the gastronomic version of your local takeaway, cheap, convenient, high volume at fast pace with minimum facilities.

Cali owners and future purchasers need a fine dinning experience.
An extensive menu (sometimes at extortionate cost), time to purruss and enjoy the experience and be waited on by knowledgeable and professional staff.
Not sure I agree that VW van dealers are cheap!

No way I would part with the best part of £70k at my local dealer.

Sadly not the MB experience where buying a MP through a largely disinterested car network has resulted in almost universal dissatisfaction.

Things change and not necessarily for the better. Westfalia used to be known for high quality but the crown has slipped.

True, in my day kids played outside, we did things considered dangerous by the modern generation. We had imagination and we had fun.
#backintheday

I hired a California from my local commercial dealer last week with a view to purchase a 6.1. Still on the fence in that regard...

But the dealer is just awful. Unhelpful staff. Miserable. Hard work. Agree they need to go to car dealers. These commercial folk are not geared up for families wandering around and small kids being excited etc.

as for the Cali. Was 4 months old. A few niggles and some stuff I would question on long term durability. Table rattled when folded. Front seat belt clip retainers missing, having to reach down to the floor for the clip each time. Sliding door had damaged the wheel arch. ‘California’ logo light on all door steps had worn away. Catch on rear roof storage was broken.
There's excited and then there's kids just running riot round a showroom

Now if John Lewis sold Californias.....

Back