Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First VW GC 680 Road Trip

A

Adeybruce

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Having picked up my van from the dealer in Germany, I set off for the first road trip to Turkey - good chance to try out the camper. Here’s a few pics.
All of the electronic drivers aids were completely new to me (lane assist, blind spot, AAC) but having fitnesses to them it made a very long journey much easier. The sensors and camera helps with parking and manoeuvring a large vehicle a lot less stressful, and it’ll even park itself.
2 things annoy me; the ramshackle method of curtaining the cab, and the table (restricts movement and there’s no great place to stow it (I’m going to get a smaller one made). Otherwise, what a great wagon.
ACA3DBE6-6BE5-4A73-B87B-C773F976995A.jpeg0FE6D6E5-1D10-4179-ACC0-B85848605FBF.jpegE2C8662B-2478-40BF-9C75-410BF60A11C8.jpegC125721B-535E-44E0-8CAC-BB902EE2B907.jpeg60CFD3AF-00CB-4BD1-8891-68CDE3014B72.jpegBF31DB22-CB2F-4246-8ED4-07D813D8230D.jpeg726BC62A-93A9-4BF9-A3C8-8FEC81BA9F0C.jpegAD96693B-17BF-40FF-B3D6-0D11706A4C56.jpeg43DEAAA3-3289-465A-8065-1F2954B8985A.jpeg

Having picked up my van from the dealer in Germany, I set off for the first road trip to Turkey - good chance to try out the camper. Here’s a few pics.
All of the electronic drivers aids were completely new to me (lane assist, blind spot, AAC) but having fitnesses to them it made a very long journey much easier. The sensors and camera helps with parking and manoeuvring a large vehicle a lot less stressful, and it’ll even park itself.
2 things annoy me; the ramshackle method of curtaining the cab, and the table (restricts movement and there’s no great place to stow it (I’m going to get a smaller one made). Otherwise, what a great wagon.
View attachment 51437View attachment 51438View attachment 51439View attachment 51441View attachment 51442View attachment 51443View attachment 51444View attachment 51445View attachment 51446
Excuse the typos!

View attachment 51437View attachment 51438View attachment 51439View attachment 51441View attachment 51442View attachment 51443View attachment 51444View attachment 51445View attachment 51446
I take it it’s the 680 ????
looks so much shorter in grey ...looks lovely

What a great adventure you’re on. Both an early adopter and a great sounding trip. Enjoy! And good luck.

like you do......

Great pics, where is that on queuing up for a ferry?
Thanks.
It’s Ancona, one of those great gathering points for Overlanders. So many fantastic expedition vehicles I would have paid for a ticket just to look around!

So how much are you liking it and for what areas over and above our beloved T6’s

So how much are you liking it and for what areas over and above our beloved T6’s
All campervans are a design compromise. I get a bathroom, much more storage, a permanent bed and room to stand up and walk around. There’s a higher driving position which makes cruising really easy. In exchange I get a much bigger vehicle that won’t suit all situations, and worse economy. This won’t suit all, but it works out for me (I think!)

Well good luck with your adventure, may see you around!!!

I have the same problem with table in my joker, I’ve made a little table out of ikea chopping board and b&q fold down shelve bracket50A691EB-C8A7-47E1-A2CD-C5AA2E971502.jpeg834719F3-14AF-48D9-AB4F-BC7828CB6AFB.jpeg

Loving the van, how do you find the gas heating over the diesel one in the Cali is it better? (Less noise and smells?)

Loving the van, how do you find the gas heating over the diesel one in the Cali is it better? (Less noise and smells?)
Not really had much need for the heating yet, so can’t offer much experience. I’ve tested it and it certainly didn’t sound like a rocket taking off in the middle of the night ;)

Hi, good to see you enjoying your new toy and thank you for sharing.

What kind of MPG are you getting?

Tried the bed at the NEC and seemed comfy but they wouldn't let me take a shower :) So what is the shower experience like?

Tried the bed at the NEC and seemed comfy but they wouldn't let me take a shower :) So what is the shower experience like?
I was waiting for a child's voice shouting finished when i was trying out the bed, the joys of grandchildren hey.

You very lucky son of a gun!!

I was waiting for a child's voice shouting finished when i was trying out the bed, the joys of grandchildren hey.

I think it has yet to settle down, but over 2,500 miles it was an average of 27-29 MPG. I expect as a take slower journeys it will get better.

I think it has yet to settle down, but over 2,500 miles it was an average of 27-29 MPG. I expect as a take slower journeys it will get better.

Thanks for sharing that, same as my 2.5 VW Toureg so not bad for such a big beast. And the shower... luxurious torrents of steamy hot water or a warm dribble?

Thanks for sharing that, same as my 2.5 VW Toureg so not bad for such a big beast. And the shower... luxurious torrents of steamy hot water or a warm dribble?
I’d describe the shower (both of them) and the sink tap as being ‘gentle’ rather than vigorous. It certainly gets the job done, whilst conserving as much water as possible.

I’d describe the shower (both of them) and the sink tap as being ‘gentle’ rather than vigorous. It certainly gets the job done, whilst conserving as much water as possible.
Hi
I had a look at the Grand at the nec show this weekend, I asked where the leisure batteries are and found out there’s only 1 in the 600 (starter and leisure bat under bonnet).
Does yours only have 1 leisure battery if so how’s it coping off grid?
Thanks

Hi
I had a look at the Grand at the nec show this weekend, I asked where the leisure batteries are and found out there’s only 1 in the 600 (starter and leisure bat under bonnet).
Does yours only have 1 leisure battery if so how’s it coping off grid?
Thanks
So here’s the info; vehicle battery is under the drivers footwell (with jump-start connectors under the bonnet, if needed). The leisure battery is under the bonnet, and is 95 amp hours (I think).
I‘ve coping fine off grid. It’s been warm so the fridge has been working hard, but it’s been pretty sunny too (solar is a must, either factory or self-fit). Now I am in Turkey at the moment, so that’s a factor. I fully expect to fit additional batteries in the electrical cupboard once I know what I’m dealing with, along with a proper inverter (the fitted inverter is only 300 watts, and I think is connected to the vehicle battery - with a pretty sensitive cut off). I hope that helps.

Back