Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First major trip, Lacanau France

B

BenM

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have had our Cali almost a year now and this was the first trip that was more than an extended weekend. It was fantastic.
Overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen, arrives around 7. Went on probably the busiest Saturday of the year so once we were into the morning the traffic really picked up. Ended up being a 9 hour slog down to Lacanau, but at least we were there (was 6.5 hours on way back). Got a toll tag from Sanef and was definitely a useful thing to have as the queues at some of the tolls (Tours in particular) were very impressive.
The campsite was Grand Pins, Yelloh. Excellent for families, there were 4 families in a mix of tent, caravan, campervan and lodge. Worked very well. Great location for surf, beach, lake and town etc. We were on a spot that was traffic free so couldn't move for 2 weeks. Thought it would be an issue but all food/drink could be bought from local markets and supermarket on bikes so not a problem at all.
Our pitch was an odd shape (not square) so we could get the configuration we wanted so ended up with the Galli II awning as a tent so that it looked out the way we wanted, felt a big deal at the time but wasn't really at all.
Was amazed we got all the gear in and it really did not feel like a squeeze. Was prepared to take top box but we didn't and it was not necessary at all. On the way back, the inflatable SUPs that had been taken down in the caravan went in and still not a problem (although cool box departed, more below).
Some observations/questions:
1) Awning - Galli II compact low. We think is excellent. Found we had a burn hole in the roof, presumably a cinder from a BBQ previously but duct tape inside sorted it. We have used it for long weekends but it's bulky and takes some time, so agreed we will look at the walls for the wind out awning for shorter breaks.
2) Stove - got an outwell "kitchen" so that all dry foods, plates etc could be stored outside, was excellent as meant was all accessible. Stove was brilliant, campingaz new one with grill. Also had a Cadac safari, so need to work out a way of having them both plumbed into the same gas bottle. At moment have separate connectors but a bit of a faff to reach under the kitchen to unwind. We bought a spare 907 gas bottle to take with us for £62, only to find that we could refill at the campsite and the local supermarket sold for €60! I guess useful to have a spare for some future point.
3) Fridge. We decided to have the Cali fridge for food and an outdoor fridge for drink. We had an old electric cool box which served well. Split the electic at the hook up and used on of the 4-ways with a hook up end. Worked very well, except it was slightly exposed to rain so if it looked imminent we moved into the awning. Coolbox reached the end of its life so would welcome any suggestions. We saw some people with mini fridges, almost like a beer fridge for not much bigger volume.
4) Brush. We used an old outwell tent brush which was a bit undergunned! Imagine a dustpan and brush would be fine. I did a search and was expecting to find lots of telescopic brush handle options but they only seem to be for windowcleaners. We were in pine forest so sweeping needles off the bellows and awning would have been useful.
5) Seatcovers - from the website shop. Very expensive, but worth it for us. Lots of interest from our daughters friends in going up into "her room" so dusty feet on the seats etc.
6) Bike rack - bought the VW most recent one. Does a good job. Not a big fan of the body protectors that come with it as they are already moving around (only used twice) and don't look great. If I had my time again would definitely go towbar to have more options. Still did a job for taking 3 bikes down with ease.
7) Front blind - bought a black non-thermal wrap around from amazon for about £30. Did a great job at cutting out light and didn't seem to make the van hot during the day. For the last night dried it out and folded away and used the standard with no issues (although it let in noticeably more light).
8) Issues - Pleasantly surprised. When we packed up the lid of the gas storage space was stuck, it turned halfway but wouldn't fully open. That was actually where the spare was stored so would have been annoying if we needed the spare, so we left it and the journey home jolted free whatever was causing the issue. The electric side door made a few odd noises, but we did use it a lot so probably just some lube needed. We have had some issues with the roof going up and down, where messages pop up about doors being open etc, no big issues this time. Ipad holder. Our daughter watched some things on the way back and just balanced her ipad on the fridge/stove lid. Ended up falling over if the van was moving around. Seems best thing is to get a "sucker" holder that seem to normally be used for windscreens.

All in all, fantastic break. Didn't take things we didn't use which is a big plus. Can't wait to do it again.

Can't wait for the pictures....;)
Sounds like you had all bases covered and had a great time.

Messages when the roof first starts coming down is normal...

Sounds like a fabulous holiday :cool:

We were at Hourtin Plage (Just North of Lacanau) - great area for holiday with kids with both lake and beach. Will check out the site you mention as we'll probably be going back to the same area next year.

4) Brush. We used an old outwell tent brush which was a bit undergunned! Imagine a dustpan and brush would be fine. I did a search and was expecting to find lots of telescopic brush handle options but they only seem to be for windowcleaners. We were in pine forest so sweeping needles off the bellows and awning would have been useful.

Interesting point, which made me think...

I'd find it handy to have a couple of thingies on poles for the van. One: a squeegy for getting bugs/crud off the centre-top of the windscreen (I have to perch on the front wheels to reach that area by hand). And two: a brush on a pole for sweeping leaves etc out of the pop-top edge cavities etc, as Ben says.

I hate the idea of carrying around several different tools rather than one multi-purpose. So, what if someone made squeegy and brush attachments (etc) for the pole that most of us already have in the van, ie the awning crank handle?

It would need a fitting developed (3D printed?) to mate with the end of the crank pole.

I'd give someone a market for something like that!