Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First couple of months…general questions

newboldi

newboldi

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all,
We’ve had the van for 2 months now and done a couple of weekends and a full week away. Generally loving the van and wish we’d taken the plunge years ago…I have a couple of niggles that are irritating and wondered if anyone had any ideas and also, a couple of “additions” I’d like and wondered if you lovely people have any advice???

Niggles: the wifi is not working at all/intermittently. I have tried all sorts and its showing as available but there’s no connectivity. I‘ve tried a range of devices, resets, cables, etc. with no success. What am I missing? Also, the sliding tables screws came out and the table ended up on the floor. On inspection they are tiny screws and a right PITA to fix. Has anyone had this and fixed it better than VW?

Additions: I am thinking of upgrading my 17” Devonports to 18” wheels with all season tyres. I love the Palmerston wheels but are so expensive so, thinking a set of Wolfrace ones. Any thoughts on that? And finally, I’d love a projector/screen for watching movies/tv on the pop top. I’m an Apple guy and want the simplest solution at a reasonable price. What are you using?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any help gratefully received.

Hi, congrats on the cali, looking forward to getting ours - hopefully for Christmas! I can't help with much, but will chip in on wheels. I'm prepared for the comeback on this, but I wouldn't put 18" on... we've got them on our car (Skoda Superb, appreciate the tyre size may be slightly different, and I can't check atm) - we hate then and end up weaving down the road dodging all the potholes. We've popped at least one tyre on a pothole (sometimes there's no avoiding) and the wheels have various dents in them from hitting holes. I'd keep as much rubber between you and the tarmac as possible.

Hi, congrats on the cali, looking forward to getting ours - hopefully for Christmas! I can't help with much, but will chip in on wheels. I'm prepared for the comeback on this, but I wouldn't put 18" on... we've got them on our car (Skoda Superb, appreciate the tyre size may be slightly different, and I can't check atm) - we hate then and end up weaving down the road dodging all the potholes. We've popped at least one tyre on a pothole (sometimes there's no avoiding) and the wheels have various dents in them from hitting holes. I'd keep as much rubber between you and the tarmac as possible.
Well…I take your point, I stupidly opted for 22” wheels on our Volvo when I bought it 18 months ago. Worst drive ever…I thought the 18” would be ok for the van???

I have 21" on the q7 and it rides fantastic. but that is because of air suspension, certainly not the wheels !
I wouldn't go for 18" on the cali mainly because I would lose the possibility of having a spare wheel, for me fundamental. 18" come also with wider tyres, so I will also lose performance and economy, not worth it for me personally.
For wifi I use a iPhone 5 SE as hotspot works flawlessly, reliably , always.
And you cannot put in the same sentence "Apple" and " reasonably priced".

I have 21" on the q7 and it rides fantastic. but that is because of air suspension, certainly not the wheels !
I wouldn't go for 18" on the cali mainly because I would lose the possibility of having a spare wheel, for me fundamental. 18" come also with wider tyres, so I will also lose performance and economy, not worth it for me personally.
For wifi I use a iPhone 5 SE as hotspot works flawlessly, reliably , always.
And you cannot put in the same sentence "Apple" and " reasonably priced".
Can I ask why fitting 18" wheels loses the possibility of a spare? I've got a full set of Cascavels including a spare and am getting my dream 18"s (Canberra) fitted this weekend as a swap. Will the 18" spare not fit underneath? Thanks for your advice!

18" is too big to fit underneath although I believe someone may have made one fit.
I use a steel 17" as a spare - treat it the same as a space saver, it has an almost identical rolling diameter as the 18" wheels on the van.
18" aid performance - I have Uniroyal Rainsport 5 tyres & the cornering particularly in the wet is much much better. Ditto pulling away when the roads are wet.
Having gone from 215 wide 17" to 255 wide 18" there is a slight drop in mpg in the new van, probably 2 mpg.
On our old 140SE a similar change made more like 5mpg difference at French motorway speeds ie 85ish MPH

Can I ask why fitting 18" wheels loses the possibility of a spare? I've got a full set of Cascavels including a spare and am getting my dream 18"s (Canberra) fitted this weekend as a swap. Will the 18" spare not fit underneath? Thanks for your advice!
as many cars use as a spare a smaller wheel, including my Q7 which uses an inflatable 18" 135mm wide spare tyre which in case of a flat will run along the other three 21" 285 wide, the question is: why can't you use a regular 17" with 215/60 or 235/55 tyres as a spare for the mounted 18" so it will fit in the carrier?
Why wouldn't VW wanted to sell you that?
I am afraid I still don't have an answer, but from the many threads, rumors, other vehicle similarities, I think it has to do with the differential, risk of damaging it. But if you have FWD you could just put the spare at the back. VW still says no... so not sure why.

When I asked my VW dealer about spare wheel with 18" alloys on a 4motion, he told me that he regularly sells steel 17" spare + carrier kit once California is delivered.
VW just don't want to sell it new with a spare wheel of another dimension.

18" is too big to fit underneath although I believe someone may have made one fit.
I use a steel 17" as a spare - treat it the same as a space saver, it has an almost identical rolling diameter as the 18" wheels on the van.
18" aid performance - I have Uniroyal Rainsport 5 tyres & the cornering particularly in the wet is much much better. Ditto pulling away when the roads are wet.
Having gone from 215 wide 17" to 255 wide 18" there is a slight drop in mpg in the new van, probably 2 mpg.
On our old 140SE a similar change made more like 5mpg difference at French motorway speeds ie 85ish MPH
I think the issue with the spare is not the diameter of the wheel but the extra width of tyre that is fitted to bigger wheels.

as many cars use as a spare a smaller wheel, including my Q7 which uses an inflatable 18" 135mm wide spare tyre which in case of a flat will run along the other three 21" 285 wide, the question is: why can't you use a regular 17" with 215/60 or 235/55 tyres as a spare for the mounted 18" so it will fit in the carrier?
Why wouldn't VW wanted to sell you that?
I am afraid I still don't have an answer, but from the many threads, rumors, other vehicle similarities, I think it has to do with the differential, risk of damaging it. But if you have FWD you could just put the spare at the back. VW still says no... so not sure why.
Thanks! 18s now fitted. Toying with the idea of losing the extra weight of the spare and switching to a compressor/ sealant kit as I have 4WD and obvs want to avoid doing any damage. Plus me changing a flat on a 3 tonner is never going to happen anyway!

Back