Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting power steering high pressure hose

4xpawz

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
9AD67036-55DC-43FA-B563-9B0F0363A3CE.jpeg

I’m having to replace the steering hose connecting the vane pump to the steering rack - the original was weeping at one of the crimps.
The old failed hose was a different design to the new replacement - it was a single piece hose connected straight between steering rack & pump with no support bracket in between.

The replacement hose has an S shaped rigid pipe with a bracket crimped in
F3D19FA1-A4C4-4E24-9ED9-B36823B0CEA4.jpeg

Unfortunately i cant work out where the bracket should be attached to.
The top photo with red arrow shows where I think it should go. The main pic is taken RHS front wheel arch (lining still in place)looking up under the wheel arch bodywork (white paintwork with stain). LHS is the bottom wheel of the aux belt, in the background, behind/below the aux, is the top of the sump pan, RHS lower is the rubber boot of the driveshaft, the hose in front is the unattached end of the hose I’m fitting going onto the vane pump (in reality this bit of the hose will run higher up, hidden from view by the arch bodywork).

For the bracket to fit where I’ve arrowed, there must be a stand off bracket attached first to engine casing that the hose bracket then fits onto. Looking at the VW electronic parts catalogue (ETKA) and the workshop manuals covering steering I can‘t see what I need. They just show the hose bracket is attached somewhere using just a M6x10 bolt.

A pic or any advice would be greatly appreciated as van is off the road until fixed!
VW parts have assured me hose is correct one and I had old design. There wasn’t one in the workshop with one fitted to look At when I called in though

it looks to me like the bracket you have arrowed needs to come out along with the hose and the new bracket goes in its place ?

View attachment 83608

I’m having to replace the steering hose connecting the vane pump to the steering rack - the original was weeping at one of the crimps.
The old failed hose was a different design to the new replacement - it was a single piece hose connected straight between steering rack & pump with no support bracket in between.

The replacement hose has an S shaped rigid pipe with a bracket crimped in
View attachment 83612

Unfortunately i cant work out where the bracket should be attached to.
The top photo with red arrow shows where I think it should go. The main pic is taken RHS front wheel arch (lining still in place)looking up under the wheel arch bodywork (white paintwork with stain). LHS is the bottom wheel of the aux belt, in the background, behind/below the aux, is the top of the sump pan, RHS lower is the rubber boot of the driveshaft, the hose in front is the unattached end of the hose I’m fitting going onto the vane pump (in reality this bit of the hose will run higher up, hidden from view by the arch bodywork).

For the bracket to fit where I’ve arrowed, there must be a stand off bracket attached first to engine casing that the hose bracket then fits onto. Looking at the VW electronic parts catalogue (ETKA) and the workshop manuals covering steering I can‘t see what I need. They just show the hose bracket is attached somewhere using just a M6x10 bolt.

A pic or any advice would be greatly appreciated as van is off the road until fixed!
VW parts have assured me hose is correct one and I had old design. There wasn’t one in the workshop with one fitted to look At when I called in though
Are you sure it would connect there? Wouldn't the tab , on the right, be in the way?

BAA90151-B282-444A-84C4-DAE5398E6C85.jpeg
Above is the new hose i need to fit. RHS connection to steering rack, LHS banjo connect to steering pump.

Below is the old failed steering hose being replaced. There was no ”S” shaped rigid pipe work in between the 2 connections.
8FDA5890-5A38-4B52-8B81-6C6631EC4351.jpeg

I’m trying to work out where/how the bracket on the “S” bit of the new hose is attached.

Doing a rough unattached fitting, the bracket welded onto the new hose looks to me like it needs fixing to where I’ve red arrowed in first post -there is a unused tapped bolt hole in the engine housing to the left of the aux belt.

But physically because of what’s either side of this engine housing bolt hole, the welded mounting bracket on the new steering hose wont fit directly on there -There isn’t the clearance when i try to marry the hose bracket bolt hole up to the tapped bolt hole in the engine casing - the rigid “S’ pipework on the hose snags on engine parts either side. To me it looks like I must need a separate stand off bracket attached first to the engine casing bolt hole onto which the welded hose bracket then attached. OR... where I‘ve red arrowed where’re think the hose bracket should be attached isn’t the right place.

Anyone who can shed any light on where/how the welded bracket on the S shaped rigid piped bit of the new steering hose is attached will be greatly appreciated!

0B086387-118C-4D7B-AB8E-5DCC03010D6D.jpeg

Here’s a zoomed out picture of the area from my first post picture
The aux belt is on the LHS and the driveshaft in the middle.

On the left, circled in red, is where the new hose will be attached to the steering rack (There’s currently a recrimped hose with a blue stripe fitted, but this will be replaced by new hose)
The blue circle is where the unused bolt hole in my original first post pic is that I’m guessing has something to do with where the welded bracket on the new hose needs to be secured.

View attachment 83630

Here’s a zoomed out picture of the area from my first post picture
The aux belt is on the LHS and the driveshaft in the middle.

On the left, circled in red, is where the new hose will be attached to the steering rack (There’s currently a recrimped hose with a blue stripe fitted, but this will be replaced by new hose)
The blue circle is where the unused bolt hole in my original first post pic is that I’m guessing has something to do with where the welded bracket on the new hose needs to be secured.
Just an opinion, but I think you should look on the back of the chassis member for an attachment point.
In your first picture the fixing bracket is orientated to fit on the back of the chassis member with the pipe then held away from the metalwork.

450E14E4-7D0B-4863-8A92-063998610842.jpeg

I‘m not with my California at present so cannot examine it, but might have the older straight pipe version, depending when the new type was introduced.

Thanks WelshGas for your reply and for rotating the new hose pic.

In my last general view picture the red circle around where the “old” blue striped hose is connected to the steering rack, there is an “L” shaped bit of metal plate welded onto the rigid pipe at the end of the hose. Looking at the new hose in your rotated picture above the equivalent “L“ plate is on the LHS end. This “L” bit acts as a registry plate and has to fit flush against a surface on the steering rack when the union is tightened up. On the new hose the ”L” plate means the rigid bit of the pipe is routed first around the back of the steering column (the old hose is routed in front), then above the drive shaft meaning the fixing bracket ends up in the area to the left of the aux belt transmission wheel. My first pic in the original post shows the area where the hose fixing bracket falls. The bracket wont fit against the inside of the chassis member as suggested, as the bit of the rigid pipe that doubles back after the bracket and the hose that goes onto the steering pump is now in the way. I have had a look too at the back of the chassis member and there is no fixing point for a bolt,

The new hose bracket, by its fixing hole, has a funny quadrant shape with a couple of protruding end bits - I think this shape must fit into or against something to ensure the hose bracket is positioned right.

There are a couple of other threads that mention the new hose bracket I’m trying to fit..
The first link mentions is fitted close to the aux belt
The second link shows a pic of a fractured S bend & bracket removed, but unfortunately nothing showing it in situ!

POWER STEERING BRACKET FAILURE
POWER STEERING ISSUE

Solved. Hope this helps some else in the future.F16DAF8B-BA16-4E17-A43B-E204BF40F2B6.jpeg

Its fitted to engine mount and the bolt has a stud with nut on it.
VW Parts catalogue just shows a normal bolt which is what I had fitted. Bolt No.27

6E17E2DF-F5F1-4954-8BAF-E2CA9F62A4EB.png

Bolt no.22 not 27!
Well done. I’d been searching for photos on the web, last night, because I couldn’t see how that bracket could fit onto the initial point you had identified without adjusting the bracket/tube to fit, or as you mentioned a stand off bracket of some sort. Glad you are sorted.:thumb

Solved. Hope this helps some else in the future.View attachment 83682

Its fitted to engine mount and the bolt has a stud with nut on it.
VW Parts catalogue just shows a normal bolt which is what I had fitted. Bolt No.27

View attachment 83683
Hi,

This thread has been really useful! I’m in the same situation as you were.

My eng mount has a standard bolt fitted, do you have a part number for the double studded bolt that I need to replace it with so the S hose bracket can be mounted?

Cheers!

Back