Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First California

E

Edinburgh-john

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All,
Just bought our first California, 2010 SE model, though no stranger to VW campers, had a '69 type 2 bay window for 28 years, then a T4 Autosleeper Topaz and both were used extensively for European holidays. Great vans but the California is in a different league. Not many around here in Edinburgh and I had to travel to Liverpool to buy this one. Only one fault is a leaking fresh water tank which drips and eventually empties.
regards, John

A warm welcome from Belgium , actually today more a wet welcome from Belgium!

Welcome John,

Are you OK with having the Union Flag on your Avatar ?
A water leak on your tank, don't recall hearing that before !

Welcome John. Hope you enjoy your Cali-venture!

Welcome John. Great to have a real VW camper veteran on the forum and I'm sure we can learn from you!!

Welcome John,
You must have had many lovely adventures with your vans over the years and now you are changing to a Cali. If you wouldn't mind it would be interesting to hear your comparisons and first impressions. We are new to camper vans so have no experience of any other vans.
Any chance of some pics of your new pride and joy?

Hi John, welcome aboard ! You've just missed our meet up at Fort William ... maybe next time.

There are actually lots of Calis around but most people aren't active on this Forum. Those of us who meet up from time to time come from Midlothian, Glasgow, Perthshire, Fife, Angus and Aberdeen, so pretty well spread out.

Thanks for all your friendly replies ! Hoping to make good use of this forum and will try and download some pics eventually ! First impressions of the Cali are good and it reminds us of our T2 bay window Westfalia with similar lifestyle ideology and features such as the elevating roof, cool box and hob with no grill ! VW have captured the original camper ethos and although the modern one is quite sophisticated, it is also quite simple and basic at the same time, almost retro if that makes sense!. Must sort out the leaking fresh water tank though - seems to be the drain valve but it looks pretty inaccessible - anyone had this issue or know how to access the bottom of the tank?

Good morning John....great to hear your thoughts about the new California compared to the previous ..I have a similar issue to you with regards to the rear fresh water tank leaking. It would appear that there is a valve under the kitchen area which may need replacing, is what I have been told by my local dealer. This would mean the removal of all the units ..wardrobe and kitchen..It would appear that it is not closing properly. I am trying to find other options as I do not want a complete removal of the fixtures...I am sure I read on the forum that VW had been contacted by another forum member via their dealer and the problem had been resolved without taking the kitchen out. I cannot find it now for some reason. Let's keep in touch and update how we get on. Was in Edinburgh couple of weeks ago with our Cali stayed at the Caravan Club. Great City ...

hi and thanks for yr email. Managed to fix the dripping fresh water tank without dismantling anything - just by careful manipulation of the drain valve lever which is on top of the tank in the rear cupboard, this connects to a ball valve on the bottom of the tank which i assume was stuck a fraction open, anyway maybe just luck but sorted now ! Recently back from touring France over 3 weeks, as far south as Cannes, great time and of course the van went well - we were glad of the aircon ! regards, John

Welcome. dripping water tank glad you fixed it mine leaked from day one took a little bit off of the valve handle so it would shut properly .

Hello John and Jeff. Really glad that you sorted the issue John without the ripping out of the wardrobe and kitchen. Good to hear what you did Jeff thanks. I am sure I read something similar to this before on the forum but havn't been able to find it since, where someone had filed the metal limiter on the drain handle on top of the water container in the rear, thereby allowing the handle to move further, sealing the tank. I think this may be the answer.

I am sure I read something similar to this before on the forum but havn't been able to find it since, where someone had filed the metal limiter on the drain handle on top of the water container in the rear, thereby allowing the handle to move further, sealing the tank. I think this may be the answer.
That sorted it on mine. Didn't fancy having it all taken apart .