Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First night away - fantastic

M

muttley

Guest User
Picked up our California on Friday, and had our first night away on Saturday. It was great fun, and the only minor hiccup was a faulty VW gas valve which wouldn't screw down onto the gas bottle far enough to seal. Fortunately we drove past a caravan shop on the way and managed to pick up a replacement easily enough.

We were lucky to have such nice weather, so I will post a 'cliche shot' later of us parked up on the site with the awning out in the sunshine! It was a cold night, but my wife & kids all had thick sleeping bags & duvets and were as warm as toast. I braved it up in 'the tent' with just a summer sleeping bag, and that was a schoolboy error. I thought leaving the heating on low might make it too warm - I would be interested to hear if anyone uses that at night.

Can't wait for the next trip now. We're hooked.

Simon

Brilliant. We too went away at the weekend - Sat was stunning. Sun less so. We just managed to get the awning down and away before the heavens opened.

We never use the heating once we've gone to bed - get far too hot (although when it is cold we would have a Vanarak or more recently a Mutze which does make a massive difference).

Also used ours this weekend. Slept upstairs and it was cold Fri/Sat. There was a bit of a frost where we were. Sat/Sun we did leave a electric heater (safely) on by accident....woking up after an hour baking!! Rest of the night was a lot milder.

We did have a Kyham Camper Cosi on also.

Cracking glad you enjoed your first evenings stay.

It was glorious Sat down the Gower a nice 4hr bike ride and my legs are sore in work this morn!!

Californiaman what did you do with your old Vanarack?? :D

It's in my garage waiting for me to pull my finger out and flog it!

Cheers, Paul

Carrg is currently looking at courier options for collecting it - so he has first refusal. If he doesn't want it. I'll let you know.

I remember the excitement of our first family trip away in our old type 2 devon many years ago, so know how you must have been feeling!
Enjoy it!

oxfordt5 said:
I remember the excitement of our first family trip away in our old type 2 devon many years ago, so know how you must have been feeling!
Enjoy it!

Hi Colin,
I presume you are the same Colin from whom I nearly purchased a California sliding seat (before you decided to keep it for your own project)!? It will be very interesting to see how your 'custom' California turns out.

Simon