Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Filling with drinking water

V

Vanessa

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I am thinking about the normal arrangement when we are out and about for refilling with fresh drinking water. Is a hose normally available at a UK campsite for filling? Or do we need to have our own hose? If our own, what sort of connector do we need to connect to the tap? Any recommendations on what length of hose is ideal?

I am thinking about the normal arrangement when we are out and about for refilling with fresh drinking water. Is a hose normally available at a UK campsite for filling? Or do we need to have our own hose? If our own, what sort of connector do we need to connect to the tap? Any recommendations on what length of hose is ideal?
Either use a container, Brandrup do one, or use a hose and some form of multi adapter. There is no standard fitting so be prepared in case it doesn’t fit and you will probably have to move the vehicle to the tap.

I just use a Brandrup container.

There are cheaper ones in the Forum Shop.

2m clear hose for us with threaded tap connector and hozelock style connector, just be careful to keep your hose/bucket away from the floor and waste water areas.

I have a shortish length of drinking quality hose about 10 m long, standard connectors are common most places, we have used this system for many years here and overseas in the van and boat without any issues. Make sure the ends never contact floor or any possibly contaminated areas and run water for a while before pouring into the tank.

I have a shortish length of drinking quality hose about 10 m long, standard connectors are common most places, we have used this system for many years here and overseas in the van and boat without any issues. Make sure the ends never contact floor or any possibly contaminated areas and run water for a while before pouring into the tank.
That’s wasting a lot of water each fill up.

After reading horror tails of people cleaning their loo’s out with onsite hoses we bought one of these and hope it’ll push onto the tap.
W4 Fill Up Camping Water Hose (5 Metres) (Blue) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0I3R40/?tag=eliteelect-21
Not sure you need 5m, so cut to required length.
If not, then the kids will have a new game to play for the evening! Not used in anger yet.

We have a clear hose and a flexible rubber connector, of the type you used to get on shower attachments for taps. Having said that we have never used it. Preference is a funnel and container even if it means buying a 5 litre bottle of water from the supermarket and re-using it to fill up. Also saves the hassle of manoeuvring to get close enough to the drinking water tap.

I've got 2. 1 I bought as above for filling up using a funnel or water bottle. The other I made with bits from b and q. Standard tap brass screw on thread and a length of hose. I fasten the o ring on with a twist tie to not loose it. The made up one is best used before parking at your pitch. I always remove the site hose and use my own as others say some rinse out toilet cassettes at fresh water point

Last edited:
Pic of my pipesIMG_20190408_205609.jpg

We have a clear hose and a flexible rubber connector, of the type you used to get on shower attachments for taps. Having said that we have never used it. Preference is a funnel and container even if it means buying a 5 litre bottle of water from the supermarket and re-using it to fill up. Also saves the hassle of manoeuvring to get close enough to the drinking water tap.

Yep... Tend to adopt the same approach. Works well for us.

We don't drink the tap water but keep two 2 litre squash bottles to fill fresh each day . We top up the tank with a 5 litre container that has it's own pourer but a cheap funnel works well

Although we have a blue food quality hose with our own connectors onboard, we actually only drink and cook with the tank water once it has been boiled (i.e. in tea or coffee) and buy bottled water or wine to drink when ever we are away from home.

Alan

The main point with any water container is=
1. Sterilise the container and fill with sterile water. Difficult to do in practice as everything that comes in contact with the water should be sterile and that presumes the water is sterile to begin with.

2. Keep Tank clean and sterilise the water in it. This is my philosophy and has worked for the past 40 + years. Keep Tank clean and filler system and add the recommended amount of Katadyn Micropur Sterilizer. We cook, wash and drink the tank water. Fill water bottles and chill them in the fridge.
Doesn’t matter what the campsite water tap has been used for Katadyn sorts it.

Have had more upsets from a hot curry or rough red wine. From the Tank water, never a problem.
Even confirmed it by having water samples bacteriologically tested. Always sterile.

We already had one of those collapsible drinking water camping containers so I just bought this hose adapter thing (link below) to help pour the water from the container into the van. You do need 2 of you to get it into a position where it pours easily without spilling but at £6 was considerably cheaper than the Brandrup solution and means you don’t have to worry about hoses others have used https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000ZJ5ZOW/?tag=eliteelect-21

This is my way of filling the fresh water tank;
  1. A plastic slider and one of the velcro strips from the emergency roof tie down kit.
  2. A length of cord.
  3. A £1.40 plastic funnel with an eye hole on the rim and a short piece of wide plastic tubing to fit the end.
I then fill from a 10L concertina type collapsible water container which I keep inside one of the folded picnic seats in the rear door; the funnel contraption is stored in the drawer under the rear seat inside a plastic shopping bag. Adjust the height by changing the length of the cord and plastic tubing in case you're not 6ft tall like me. I don't go to any gym so lifting a few litres of water to chest height occasionally helps my core strength but just fill the container to whatever feels comfortable...
Stew

IMG_20190414_105122191[1].jpg

This is my way of filling the fresh water tank;
  1. A plastic slider and one of the velcro strips from the emergency roof tie down kit.
  2. A length of cord.
  3. A £1.40 plastic funnel with an eye hole on the rim and a short piece of wide plastic tubing to fit the end.
I then fill from a 10L concertina type collapsible water container which I keep inside one of the folded picnic seats in the rear door; the funnel contraption is stored in the drawer under the rear seat inside a plastic shopping bag. Adjust the height by changing the length of the cord and plastic tubing in case you're not 6ft tall like me. I don't go to any gym so lifting a few litres of water to chest height occasionally helps my core strength but just fill the container to whatever feels comfortable...
Stew

View attachment 43468
Plan!

Hard to believe it’s now 4 years since Hosegate!
:D

Edit: I think everyone survived .....

Last edited:
Still surviving after 11 years using garden hose.

Many thanks to everyone - I can now work out a system.

Back