Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First night in our new California, Awning question.

Maidment_Ocean

Maidment_Ocean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Had our first overnight stop in our California last night at the Buxton CMC Site

Lovely site shame about the weather, rained from the minute we arrived until we left!

All a good learning experience.

My question is what wind speed would you leave your awning out in?
We put ours out to give us some dry space with the dog, but in the evening decided to bring in as wind was about 15mph. My gut was telling me it was fine (with Thule tie down straps) but did not want any disasters on first night!

any thoughts?

Thanks.

IMG_0447.jpeg

Had our first overnight stop in our California last night at the Buxton CMC Site

Lovely site shame about the weather, rained from the minute we arrived until we left!

We put ours out to give us some dry space with the dog, but in the evening decided to bring in as wind was about 15mph. My gut was telling me it was fine (with Thule tie down straps) but did not want any disasters on first night!

any thoughts?

Thanks.

View attachment 115111
That question has to be answered by the individual owner.

The resulting Damage of the awning wrapping up over the aluminium roof would be very expensive.

Last edited:
We have them and used once, in the wind. Wasnt a fan to be honest so not used again and if it feels too windy for just the std pegs the 2 mins to wind in is no hardship.

You need to consider a couple of other points as well as wind speed
- it is really quick to put away and also to put out again so why take the risk during the night of it blowing up rough, especially with quick release tie downs,
- if you get heavy rain then pooling can occur so adjusting leg lengths to allow runoff is also advised
All in all why leave it out
For me only nearly guaranteed settled weather would be enough justification vs 2 mins to put away

Thoughts? You’ll be fine well beyond that, but it’s not worth the worry if there is any worry so bring bring it in. You’ve dropped a leg though, so the water runs off - good job, plenty have learned the hard way.

I don’t have much confidence in mine. Even with a leg dropped water still pools in heavy rain and it’s quick to put away. I don’t bother with tie downs.

I’d agree with other comments above. We’ve risked deploying our wind out awning with Thule tie down straps in moderate wind and rain, but when it comes to overnight, only if there’s little or no wind and rain forecast. Friends had an awning collapse in heavy rain this year. What we have done though is to use a side tarp (Outwell Fallcrest) with or without the king pole legs, to give rain protection and allow coats and towels to dry a bit. The worst that can happen is a torn tarp - at £100 that would be annoying, but at least you can drive off in the morning, as opposed to a damaged wind out awning you can’t get back in.

(EDIT - we clip on fig of 8 strips to the top of the wind out awning - giving extra height to clear the side door. Otherwise the awning comes too low. Extra photo added ).

IMG_4590.jpeg

IMG_4578.jpeg

IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_4575.jpeg

Last edited:
I’d agree with other comments above. We’ve risked deploying our wind out awning with Thule tie down straps in moderate wind and rain, but when it comes to overnight, only if there’s little or no wind and rain forecast. Friends had an awning collapse in heavy rain this year. What we have done though is to use a side tarp (Outwell Fallcrest) with or without the king pole legs, to give rain protection and allow coats and towels to dry a bit. The worst that can happen is a torn tarp - at £100 that would be annoying, but at least you can drive off in the morning, as opposed to a damaged wind out awning you can’t get back in.

View attachment 115114

View attachment 115115

View attachment 115116
Wow great idea, we actually have this tarp but never thought of it, that sounds like a good low risk solution for wet conditions to give us space to towel off the dog etc!.

Cheers all for comments / advice.

each to their own on this one for sure. Went through the same feelings a couple of weeks ago with our new Cali too. we wound ours in, no fear then. I wouldn’t have slept.
your topper looks interesting, I haven’t bought one yet. can I ask what it is please?

mine is in the dealers today being tested for bellows leaking

each to their own on this one for sure. Went through the same feelings a couple of weeks ago with our new Cali too. we wound ours in, no fear then. I wouldn’t have slept.
your topper looks interesting, I haven’t bought one yet. can I ask what it is please?

mine is in the dealers today being tested for bellows leaking
It’s the Comfortz Cali wrap, with side vents, I bought it 2nd hand but never used, well before the van came. With the bellows risk and terrible weather I just put it on as soon as we got there. Made it a bit dark inside but better than possible flooding!

Let me add one more consideration. Sleep.

We always wind the awning in when going to sleep because the noise the awning can make in wind (flapping) and rain wakes us up / keeps us awake and has me worrying about whether or not it will hold.

When we leave the van we also always wind it in. Because we once found the awning of our T4 trashed when we got back to the camp site. This was in in Italy when a 30 degrees sunny week suddenly turned into a downpour while we were on a walk.

It's a little annoying to have to do it (sometimes multiple times a day) but it gives me peace of mind. So like others have said, too much wind or rain) is when you feel (or fear) it is.

Last edited:
Usually leave it rolled half way out, use a fiamma tiedown kit, both legs pegged down with plastic feet and the straps secured to marquee pegs (1ft long galv steel pegs hammered in with lumphammer). Its gotta be a propper storm to make me bring that in. The fiamme tie down kit needs a short climbing sling looped through the upper end of the awning legs to be secure.

We got our van in 2009 and use the awning a lot for sun shade and rain cover. This summer completely out of the blue in the New Forest it blew up vertically with a gust and broke the aluminium connectors. Cost I think £80 to replace. We have never used tie downs and so had 14 years before that bad luck event. I now have bought the Thule tie down kit and feel that would cover anything unless right by the coast. I pretty much always put away at night unless in a very sheltered pitch.

It’s a bit like sailing, if you think you need to reef the sails you probably should….

Since I leave the porta potti inside the awning it means : if windy no chance to use it :-(
this is my nightmare about wind

One little hint. Certainly wind in, if there's a really strong wind, but otherwise: when you wind out the awning, wind it back in just a small amount, and it stiffens the fabric, reducing the "flapping".

I always tie down and also occasionally peg the legs. I always slope for rain.

I had it up in very serious wind and it did get me very worried, but the hoedowns did their job.

These days we check the wind forecast and anything over 20 we put away.

Another concern is once it’s up and secured tightly and then wind gets up - it’s very hairy untethering it and putting it away.

I’ve never left it out and untethered - once why you would risk that!

I have to say that I have been camping in my T5 for 15 years, and left the awning out day-and-night every time. I must have experienced some high winds in all that time, but never had a problem.Two things I always do: peg down the legs of the awning with adjustable tent strings, and wind the awning back in slightly to to tighten the fabric.Oh - and lower one of the legs so the rain runs off it. Maybe I've just been lucky!

any thoughts?

Thanks.

View attachment 115111
We took Ruby out for our first overnight stay at the weekend at the Buxton site. Like you it rained every second. Like you we took the awning in when the wind got up to about 20mph. Great learning curve though. The warden said that there was a beautiful red Cali here about three weeks ago. I think he was probably referring to yours.

IMG_8162.jpeg

We took Ruby out for our first overnight stay at the weekend at the Buxton site. Like you it rained every second. Like you we took the awning in when the wind got up to about 20mph. Great learning curve though. The warden said that there was a beautiful red Cali here about three weeks ago. I think he was probably referring to yours.

View attachment 116102
Haha thanks!. We have been lucky since not too windy!