Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

fishing

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I used to fish a lot when I was younger and have decided the Cali would be a good vehicle to combine the two camping & fishing. Any tips for someone about to start up again. Ie.tackle
& good campsites with on site fishing.

I am a new born angler as well. Used to be a competition angler yonks ago. Packed it in when the family arrived.

I concentrate on beach fishing now. The van is perfect.

I have spent a lot of time in working out how to carry a couple of rods and a tripod in the van.

My solution has been to buy two new rods ( any excuse ) 14' 3 piece.
I cut down my tripod to match the length of the rods and they all fit neatly under the back shelf in that little gap down the left hand side.

Previously my two piece rods (2x5'6") had to go inside and caused much consternation. My new rods, stored in the back, allow full use of the van as if they were not there.
I also carry an 8' general purpose spinning rod which breaks down to 5 sections in the overhead locker with a small shoulder bag with reel lures etc.

When I decide to go fishing the kits already packed.

I would recommend Dungeness for a bit of beach fishing. If you join the local angling club (£5 a year) you can park up on the shingle 30 m from the shore.

I also carry an inflatable Kayak and oars under the back seat. Had an amazing trip out this year at Croyde Bay round Baggy Point with the spinning tackle.

I do occasionally go coarse fishing on my local canal but my heart is by the sea. I cannot get into the "carp puddle" stuff at all.

rob

Calikev said:
I used to fish a lot when I was younger and have decided the Cali would be a good vehicle to combine the two camping & fishing. Any tips for someone about to start up again. Ie.tackle
I've always been advised to 'keep you tackle clean'. Not sure where it came from, (probably the Navy) but seems good advice to me. ;)

Andy

Same here, born again fisherman. Planning to buy a fishing kayak very soon to go with the Cali. I think it's a great combination.

On the tackle side. I bought 3 various sized travel rods from savage gear combined with shimano rarinum C+I4 reels. Take up hardly any room in the van and cover all areas of fishing.

Summers ponds has excellent coarse fishing lakes and great bar and cafe.If you book a prime pitch by the lake the fishing is free.Very easy for kids,my son uses a telescopic whip which simplifies things.

I have a 2 seater inflatable kayak stashed under the rear shelf. Had some great times out off Baggy Point in it. No Bass were caught but great fun.

How stable do you find the inflatable kayak? I'm still debating which one to buy.

Very stable. Nowhere as good as a rigid but for the convenience ( no need for roof rack ) it's great.

hi robo, which model do you have. its doing my head in at the moment pondering which to go for, If i go rigid then it comes with all the hassle like you say and i dont really have a place to put it unless i pull it up 4 floors on the outside of my apartment block with a rope to my balcony. An inflatable takes all this drama away.

I have a Zpro fl200. It packs up smallish but it's very open topped. Bag size 70cm X 40cm X 35cm approx including the pump. I wear a wetsuit for use in the sea. Have a look at Sea eagle and Sevylor. For compactness paddle that spit in half will go under the rear shelf.

I have a Zpro fl200. It packs up smallish but it's very open topped. Bag size 70cm X 40cm X 35cm approx including the pump. I wear a wetsuit for use in the sea. Have a look at Sea eagle and Sevylor. For compactness paddle that spit in half will go under the rear shelf.
These look great and decent price. I was looking at the hobie mirage but they are so expensive.

Out of curiosity how far out in the sea are you guy's looking to fish or willing to go in an inflatable kayak?I am a reasonable angler and poor kayaker but I would never set out to sea unless I had mini flares strapped to your life vest and a basic understanding of local tides! Fishing is fun but safety is foremost as I have learnt

I saw a sit upon kayak that split in half the short way. Presumably they are so buoyant they float ok. An innovative soultion to a tricky

http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/pro...-solo-kayak/?gclid=CIfI__6E78kCFagewwodVr4P8A

Must be cheaper ones available?
That looks interesting. The inflatable ones I've been looking at seem to hav very good reviews. Sea eagle and Hobie in particular. Hobie hav just brought out the mirage i11s which seems to fit my requirements and only weighs 16kg.

Out of curiosity how far out in the sea are you guy's looking to fish or willing to go in an inflatable kayak?I am a reasonable angler and poor kayaker but I would never set out to sea unless I had mini flares strapped to your life vest and a basic understanding of local tides! Fishing is fun but safety is foremost as I have learnt
I've never fished from a kayak before so this is all new. Planning a trip to Nordkap in June so will use it for sea fishing then, I don't think distance out in the ocean is an issue as long as it's not rough and you have the safety eq. Will be practicing on the lakes around Switzerland before.

That looks interesting. The inflatable ones I've been looking at seem to hav very good reviews. Sea eagle and Hobie in particular. Hobie hav just brought out the mirage i11s which seems to fit my requirements and only weighs 16kg.
The Hobie ones have MirageDrive (underwater flappy paddles) and you drive them with your feet. Like a pedalo.

Yes that's the one with the flappy paddles. I'm good night to check these out after the new year.

Hi Umby27, Thanks a lot for the info. I've been reviewing this today and it looks a very good option. You have me thinking now as I thought I'd made my mind up with the new Hobie i11s. Where did you buy the Argus? Did you consider choosing an electric motor instead of the petrol?

Hi this issue has just come on the horizon for me and i have found an excellent company based in the lake district called rigged and ready, they specialize in travel fishing kit and great prices, take a look at there website https://riggedandready.net/., also see my article for some pictures.