Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First stop, lauterbrunnen, Switzerland

Pro moochers

Pro moochers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We’re heading to Lauterbrunnen mid September.
I’ve heard there’s a few sites to choose from which is good as we have no intention on booking ahead, as we want to arrive/leave whenever we want.
Question is, has anyone arrived and struggled to just book on a site there and then?
Also, any sites worth avoiding?
Just me and the wife, no kids.

Planning to stay for 3-4 nights then head “somewhere else”
Maybe Dolomites, maybe lake como, maybe Austria, depends on the weather.

Has anyone else traveled elsewhere after Lauterbrunnen? If so, where did you end up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Yes.....
Turned away just yesterday despite contacting the site by e-mail 3 weeks before and was told in the reply "Just turn up early afternoon and we'll find space for you'.This was slightly further North in Ringgenberg and they don't seem to take bookings for less than 4 nights but if there is space when you turn up you can stay less.
In September, this may be a different story with more chance of success. As it happened we could have got in at the next campsite along but by then I wanted to keep driving for another hour as the weather forecast was better (not sure that it turned out that way in reality) but got into another site in Lucerne no bother.

There's jungfrau camping that's near town. If you don't like screaming kids try further up the valley. Just opposite trummelbach falls Is camping breithorn. It's less popular due to being further away from lauterbrunnen but you can still walk into town in about 45 minutes along the stunning footpath past the waterfalls and farms. I stayed there a week and loved it. FB_IMG_1544395721842.jpg

There's jungfrau camping that's near town. If you don't like screaming kids try further up the valley. Just opposite trummelbach falls Is camping breithorn. It's less popular due to being further away from lauterbrunnen but you can still walk into town in about 45 minutes along the stunning footpath past the waterfalls and farms. I stayed there a week and loved it. View attachment 49201
Is your photo jungfrau or breithorn?

This is on camping Breithorn, wonderfull place. The camping is good, but no shade.
It is very quiet as there is no swimming pool. IMGP1231.JPG
This is a view of the camping. My blue California is behind the white T4.

There's jungfrau camping that's near town. If you don't like screaming kids try further up the valley. Just opposite trummelbach falls Is camping breithorn. It's less popular due to being further away from lauterbrunnen but you can still walk into town in about 45 minutes along the stunning footpath past the waterfalls and farms. I stayed there a week and loved it. View attachment 49201

No screaming kids and a 45 minute walk sounds ideal!

We stayed at camping Jungfrau and we weren't bothered by kids. We had a little terrace all to ourselves. A bit pricey but great facilities and handy for the village and station.20190621_193039.jpg20190623_092857.jpg

Was on camping Breithorn for the first time in the late 80's. When the sisters Von Allmen were also a little younger. There was a little girl then, that now probably is about to take over the campsite with her husband.
Last time I was there was in 2015. Next time will be in 202x?

If your going in mid September all the kids will be at school so you will probably find a pitch anywhere.

Perfect!
Might do a couple of different sites

Perfect!
Might do a couple of different sites

The valley at Lauterbrunnen is spectacular but it’s also really nice by lake Thun and there are a few campsites in the Interlaken area, one has pitches right by the lakeside.

Last edited:
The valley at Lauterbrunnen is spectacular but it’s also really nice by lake Thun and there are a few campsites in the Interlaken area, one has pitches right by the lakeside.

Looking at pictures/videos, there’s a chance we won’t want to leave so we’ll probably end up there for a week.
If so, a couple of different areas nearby would be good so I’ll consider the lake too.
Thanks

Murren. Wengen. Schilthorn. The walk at the end of the valley, starting from Stechelberg to Trachsellauenen to the Oberhornsee. Take a view at the Schmadribachfall. If you want to pay for it: train to Jungfraujoch. A bike trip from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken is also nice. Trümmelbachfälle. A day trip walking from camping Breithorn, direction Trümmelbachfälle, but right before it, go to the right, behind a house, take the patch that climbs up the mountain, above the Trümmelbachfälle, going further up, taking a breathtaking view over the mountain Mönch, Jungfrau and Eiger, going further to Wengen. Then you can choose to walk down again to Lauterbrunnen, or take the train down.

I want to go there again

There are some lovely bike rides on country lanes just behind Thun (around Thierachern), and the little lakeside town of Spiez (south side of the lake coming from Thun towards Interlaken) is really nice

Camping au Lac in Ringgenberg, on the Brienzersee just to the east of Interlaken is a small site with no reservations possible but a lovely position right on the lake and pretty small and relatively quiet. Have old canoes available for use too

Murren. Wengen. Schilthorn. The walk at the end of the valley, starting from Stechelberg to Trachsellauenen to the Oberhornsee. Take a view at the Schmadribachfall. If you want to pay for it: train to Jungfraujoch. A bike trip from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken is also nice. Trümmelbachfälle. A day trip walking from camping Breithorn, direction Trümmelbachfälle, but right before it, go to the right, behind a house, take the patch that climbs up the mountain, above the Trümmelbachfälle, going further up, taking a breathtaking view over the mountain Mönch, Jungfrau and Eiger, going further to Wengen. Then you can choose to walk down again to Lauterbrunnen, or take the train down.

I want to go there again

Sounds perfect!
We do plan to get the train up to the jungraujoch

There are some lovely bike rides on country lanes just behind Thun (around Thierachern), and the little lakeside town of Spiez (south side of the lake coming from Thun towards Interlaken) is really nice

Hiring bikes also sounds like a good idea

Schynige Platte is also a great trip, get the train up from Wilderswil. At the top you can do a number of walks of varying length the longest is the 6hr to First. Views are amazing.

CAN I GO NOW PLEASE???

Here are my kids at the Schynige Platte, we’d just got off the funicular railway. We did the walk then got back to camp and a massive storm rolled in super high winds, very heavy rain plus thunder and lightning. Go prepared for mountain weather.DAD41CE9-25E1-4D95-AB84-E074C2790627.jpeg

Here are my kids at the Schynige Platte, we’d just got off the funicular railway. We did the walk then got back to camp and a massive storm rolled in super high winds, very heavy rain plus thunder and lightning. Go prepared for mountain weather.View attachment 49212

We always do go prepared, but thanks for the reminder

We always do go prepared, but thanks for the reminder

When we stayed in Lauterbrunnen in July for a week we pre-bought unlimited train ticket for 6 days from jungfrau.ch. We used the every day and it saved us lots. Not cheap, but save time and money plus gets you to go places you may otherwise not bother with. There are I believe other options from other companies too, but ours also have us free travel on the boated on the Lakes by Interlaken. Bonus!

Simon and Angela

Back