Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First time hire of Cali Ocean

Troglodyte

Troglodyte

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi everyone

Have been looking at this site for several months now, very envious of all your Calis, Beaches etc and the trips you have shared.

My wife and I have hired a Cali for 3 weeks over Christmas, to go on a little tour of the UK. We are seriously considering buying one next year, but wanted to get a flavour of what it is like. We have much experience in camping. We normally use a Tent Teepee and wood burning stove, even in the winter, so winter trip is not an issue for us. We plan to take our electric bikes for days out or popping to shops or pub, therefore will need some sites with power hook up. We also plan to do some fell and mountain walking etc. if weather allows and it is safe.

We are getting our Cali from Ocean Mist, and it seems to be comprehensively kitted out. Plan on going to Northumbria, travelling down perhaps via Yorkshire, Cumbria, Wales to Gloucestershire over 10 days for Christmas with family, and then to Portreath for New Year with friends, where we will be in a house, yes with four walls. Then return back to Petersfield for 5th January.

With no experience of the Cali at all or any campervan / caravaning, could really do with some advice on what to take with us. Some questions we have been considering:

Recommendations for places to stay, wild camp, camp sites or pub car parks.
Book in advance or take a chance?
Sleeping bags or bedding?
Any other essentials that might not be provided with Cali?
Any other tips welcome.

Thanks for your help in advance

Welcome allong , is it a Beach or an Ocean you are going to rent ?
Slightly diffrent approch in how to cook meals ...

As for tips , you say you been reading here for months so you should have taken some usefull info on board allready ;)

Hi everyone

Have been looking at this site for several months now, very envious of all your Calis, Beaches etc and the trips you have shared.

My wife and I have hired a Cali for 3 weeks over Christmas, to go on a little tour of the UK. We are seriously considering buying one next year, but wanted to get a flavour of what it is like. We have much experience in camping. We normally use a Tent Teepee and wood burning stove, even in the winter, so winter trip is not an issue for us. We plan to take our electric bikes for days out or popping to shops or pub, therefore will need some sites with power hook up. We also plan to do some fell and mountain walking etc. if weather allows and it is safe.

We are getting our Cali from Ocean Mist, and it seems to be comprehensively kitted out. Plan on going to Northumbria, travelling down perhaps via Yorkshire, Cumbria, Wales to Gloucestershire over 10 days for Christmas with family, and then to Portreath for New Year with friends, where we will be in a house, yes with four walls. Then return back to Petersfield for 5th January.

With no experience of the Cali at all or any campervan / caravaning, could really do with some advice on what to take with us. Some questions we have been considering:

Recommendations for places to stay, wild camp, camp sites or pub car parks.
Book in advance or take a chance?
Sleeping bags or bedding?
Any other essentials that might not be provided with Cali?
Any other tips welcome.

Thanks for your help in advance

Welcome here!
- I can not do any rec on camp sites however I would def go on a nice cosy site.
- I would book in advanced (here it is high season for skiing)
- We mix: nice bedding and for me a good sleeping bag.
- Of course check the gas&diesel before arriving at site (heater runs with diesel) to cook or make some coffee or tea.
- We like to use a torch or a head torch and some cosy slippers (from the north face)
- Check if there is a front window cover provided and a shovel/chains and gloves to put them on

Sorry if I am streching it too much. At the end it is all personal.

However I whish you a great first experience and send some pictures please!

Keep it simple, check and pack for the weather. Stay at sites with hookup and good facilities. Walking distance to a pub a must. You can be more adventurous later when you get the Cali bug. :thumb

who did you hire from @Troglodyte ?
Im planning family trips to busfest & CJam next year and need to hire two for each weekend. - any recommendations?

For winter camping I would recommend getting a small low current electric oil-filled heater (as sold in the shop here) if you are going to be using electric hook-ups in any case. The diesel heater can be quite noisy when the fan blows at high settings, and over three weeks you could get through a fair bit of diesel, I think. A heater would be useful if you do buy a Cali later, and you can always use it as an extra heater in the house or an outbuilding. At this time of year we rely on our oil-filled heater for background heat while sleeping and just supplement with the diesel heater when required for quick heat, e.g. at breakfast time.

For winter camping I would recommend getting a small low current electric oil-filled heater (as sold in the shop here) if you are going to be using electric hook-ups in any case. The diesel heater can be quite noisy when the fan blows at high settings, and over three weeks you could get through a fair bit of diesel, I think. A heater would be useful if you do buy a Cali later, and you can always use it as an extra heater in the house or an outbuilding. At this time of year we rely on our oil-filled heater for background heat while sleeping and just supplement with the diesel heater when required for quick heat, e.g. at breakfast time.
Many thanks for the heating tip. As we are just trying for the first time, I will risk no additional heater this time. Bear in mind I’m normally camping in a tent! However when we buy (oops that’s a buying signal) our Cali, would definitely consider.

Keep it simple, check and pack for the weather. Stay at sites with hookup and good facilities. Walking distance to a pub a must. You can be more adventurous later when you get the Cali bug. :thumb
Thanks. Definitely plan to check the weather before we set off. Plan B is to stay south if snow is forecasted up north. Phil at Ocean Mist Hire has been very helpful. Evidently a book is supplied of pubs you can stay at along with C&CC directory.

Welcome here!
- I can not do any rec on camp sites however I would def go on a nice cosy site.
- I would book in advanced (here it is high season for skiing)
- We mix: nice bedding and for me a good sleeping bag.
- Of course check the gas&diesel before arriving at site (heater runs with diesel) to cook or make some coffee or tea.
- We like to use a torch or a head torch and some cosy slippers (from the north face)
- Check if there is a front window cover provided and a shovel/chains and gloves to put them on

Sorry if I am streching it too much. At the end it is all personal.

However I whish you a great first experience and send some pictures please!
Thanks, some really good tips here, especially bedding and fuel. Will try and post some pics en-route.

Welcome allong , is it a Beach or an Ocean you are going to rent ?
Slightly diffrent approch in how to cook meals ...

As for tips , you say you been reading here for months so you should have taken some usefull info on board allready ;)
Thanks, yes it is a 2018 Ocean hired from Ocean Mist. Hoping not to cook too much, probably eat out mainly. There is a BBQ provided, so weather depending, could make use of this.

Hi troglodyte

If your a seasoned camper the same rules apply, pack for weather, near pub if not cooking.

If on Electrical hook up (check cable length supplied with hire van ? Ideally 25m?) to ensure cable stretches far enough to hook up point.

Pitch with hard stand (if poor weather) is a good idea to help keep the crud out of the van. Outside mat to take off muddy shoes etc.

Sleeping bag vs quilt is personal preference for you to decide.

Enjoy Cali life.

Some thoughts.

I don't think you will need to book sites ahead at this time of the year in the UK. Your main problem may well be finding sites that are open. The bigger Camping and Caravan Club (C&CC) and Caravan and Motorhome (C&M) sites are open in the winter. Join one of the these clubs and get the hand book and phone App.

Hook up is ideal, but you can run for 3-4 days on the leisure batteries in one place. If you drive each day then the batteries will be kept topped up. As the van is new you shouldn't have an issue here.

Technically wild camping is illegal in England. Perfectly legal in Scotland though. Not certain about Wales. Provided you abide by the usual rules, such as don't leave rubbish, pollute or churn up the land and are hidden a little bit, then you will probably be OK. If asked to move on, do so without argument.

The heater ticks which can either be soothing or irritating. In winter have it on at night set to 1 or 2 and it will keep the chill off. I like the small heater idea, but you can only use this when on hook up using the 13amp socket. The fitted inverter is unlikely to be able to handle the power consumption (it is limited 150 Watts) It is only really any good for computer charging.

As you are going North, find out if the van has all weather tyres fitted and if not ask if the hire company is willing to swap a set from another van or give you a van with them fitted. Summer tyres in icy conditions is not a good idea. Further south will not be an issue.

You could benefit from a roof topper if the hire company have one. This will keep the van a little warmer at night when the roof is up.

The fridge will not have to work hard to keep food cool, running at 3 will be fine, we run it at 6 or max in the summer. Not the most efficient thing in the van.

We use duvets (don't like the restriction of a bag), but that is all down to personal choice.

Oh! lock the bikes onto the bike rack at all times.

Hope that helps a little.

Alan

Some thoughts.

I don't think you will need to book sites ahead at this time of the year in the UK. Your main problem may well be finding sites that are open. The bigger Camping and Caravan Club (C&CC) and Caravan and Motorhome (C&M) sites are open in the winter. Join one of the these clubs and get the hand book and phone App.

Hook up is ideal, but you can run for 3-4 days on the leisure batteries in one place. If you drive each day then the batteries will be kept topped up. As the van is new you shouldn't have an issue here.

Technically wild camping is illegal in England. Perfectly legal in Scotland though. Not certain about Wales. Provided you abide by the usual rules, such as don't leave rubbish, pollute or churn up the land and are hidden a little bit, then you will probably be OK. If asked to move on, do so without argument.

The heater ticks which can either be soothing or irritating. In winter have it on at night set to 1 or 2 and it will keep the chill off. I like the small heater idea, but you can only use this when on hook up using the 13amp socket. The fitted inverter is unlikely to be able to handle the power consumption (it is limited 150 Watts) It is only really any good for computer charging.

As you are going North, find out if the van has all weather tyres fitted and if not ask if the hire company is willing to swap a set from another van or give you a van with them fitted. Summer tyres in icy conditions is not a good idea. Further south will not be an issue.

You could benefit from a roof topper if the hire company have one. This will keep the van a little warmer at night when the roof is up.

The fridge will not have to work hard to keep food cool, running at 3 will be fine, we run it at 6 or max in the summer. Not the most efficient thing in the van.

We use duvets (don't like the restriction of a bag), but that is all down to personal choice.

Oh! lock the bikes onto the bike rack at all times.

Hope that helps a little.

Alan

Can you explain why wild camping is perfectly legal in Scotland? If you mean the outdoor access code then this doesn't apply to motorised vehicles. Other than that I would have thought that the road traffic act is Scotland would be the same as the rest of the U.K. I'm interested as Scotland will be where we will be doing most of our campervanning.
Cheers, Scott

Can you explain why wild camping is perfectly legal in Scotland? If you mean the outdoor access code then this doesn't apply to motorised vehicles. Other than that I would have thought that the road traffic act is Scotland would be the same as the rest of the U.K. I'm interested as Scotland will be where we will be doing most of our campervanning.
Cheers, Scott

It’s not.

https://wildaboutscotland.com/2014/11/30/wild-camping-in-scotland-camper-vans-and-motorhomes/

Last edited:
Decide where you’ll sleep. We prefer up top but there’s only canvas between you and the elements.
You need warm quilts, double sleeping bag or whatever, but warm.
It’ll be cold and wet and I would rely on the Cali heater-amazing, especially on a morning when you wake up.
Consider what you’ll put dirty boots in when you return to the van after walking and if you have mats in the living area.
I’ve just had a cold, wet weekend in France and it’s much harder than the long hot summer days where it’s light until 10pm and warm and dry too. Dark at 4.30, cold without the heater but lovely with it working.
We wild camped and generally don’t use sites at any time-we have solar so no problem with leisure batteries but I’d say, if the weather is poor and you enjoy your time you’ll be sold on the Cali.
It stands up in any weather, is flexible and brilliantly put together.

Yes. Doesn't answer my question as to why Alan thinks it is different in Scotland compared to the rest of the U.K.

In my opinion, the difference is that there are lots more places to wild camp in Scotland, compared to England and it’s also much less densely populated (ie less likely that someone sees you, or is bothered). The legality is no different, but no-one minds if you are reasonable and leave no mess.

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

We stopped at a picnic area in Scotland near Dunoon. There was a sign which had wording to the effect that “You are welcome to to camp here but note that there is no parking between the hours of X and Y”. So you need to walk to your wild camping location on that basis! :headbang

There is no doubt the access code is Scotland is great. I love backpacking and frequently get out for hikes and overnights especially in the Cairngorms which are pretty close to me. A small one or two man tent is quite innocuous for a night. I think part of the problem is the use of the term 'wild camping' when applied to campervans.
We rented a cali this weekend and went to Skye, which was fantastic, spotted a few places to park and stay off grid but also a number of places with 'no parking overnight' signs. We stayed on a campsite as it was my wife's first foray and she was not happy with the thought of no facilities. Good result as she has come round to the idea of getting one! Not many campsites open but as long as you park considerately and respect no overnight parking requests, I'm sure it would be ok.

Yes. Doesn't answer my question as to why Alan thinks it is different in Scotland compared to the rest of the U.K.
I stand corrected. I was under the clearly misguided impression the we could stop overnight under the Land Reform Act 2003.

We toured around the west of Scotland last year, and although I seem to remember there was some debate about it, that provided you were sensible, the authorities would draw a blind eye to this activity. Lock Lomond, where we stayed at the very nice C&CC site on the east side, was an exception as this is a very popular destination and charged a fee for the night.

Wild About Scotland's post is clear that this activity is not legal for vehicles according to the law and an activity that is increasingly frowned upon, in part due to many van owners being disrespectful to the area, gathering in one place and leaving litter and human waste distributed about. Camping under this law is under canvas and not on 4 wheels.

Having said all of that, it appears that many still do it (just as they do in England too) and don't cause a problem to anyone. We choose not to 'wild camp' as we are both of an age were having loo access in the middle of the night is an important consideration, so always stay on official sites.

I have always wondered why we don't provide Aires in the UK as they do in France.

Alan

It is a bit of a minefield Alan. I can understand the hiking and camping but the motorhome / campervan is a grey area. I am planning on using mine to access more remote areas so it would be good to get clarity but I suppose as long as the van is parked considerately and no more than 1 night in the same spot it will be fine. The harbour in our village allows vans to park for short stays and there is a toilet available. This seems to work well and brings people into the area.
Agree that Aires would be a great option.