Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting Thunders to my 08 Cali, Load Rating & Insurance

Joss Apps

Joss Apps

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm looking to upgrade to 17" Thunders, are there any problems with fitting these to my 08 Cali, thinking about load rating and insurance concerns etc? Thanks

You should have no problems as vw fit these as standard to cali's

Thanks for that, I'm no expert on tyre rating and I know the Cali is heavy, the ones I'm looking at came from a new T5 Transporter (Not Cali). :crazy

They should be rated at least 101 xl if it was a t30 you will be fine

They've come from a T28 so will ask for the tyre markings. Cheers ;)

Interestingly the ones fitted to my Cali are 109/170 (R on front and T on rear). Ahh, I've become a tyre bore!

The tyres fitted to the Thunders I'm looking at are michelin primacy hp 235/55/17 103w extra load max weight 875kg. These are not as high as those fitted to my Cali today but are they insurable / safe?

Yes they are more than enough :thumb mine are 825kg 101xl fitted by vw on sport lines
Go for it :thumb

Joss Apps said:
I'm looking to upgrade to 17" Thunders, are there any problems with fitting these to my 08 Cali, thinking about load rating and insurance concerns etc? Thanks

Have you fitted them yet? Any chance of a picture as I'm have a set I may try on my 58.

No because I haven't bought any yet, the higher rated tyres are much less common. Still looking especially as my tyres are getting low on tread....

Joss Apps said:
No because I haven't bought any yet, the higher rated tyres are much less common. Still looking especially as my tyres are getting low on tread....

Ive just noticed, how can you have a 08 180? I thought <10 were 174 and 10> were 180. I'm new to T5s so could well be wrong.

Keep your eyes peeled i manage to get delivery mileage wheels and tyres, with the center caps still in their bags for £600.

Re: Fitting Thunders to my 08 Cali, Load Rating & Insurance

Rubbadub said:
Joss Apps said:

Ive just noticed, how can you have a 08 180? I thought <10 were 174 and 10> were 180. I'm new to T5s so could well be wrong.

Keep your eyes peeled i manage to get delivery mileage wheels and tyres, with the center caps still in their bags for £600.

There is even a nice used set in the wanted/for sale section of this forum for £250:00 bargain (wink wink)