Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip to Europe

AMH70

AMH70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hi everyone. I have a new Coast and have bought the necessary legal requirements for my first trip to France (25/8) but a bit confused about headlight converters - do I need them? Also any other tips for my first trip would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to head to Austria but they aren’t letting us Brits in as yet! Thank you.

as far as I am aware you are required to have headlight converters of some sort even if you not intending to do any night time driving. If you are entering shengen in France, assume the ferry or tunnel then there are no border checks on the roads, but I would check individual country rules in the country you are travelling from and too.

Hi everyone. I have a new Coast and have bought the necessary legal requirements for my first trip to France (25/8) but a bit confused about headlight converters - do I need them? Also any other tips for my first trip would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to head to Austria but they aren’t letting us Brits in as yet! Thank you.
Hello @AMH70 - the first trip in the van, over to the continent, is always exciting.

On headlight converters - does your van have LED or normal headlights? If LED, then there is an option on the menu to change for travel. Use that. If normal, then yes, you will need the headlight converters. In fact, all you need is a small piece of black tape at the correct place to stop the headlight from throwing the beam incorrectly (see pic below, notice the black tape on the headlights). The Austrian police were good with this when we entered Austria. (not my van, but a rental from a few years ago).

1628579031445.png

Not sure of your level of experience so forgive me if I sound condescending
- the first challenge is the change in driving side. Be very very careful the first hour. Then it becomes normal. be careful at roundabouts.
- campsites in France - at times the polarity is different - so carry along a camping reverse polarity adaptor
- If using autoroutes, get the liber-Tag or equivalent. Makes covering distances much easier.
- Aire's along the French autoroutes are great. We usually prefer to stop overnight at Aire's that have an attached petrol station. Gives us a better sense of safety. Did stop at a deserted Aire on an Autoroute, but decided to sleep down below.
- take lots of music along with you.
- Remember to carry your puncture repair kit.
- Remember your green card.
- Have a list of the emergency numbers - similar to AA. Have the VW assistance number for Europe listed somewhere.
- Keys - have a spare at a safe place outside of the van or hang around your neck so that you do not get locked out.

Austria - just before you enter, at the border, remember to buy the Vignette and display prominently on the UK passenger side front.

... and enjoy the trip.

Even if you haven’t got LED’s you‘ve got nothing to worry about, other drivers will think you’ve fitted some sort of automatic dimming device anyway.

Last edited:
Hello @AMH70 On headlight converters - does your van have LED or normal headlights? If LED, then there is an option on the menu to change for travel.

There is no way of changing the dip on T6.1 LEDs They are an almost flat beam. The menu option does not exist.

Since when has Austria used the vignette system?

Since when has Austria used the vignette system?

Only if you plan on using the motorways and expressways, if you want to take the ‘normal’ generally mor scenic roads then you don’t need the vignette, much like Switzerland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. I have a new Coast and have bought the necessary legal requirements
Have you got the Crit'air sticker for France? Depending where you are going you may need it. Its about £5 from the official site & lasts as long as your windscreen.

Be careful, headlight deflectors ARE a requirement even if just daylight driving. Dont get caught out

Dash Cameras, Forward or Reverse facing.

Using a dash cam in Austria is illegal, full-stop. First-time offenders will be slapped with a whopping €10,000 fine, with repeat offenders fined €25,000. In fact, it's not even legal to own a dash cam. Be sure to leave yours behind if you're planning to head there on your trip.1 Aug 2018

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 09.08.10.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 09.08.46.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 09.08.59.jpg

Do believe speed camera warnings on satnav in France illegal as well, not sure how they check

Do believe speed camera warnings on satnav in France illegal as well, not sure how they check
Most modern satnavs with that function automatically change the message to something like " Accident Black Spot " instead of Speed Camera.

Only if you plan on using the motorways and expressways, if you want to take the ‘normal’ generally mor scenic roads then you don’t need the vignette, much like Switzerland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to add, some of the motorways in Austria don't need the motorway vignette (e.g. around the Swiss / German / Austria Bodensee point, but not many), and many then also have tolls.

If by chance you will travel to Germany and want to go through "Umwelt" zones you will need an emissions sticker.

Have you got the Crit'air sticker for France? Depending where you are going you may need it. Its about £5 from the official site & lasts as long as your windscreen.
No I don’t - I didn’t think I’d need one because van so new. Thank you - will order.

Hello @AMH70 - the first trip in the van, over to the continent, is always exciting.

On headlight converters - does your van have LED or normal headlights? If LED, then there is an option on the menu to change for travel. Use that. If normal, then yes, you will need the headlight converters. In fact, all you need is a small piece of black tape at the correct place to stop the headlight from throwing the beam incorrectly (see pic below, notice the black tape on the headlights). The Austrian police were good with this when we entered Austria. (not my van, but a rental from a few years ago).

View attachment 82831

Not sure of your level of experience so forgive me if I sound condescending
- the first challenge is the change in driving side. Be very very careful the first hour. Then it becomes normal. be careful at roundabouts.
- campsites in France - at times the polarity is different - so carry along a camping reverse polarity adaptor
- If using autoroutes, get the liber-Tag or equivalent. Makes covering distances much easier.
- Aire's along the French autoroutes are great. We usually prefer to stop overnight at Aire's that have an attached petrol station. Gives us a better sense of safety. Did stop at a deserted Aire on an Autoroute, but decided to sleep down below.
- take lots of music along with you.
- Remember to carry your puncture repair kit.
- Remember your green card.
- Have a list of the emergency numbers - similar to AA. Have the VW assistance number for Europe listed somewhere.
- Keys - have a spare at a safe place outside of the van or hang around your neck so that you do not get locked out.

Austria - just before you enter, at the border, remember to buy the Vignette and display prominently on the UK passenger side front.

... and enjoy the trip.
Thank you and you’re not condescending in any way. I have driven in Europe before but not in my camper. I haven’t a clue what head lights I have - it’s a new coast. I’m not keen on Aires because I’m travelling alone with a child so feel a bit nervous whereas I feel a bit more secure on a site. Maybe I’m being silly and once done will realise it is safe. I don’t think I will get into Austria because they aren’t accepting Brits but then that could change. Thank you.

If by chance you will travel to Germany and want to go through "Umwelt" zones you will need an emissions sticker.
Brexit means they won’t send to the U.K. now so how would anyone get one I wonder

Brexit means they won’t send to the U.K. now so how would anyone get one I wonder
I'm not sure about that, there seem to be plenty of internet sites prepared to charge inflated prices to acquire one for you.
The official site tuvsud.com/de has a section "Where can I buy a German emissions sticker" and this is at the German equivalent of U.K. MoT stations. It has a location finder so you could find one on your route. The collected price is 5.85 euros, which is about one third of the cost via some unofficial websites.

Ours Garmin warns as an accident black spot in France..But when you get to Spain it says speed camera..

No I don’t - I didn’t think I’d need one because van so new. Thank you - will order.
Need a sticker on right side of windscreen. It's for the vehicle not you.
More and more French Cities adopting it, like here in the UK.

Fiendishly expensive though when one bought directly from the relevant country is about €5 each.

Alan
Agree but most local sellers wont ship to UK because of Brexit protocols (Bonkers, I know but it is what it is). The site I listed is less than €10 and will ship to UK.

Back