Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ferry to Bilbao

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are thinking of catching the ferry to Bilbao in mid October returning 10 days later. From there we are open to where to go. At that time of year what might be some suggestions, swing left and go down the Spanish coast towards Portugal or north up in Bordeaux (we know that quite well so not so keen on that) or go inland across Spain to the Med. Also will the campsites be open in Spain at that time of year and if not what are the other options

We are thinking of catching the ferry to Bilbao in mid October returning 10 days later. From there we are open to where to go. At that time of year what might be some suggestions, swing left and go down the Spanish coast towards Portugal or north up in Bordeaux (we know that quite well so not so keen on that) or go inland across Spain to the Med. Also will the campsites be open in Spain at that time of year and if not what are the other options
Northern Spain is lovely. I’d be tempted to go along the northern coast, maybe come back a little inland and take in the mountains (or vice versa).

Many coastal sites I use will close in Oct. There is a long weekend around the 6th or 8th and they close after that til Easter. In the Pyrenees though, sites stay open for the cross-country skiing season.

I'm in San Sebastian but we stay up and down the coast between Asturias and Arcachon/Bordeaux most of the year, or Pyrenees down to Girona, so if you have a route idea, let me know if I can help with sites.

October is a wonderful time in the Picos de Europe, anywhere between there and Santiago do Compostella. Campsites are a challenge at that time with many closing. We booked everything before we went, we've been twice often getting the next to last ferry back from Santander.
The coast is wonderful, the mountains fabulous and the food delicious!
It's true Spain, I rang to confirm one campsite the day before but when we arrived, they had closed for the season, presumably as it had snowed a little!
Spain seem very behind with vaccinations, I know of 80 year olds who have not been vaccinated. Who knows what the covid situation will be. You pays your money and take a chance with that one!

Last edited:
A friend of mine manages a campsite in France. He normally heads over at the start of May for the season.
I spoke to him yesterday and at present he’s unsure when he will go out as Europe is so far behind with their vacation programme.
Hopefully October will be fine, but who knows what’s around the corner next...

Thanks for all the advice, if the campsites are closed are there any other options in Spain, can you would camp as you can in Portugal and aires etc

Sorry wild camp

Plenty of wild options on park4night along the coast towards us, many of which I have used, although the more you can research on your route before you leave, the better. There’s no ‘free’ roaming now so without wifi you’re paying for the data.

what makes you say no free roaming charges? my plan with Vodafone has not change, free roam away.

Many coastal sites I use will close in Oct. There is a long weekend around the 6th or 8th and they close after that til Easter. In the Pyrenees though, sites stay open for the cross-country skiing season.

I'm in San Sebastian but we stay up and down the coast between Asturias and Arcachon/Bordeaux most of the year, or Pyrenees down to Girona, so if you have a route idea, let me know if I can help with sites.
Thank you so much for your kind offer to help, we will decide which route and get back

what makes you say no free roaming charges? my plan with Vodafone has not change, free roam away.
Maybe it’s just from this end. It was actually the VW salesman that mentioned it on Saturday, I was looking at calis and asked about whatever option it was that used a data connection in the car. He said beware of roaming charges if you drive to the uk, which I do at least once a year.

Vodafone has changed their T&Cs
From 18 January 2021, if you use your phone abroad in any of your plan’s inclusive roaming destinations for 62 or more days in a four month period, and your usage in those destinations is more than your usage in the UK we’ll send you a warning email or text to let you know when this happens.​

Maybe it’s just from this end. It was actually the VW salesman that mentioned it on Saturday, I was looking at calis and asked about whatever option it was that used a data connection in the car. He said beware of roaming charges if you drive to the uk, which I do at least once a year.
In UK Roaming with my Spanish SIM card, text I get when I connect says "El precio para hablar, navegar y SMS en UE es el mismo que el nacional" I have used data and made a call to Spain and have not been charged so it is exactly the same as if I was in Spain. Maybe a data connection in a van will be different it may depend on your contract.

Hopefully it stays like that @Barbara !
No idea how those car systems work unfortunately, I didn't ask any more about it as I'm not going for that option.

We like to use the 2 night crossing as it gives you all day to get to Portsmouth and you arrive in Spain at 8am. BIlbao is busy at that time and roads a little complex suggest you study maps well before you arrive. Must sees are the Vizcaya Bridge which is a transporter bridge that links the towns of Portugalete and Las Arenas (part of Getxo) and Bilbao itself for Guggenheim Museum and a Funicular.

If heading in direction of Portugal you may wish to visit Salamanca on route. I have only stayed in a hotel there but have chatted to people who were staying in a campsite.

We had plans to be on the ferry next week but that is not possible, maybe later this year.