Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip-done!

Wolfie

Wolfie

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just joined. We have been ‘under canvas’ for many years and loved every minute. Always said that we would buy a campervan when we were able and twenty years on we finally got to order our California Ocean in August 2016 and register it in March 2017-so very lucky. This forum has been our Bible for almost a year before ordering and so to all of the expert contributors, thank you so much. You have guided us almost exclusively to our final choice of van, options, insurance, bike rack, accessories, finance options etc, etc. In the end we chose 150PS, manual, Indium Grey, F&R parking sensors with rear view camera, privacy glass, ACC with MFSW, removable towbar, black awning and 6.33” composition media radio.

Just returned from our first trip and we are so pleased with it. It is everything we expected and more. Can’t wait for the next outing.
IMG_4434.JPG

Great stuff,
Welcome!

That looks like East Fleet campsite?

Welcome to ownership, I hope you willhave many wonderful trips that you can share with us :)

Great stuff and welcome. Enjoy your continuing adventures :thumb

Thanks for the great welcome everyone. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) contributing to this amazing community.

I agree with you MattBW it does look like East Fleet (I haven't been there, but just Googled it), but in fact it is Haw Wood Farm Campsite in Suffolk. The pitches are very spacious; the shower/toilet block are outstanding and the staff are welcoming and very helpful.

Thanks Seaside Sussex, just trying it out as it is the first use of the Altera Strada DL3. (Until now we have had Thule roof bars and carriers on a car, which were excellent and served us very well). The idea comes from an adaption from years of camping with nowhere to lock our bikes to. If I was staying for a few days at a place, I thought that I might not want to have the rack on the back of the van if I was using it to run around in. So I screwed in two heavy duty ground spikes and threaded a chain through them and through the sub-frame of the rack. This locks the rack to the ground when out cycling. The spikes can't be twisted out as there are two of them (though it is possible to remove them with a JCB!). The rack then serves as a place to park the bikes on return and takes only a minute to secure them, with the chain being an anchor point for a 'D' lock to attach the bikes. I have some photos of how I set it up which I could post. There's probably a thread already, but I'm not quite sure how to find it at the moment. Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks for the great welcome everyone. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) contributing to this amazing community.

I agree with you MattBW it does look like East Fleet (I haven't been there, but just Googled it), but in fact it is Haw Wood Farm Campsite in Suffolk. The pitches are very spacious; the shower/toilet block are outstanding and the staff are welcoming and very helpful.

Thanks Seaside Sussex, just trying it out as it is the first use of the Altera Strada DL3. (Until now we have had Thule roof bars and carriers on a car, which were excellent and served us very well). The idea comes from an adaption from years of camping with nowhere to lock our bikes to. If I was staying for a few days at a place, I thought that I might not want to have the rack on the back of the van if I was using it to run around in. So I screwed in two heavy duty ground spikes and threaded a chain through them and through the sub-frame of the rack. This locks the rack to the ground when out cycling. The spikes can't be twisted out as there are two of them (though it is possible to remove them with a JCB!). The rack then serves as a place to park the bikes on return and takes only a minute to secure them, with the chain being an anchor point for a 'D' lock to attach the bikes. I have some photos of how I set it up which I could post. There's probably a thread already, but I'm not quite sure how to find it at the moment. Any pointers gratefully received.
Nice one! Went for the Same bike rack for much the same reason. Hadn't thought of the spikes to secure it but picked up a toilet tent the plan being bikes/rack will be in there should we use the Cali to go off site and the tent will have other uses, maybe

Mike

:welcome @Wolfie Great choice of van...look forward to hearing of your adventures.

Welcome! The journey starts here........:welcome

Oops! Appear to be pressing the wrong buttons to reply but welcome.
Sorry everyone.

Welcome @Wolfie Great idea with the bike rack! Enjoy every further trip (even to the local store/shop)!
Cheers sapto