Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First impressions from a Newbie

G

Geeteeeye

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hey folks,

Been looking through these forums the past few months during my campervan search and just back from my first test run and night in my '93 T4 California!

So thought I'd share a few first impressions of the experience!

We just decided to do a one nighter to get a feel for the experience and see what we would need to bring for a longer excursion in the future.

Firstly, the van itself is great - it's got more than a few km on the clock but all the major rust spots were treated and everything seems to work.

It definitely takes a bit of getting used to the space, the first cooking experience involved lots of moving the table back and forth as we tried to take out things we needed from the cupboards... Not to mention more than a few bumped heads!

Also, the spirit stove took some getting used to, it seemed to me to be quite fumey smelling? Am using bio-ethanol but even with windows open I found it to be quite strong. Have heard that adding some water helps a cleaner burn? Anyone have any experience with that?

Another issue we had was when we hooked up to power at the campsite - the display above the driver didn't seem to change to plug as I'd expected? However we were running the fridge all night and using lights etc & it didn't seem to affect the battery charge. Also, the sockets behind the driver seat were both working - I understood that these were only powered when operating from mains power? Is it possible that the mains could be working but the display just not showing it?

Overall, absolutely loved the experience. We traveled less than an hour from home but managed to travel up & down roads we'd never been on before. Its definitely all about the journey in these vans, no need to rush, just soak up the views! Planning the next trip already!

Welcome allong , always nice to see some pic's ;)

Good evening,

Welcome, may I wish you save journeys, free roads, beautiful weather and wonderful places to stay.

Regards,
Eberhard

Welcome!
Regarding the display, could be worth checking if the charging unit has been replaced with something that no longer connects it to the display unit (I only know of one such non-original unit that would still display the hook-up symbol)... But yes, if the 230v socket(s) are working when plugged in, then the power is flowing. Is the voltage of the leisure battery showing on the display? If it is and its rising then its safe to assume its charging on the hook-up...

Oh and the bumping of heads will stay for a while :confused:

Enjoy! :D

Plug icon showing on the display is a constant source of mystery. Sometimes it’s there, sometimes not.
On my ‘93 I couldn’t figure it out.

Good stuff though and welcome.

Pictures?

Thanks for the replies & the welcomes! Yeah, re the battery I didn't really get a chance to check what charge they were at before I plugged in so don't not if they went up if not.

The display tends to show around 14v when driving and between 12.3 to 12.7ish when parked. I don't know what effect the plug-in should have on the battery in terms of voltage (apart from increasing it I guess!?) Should it charge up to 14v? Apologies if that is a ridiculous question! My understanding of electrics is close to zero so imagine you are dealing with a small child if trying to explain!

As regards the stove, I think I will add some water to the ethanol to see if that creates a cleaner and less smelly burn. Failing that I've looked at a few portable gas burners that could sit on the drainage board. Not a perfect solution though & seems a shame not to use the fitted one!

Pics to follow :)

Nice looking van :thumb
:welcome

Reactions: Sad
Lead acid batteries require a constant voltage of about 14.4 volts DC to be applied to them to be charged. The current drawn by the battery from the charger will be high initially and then drop over time (to 1amp or less) when the battery has a full charge.

When the battery is not on charge the battery terminal voltage drops to 12 volts DC.

So, even if the battery is fully charged, the voltage displayed will be 14.4 volts when you are on hook up, assuming the charger is working properly. If the display shows 12v on hookup then the charger is not working.

You are seeing 14.4 volts when driving because the engine alternator is charging the leisure battery via the split charge relay. This indicates that the display is working, as is the alternator.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Lead acid batteries require a constant voltage of about 14.4 volts DC to be applied to them to be charged. The current drawn by the battery from the charger will be high initially and then drop over time (to 1amp or less) when the battery has a full charge.

When the battery is not on charge the battery terminal voltage drops to 12 volts DC.

So, even if the battery is fully charged, the voltage displayed will be 14.4 volts when you are on hook up, assuming the charger is working properly. If the display shows 12v on hookup then the charger is not working.

You are seeing 14.4 volts when driving because the engine alternator is charging the leisure battery via the split charge relay. This indicates that the display is working, as is the alternator.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Thanks Alan, that is very helpful. I'll have to do some investigating then. I guess at least the power is flowing as the sockets are working so I won't be overly using the battery when parked up. Hopefully will get to the bottom of it!

Have a look at the T4 section of the forum. I think there was a thread recently about replacement battery chargers for the Westfalia T4 California which may be helpful.

Alan

Welcome nice looking van! I was the same when first cooking. It's made me simplify everything and I now enjoy making quicker and easier meals with less ingredients/prep. More time to enjoy yourself and less washing up!