Fly screen door broken on GC

• Thread starter Carryon Cali Camping
  • Start date
Carryon Cali Camping

Carryon Cali Camping

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all - went in the GC today and went to pull the fly screen door across and I seem to have snapped the thread that runs through the mesh, all the existing thread is loose and it’s come out of the bottom part of the mesh completely! The mesh door is very floppy and not usable. Thankfully it seems to stay put when concertinared back but useless when you slide it across! Does anybody know how to get this repaired or replaced (van is out of warranty). It’s bit late now, but I came across an old post that recommended to spray silicone on the runners!
Not a good day! I took it out for a drive earlier and got a wack on the windscreen from what looks to have been a sizeable stone or something, pretty big crack in the glass….booked in to probably be replaced in a couple of weeks, thankfully on insurance!

Last edited:
Just found a thread (bum bum!!) from a month or so ago with the same issue!

Hi Carryon
I think it was us who posted the recent thread. It is an easy but time consuming fix. You have to remove the fly screen from the van and then almost completely dismantle it to rethread the cord. We were away in a small town in Spain when it happened so could only get a slightly thicker cord snd this worked fine.
Take your time and lay everything out flat as you work and you will be able to work through it. Remember the inside panels are all velcroed in place
Good luck!!

Hi Carryon
I think it was us who posted the recent thread. It is an easy but time consuming fix. You have to remove the fly screen from the van and then almost completely dismantle it to rethread the cord. We were away in a small town in Spain when it happened so could only get a slightly thicker cord snd this worked fine.
Take your time and lay everything out flat as you work and you will be able to work through it. Remember the inside panels are all velcroed in place
Good luck!!
thanks for the reply and something I am not looking forward to! Please can you remember what type of Kevlar cord you purchased? Looking on Amazon there are lots of different breaking strength and thickness?

thanks for the reply and something I am not looking forward to! Please can you remember what type of Kevlar cord you purchased? Looking on Amazon there are lots of different breaking strength and thickness?
Hi
I am really sorry but I can’t give you exact sizes. When I was researching this I saw recommendations to use kite surfing cord. Our cord was a cheap one and only cost about €3 for 100metres. I think the size was around 1mm or so and worked fine for the last two weeks of our trip. I don’t know the breaking strain but I don’t think it needs to be really strong. But I suppose the stronger the better for the thinnest thickness
It took us about 2 hours to disassemble, replace the cord and reassemble again. You don’t need lots of tools and we did it on our campsite

And to say our cord was definitely not Kevlar!!

Back