Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First week away - Easter in the Lake District

S

Splitrich

VIP Member
After an initial couple of nights away at the end of March, we booked a week in the lakes

2 campsites, park cliffs nr newby bridge and then onto Eskdale at the caravan and camping club site

All packed up and ready for the off. Felt like we'd parked everything and then the kitchen sink was added (managed to get it into the roof box with the rest of the house)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428783792.807533.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428783808.182128.jpg

Roof box full, bikes on the back; settled on the altera rack. Sites nicely on the detachable tow ball and slides away to allow full access when opening the tailgate

Set up at the park cliffe site. Few issues setting up but once done settled down to a BBQ. The only problem with the site was we were surrounded by caravans - felt very out of place. But had a great few days

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428783847.245629.jpg

Then on bank holiday Monday left and headed to eskdale via the Hardknott and wrynoss passes from Ambleside. Was a little concerned at the 6'6" width warnings, managed that part fine, had to fold the mirrors twice. Then the passes. Had been advised not to try them as they are narrow but so pleased we did. Absolutely stunning but with some serious ascents and descents

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428784118.958194.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428784167.909230.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428784205.611589.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428784228.339835.jpg

Then we arrived at eskdale. What a fantastic site. Martyn and his wife manage the site and were really welcoming and helpful. They host the annual eskdale vdub event which is next weekend (17/18/19 April) which we are also going to. Daisy, our 4 year old quickly found the playground and trampoline and made loads of friends as we set up and settled down to another bbq

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428784377.507571.jpg

Few days walking and biking with perfect weather. Loved the new van, played with the fridge (setting 7 freezes things nicely) and the heating through the night which is brilliant. Perfect vehicle, so pleased to have stepped away from our old bay and splitscreen.

Wish I'd fitted the new inka seat covers before we went - Daisy managed to truly test the light grey seats out, at least mud comes out. Seat covers being fitted this week before our next trip

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428784650.530265.jpg

All in all a great trip. Violet performed faultlessly. Eskdale is stunning. Seat covers are needed and fridge on level 4/5 is fine

Richard, Rachel and Daisy

Looking forward to our next

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428783551.109765.jpg

Great post, van looks superb! :thumb

We too were in the lakes mon/tues at Waterfoot Park site, which is situated at the top of Ullswater. Great site only 10 minutes walk to the pier for the boat and Pooley Bridge. Excellent weather for a first trip this year.
Night heater is a god send as it stopped my Mrs complaining about the cold! Kids didn't moan and they were upstairs.
Just a point to make about seat covers, if you use isofix for Daisys seat check the cover has holes or you'll have to make your own. I had to butcher ours so that I could fit my youngest daughter's car seat.
Wish we'd taken our awning as we would have had more space inside.
Love the colour of your cali.

Lovely van and super pics. :thumb

Thanks for the comprehensive review -- the Lakes are definitely on my to-do list for this year so grateful for the tips. Van looks lovely in Blackberry too!

Thanks everyone, looking forward to this coming weekend for our next trip

Tuono001 thanks for the tip re the isofix. We've bought the inka covers so will see how I get on

Rich

Left Eskdale on the Bank Holiday Monday. Great place. Lots of walking and we can highly recommend the Woodpecker Inn.

Managed to the take the bike (MTB) so did a loop up Birker Fell and Hardknott. Hardknott kicked my sorry behind this time.

(Didn't fancy taking the Cali over the pass though! - We came up Birker Fell with the rear mudguard rubbing on the switch backs)

Looks great.....yes seat covers take the angst away. Just come back and the Cali looks as if it has been through a sandstorm! Enjoy your trips..... Take loads of pics of you all....not just the Cali. !

Great looking van Rich.
Are those the VW side rails or another brand?

Al

You look like you have a great rig.
I added an item to my pre-season checklist after failing to recall how to pop down my popup shelter.....had to travel home with it taking up all space behind front seats! Not only that but it had rained overnight so it was wet!
List now includes: Play You Tube demo on how to pop down popup tent and do a practice run....before embarrassing oneself on a site! That's me, I've 'got it' again for the season!
Was in a lovely wee site near Cumwhitton last weekend.

The way that van looks, I don't think the T6 could be any better :thumb

Great looking van Rich.
Are those the VW side rails or another brand?

Al

Thanks, we are absolutely loving it. Had another weekend in the lashes last week at the Eskdale caravan and camping club site - highly recommended

The side rails are standard VW ones

Rich

It's lovely around there. There's a great pub in Boot that does cracking food too.
I can't wait for ours to arrive