Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Feedback on Beach purchase please

W

Winston Rumfoord

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hello, l‘ve configured a beach camper and looking for any feedback/challenges on what I’ve chosen - any no brainers missed or any options added that aren’t worth it.

We are family of four (kids aged 4 + 1) and the beach will be used for:
- a few one or two week overseas trip per year
- many shorts stays around the uk all seasons
- monthly long distance journeys to see family
- IKEA, bikes, day trips, etc
Plan is to then have a small car for day to day and short journeys.
I hope we’ll have the van for many many years.

Options I have:
- LED lights. I though these were must haves but wavering after reading that standard H7 bulbs are not that bad and potential LED repair costs. But I do expect to do a lot of night driving and my night eyesight is poor...
- Light & vision package. Feels relatively low cost
- 3 seater bench. Must have for us.
- heated, folding mirrors. Again feels relatively low cost and might help protect from knocks.
- panorama window. Suspect would regret if didn’t add.
- parking sensors. I’ve become too reliant on these from other vehicles.
- rear view camper. As above.
- bed extension and comfort mat. I guess we’ll want the extension although reading comments on here I could take or leave the comfort mat and get a third party one instead.
- climatronic. Must have for long journeys and people in back?
- sliding window on driver‘s side
- interior light comfort concept
- 80l fuel tank. Why not?
- front fog lights. Like to have these from using other vehicles.
- dark tinted and heat insulating glass
- 4 keys. Assuming its cheaper to get two extra now than later?
- programmable heater
- mud flaps - is this silly and should just get some aftermarket ones if needed?
- spare tyre as the consensus seems to be that this is preferable to the mobility kit.

Other questions (having searched on the forum) but want to double check:
- am I right to assume that the standard composition radio will support CarPlay (wired?) ’out of the box’?
- I am really struggling to come to a conclusion on tyre options. All season, low rolling 235/55 or all weather 215/60. I think comfort, longevity, all season use are more important to me than noise.
- also struggling with the uprated battery option. having read other posts I still don’t understand whether this will give more leisure battery capacity or whether it’s for a more resilient engine start. Sorry!?

Thank you for any and all opinions and help,
W

All season, low rolling 235/55 or all weather 215/60. I think comfort, longevity, all season use are more important to me than noise.
235s run at much lower pressure and soak up the bumps much better than the 215s so I'd go 235s for all season use, saving the 215 size for proper winter tyres and chains.

I’ll kick off with a couple of thoughts:
Led lights. Had both H7 and LEDs. Expensive but love the leds, difference is night and day, wouldn’t even consider H4.
Parking sensors and camera. Both really good, definite yes for me on vehicle of this size. Camera especially good with young kids.
Bed extension and comfort mat. Don’t think there is a bed extension with this? Just listed as comfort mat in brochure. In which case don’t bother, after market much better.
4 keys. I don’t get this. Never had more than 2 keys for any vehicle of mine, and never used more than 1 of them. If I lose 1 I’m going to replace/reprogrammed the others anyway. May be cheaper to buy now than later but why do you need more than 2?
Mudflaps. Have had them on both my Calis, and ordered on the next one. For me they look good and help stop stuff going up side of van. After market and even dealer fit VW require drilling and don’t look as good imho. Get factory fit.
Hope that helps, sounds like a great van. Kids will love it. Enjoy.

On the tyre, absolutely agree with 2in1.

Hello, l‘ve configured a beach camper and looking for any feedback/challenges on what I’ve chosen - any no brainers missed or any options added that aren’t worth it.

Options I have:
- LED lights. I though these were must haves but wavering after reading that standard H7 bulbs are not that bad and potential LED repair costs. But I do expect to do a lot of night driving and my night eyesight is poor...
- heated, folding mirrors. Again feels relatively low cost and might help protect from knocks.
- bed extension and comfort mat. I guess we’ll want the extension although reading comments on here I could take or leave the comfort mat and get a third party one instead.
- programmable heater
- mud flaps - is this silly and should just get some aftermarket ones if needed?
- spare tyre as the consensus seems to be that this is preferable to the mobility kit.

- am I right to assume that the standard composition radio will support CarPlay (wired?) ’out of the box’?
- I am really struggling to come to a conclusion on tyre options. All season, low rolling 235/55 or all weather 215/60. I think comfort, longevity, all season use are more important to me than noise.
- also struggling with the uprated battery option. having read other posts I still don’t understand whether this will give more leisure battery capacity or whether it’s for a more resilient engine start. Sorry!?

W
Is the model you have chosen with twin sliding doors? If so please check carefully what it will be registered as with DVLA. That model, so I understand, is classed as a Diesel Car Body Type MPV and taxed on CO2 emissions and because it costs over £40,000 is classed as a luxury vehicle with a significant increase in 1st Registration costs and also subject to the Luxury Car Tax of £325/yr for the first 5 years, unlike the Beach model with the flip up kitchen and 1 sliding door which is registered as a Private Light Goods vehicle, Body Type Motorcaravan and taxed at £270/yr.

Thanks everyome for quick replies already
hi Welshgas, we want the camper (one sliding door + slide out hob) but have optioned the 3 seat bench with it. So assumption is that it’s a motorcaravan but will make sure to double double check.

Similar spec to what I am looking at.
Only without the tinted glass as I prefer a darker limo tint which I can do after.
You don’t mention heated seats - which I think are worthwhile.
I’m still not clear what the light & vision pack is ?
Also not clear what the interior light comfort option is ?
The costs quickly rack up...

Hiya

We went for a Beach for the same reasons - versatility. We are a family of four (boy aged 8 and 6) and two young terriers. This is our second Beach and both were bought secondhand. I must confess, I wish I had bought when our first was born rather than splashing money at a series of cars, albeit nice cars. Reassuringly, the depreciation on a Cali is significantly more palatable!!!

It will be our main family car, especially as the dogs go everywhere with us! We also bought a nearly new Mini as a runaround. You haven't said whether you are going for DSG or manual and that ought to be considered given what you are using it for. We chose the DSG 150.

Your options:

- LED lights - definitely!
- Light & vision package - why not!
- 3 seater bench - definitely!
- heated, folding mirrors - definitely!
- panorama window - I must confess, I don't even know what that is!
- parking sensors - yes
- rear view camera - yes
- bed extension and comfort mat - if this is the "bench" type thing behind the bench seat, I would say yes. However, we do use a low-profile lilo on ours (10 cm thick) which makes the seat bed very comfortable.
- climatronic - yes, you'll regret it if you don't.
- sliding window on driver‘s side - I don't think you'd use it often to be honest.
- interior light comfort concept - I can't remember if these are the ones that introduce lights in the pop-top. If so, definitely!
- 80l fuel tank - definitely and it is cheaper to do it now!
- front fog lights - they do look nicer with, but there are many aftermarket compatible options available
- dark tinted and heat insulating glass - you might want to check with your dealer on this. I was going to suggest that you add heated windscreen.
- 4 keys - no! Two is fine, believe me!
- programmable heater - definitely!
- mud flaps - at the risk of being contentious, no! Not if they are the ones where the rear mud flaps are further back on the rear bumper. There are aftermarket mud flaps that are better.
- spare tyre - definitely
- radio - double check that what is offered will support CapPlay
- wheels - wheel size is the consideration not the tyre. I would suggest 17" or 18". I would be even bolder and accept the steel wheels rather than paying dealer prices for alloys. (You'd be surprised how many dealer alloys are available practically brandnew as the first thing to be changed on a Transporter is wheels!
- tyres - 235/55 all season. And, if you change your wheels, you have a lovely set of steel wheels to host winter tyres!
- battery upgrade - I would need convincing on this one!

more options:
- engine size and gearbox
- heated seats
- heated windscreen (check with dealer regarding tint/privacy glass)
- towbar, or at least the tow-bar preparation
- auto-dimming mirror with rain sensor
- dealer's super-duper paint protection (it's all the same, just given an impressive name) - perhaps, depending on what's he's charging. I would suggest a chat instead with your local body repair shop and enquire about the cost of a lacquer coat on a newly-delivered van. You might be very pleasantly surprised! They'll love it as the only prep is to remove the delivery polish before masking up and spraying.
- dealer's super-duper fabric protection (again, wonderful branding and marketing ....that may even involve a casually raised eyebrow in the general direction of your kids!) - absolutely not. This is something you can definitely do yourself for significantly less (under £50, even if you went overboard!) with the added advantage of knowing it was done properly.

I am assuming you are having a wind-out awning and bike rack, but not everyone does.

I would also suggest that your dealer confirms the size of antiroll bar (ARB) that will be on the vehicle. You have a roof and all that glass above the "waistline" of the van which affects handling. You ought to have an appropriate ARB, not the light one that come on the lightest transporter. I am not suggesting you pay to upgrade it, but negotiate it into your requirements so that if your van comes with a 22mm ARB, you aren't paying to upgrade it afterwards. If comfort is important, the ARB is. It's fine to drive an armchair on straight roads but it's not so good if you are forced out of that seat negotiating a simple roundabout! We upgraded ours and now enjoy car-like driving.

I hope the above is of help.

Regards,

JOG

If you ask ten Beach owners what they want you will get ten different answers.

We bought our Beach nearly four years ago with similar aged boys, and a similar specification.

I think that H7s are now standard on the Beach. No need to upgrade to LEDs. We don’t have the upgraded fog lights, and have not missed them.

You should definitely have the sleeping mattress. We didn’t, using instead a cheap Ikea topper, and have since bought 2nd hand.

Consider extra seats. With two boys we often have friends and family in the van so the option of carrying 6/7 people is very handy.

Add the tow bar - it will give you many more options for bikes and future proofing. We thought long and hard about if we were going to the get VW bike rack for the boot lid or get a tow bar + bike rack and did the latter. Allows you to still get in the boot when you have bikes with you. Lower on the van so easier to load / unload. Gives more options for storage too with the tow bar bags you can get etc. Not to mention a trailer if needed.

One other thought - are you going to use seat covers? If not, I’d suggest getting the ArtVelours interior as it is VERY easy to keep clean and very hard wearing. Also looks super-nice in two-tone that they do on the beach.

The uprated starter battery comes from the transporter vans, the idea being for those drivers who do multi-drop town/city driving using alot of start/stop. It's on a cali Chris video (talking about Coast options).
It doesn't sound like you'll need this...

Add the tow bar - it will give you many more options for bikes and future proofing. We thought long and hard about if we were going to the get VW bike rack for the boot lid or get a tow bar + bike rack and did the latter. Allows you to still get in the boot when you have bikes with you. Lower on the van so easier to load / unload. Gives more options for storage too with the tow bar bags you can get etc. Not to mention a trailer if needed.

One other thought - are you going to use seat covers? If not, I’d suggest getting the ArtVelours interior as it is VERY easy to keep clean and very hard wearing. Also looks super-nice in two-tone that they do on the beach.
But remember that if using a lower bike rack the rear sensors and rear view camera are useless.

Of course, you still need to remember you have a bike rack in use when reversing with a higher bike rack in use. If you have a tow bar bike rack you'll be reminded by the lack of camera and parking sensors.

But remember that if using a lower bike rack the rear sensors and rear view camera are useless.

Of course, you still need to remember you have a bike rack in use when reversing with a higher bike rack in use. If you have a tow bar bike rack you'll be reminded by the lack of camera and parking sensors.
Slightly incorrect. When the Towbar rack is plugged in the Parking Sensors are disabled, but not the Camera. Provided you don't have a bike cover on it is surprising how much you can see. The camera display also shows a side icon of a trailer to warn you that something is on the back. With experience you can judge distances quit well with the compromised camera view.

The H7s are very good. The LEDs are brilliant.

The Comfort mattress is IMO a must have because the underside is contoured to mirror the undulations in the three seat bench. Miss it off your list at your peril! It is quite hard so isn't, as the name implies, comfortable but it does provide a perfectly flat base onto which you can build your perfect bed.

Go for all seasons 235s as the ride is much better.

IMO the front fog lights aren't worth bothering with. I have them and they don't improve vision by that much to make them worthwhile.

The rest of your list is spot on.

I'd suggest considering ordering extra seats subject to your long term needs ( trips with grandparents, school friends etc), however I see that you can only order one at present although that may change. They are very useful at times but you will have to consider where you can keep them when not in the van. You can pick them up at a cheaper cost in the For Sale section from time to time although the upholstery may be different.

Last edited:
Similar spec to what I am looking at.
Only without the tinted glass as I prefer a darker limo tint which I can do after.
You don’t mention heated seats - which I think are worthwhile.
I’m still not clear what the light & vision pack is ?
Also not clear what the interior light comfort option is ?
The costs quickly rack up...

Would be interesting to compare notes at me point. Yes on costs, I keep thinking well i am probably already spending x so might as well add... slippery slope.

Lights & Vision package. Includes automatic headlights with separate daytime running lights, Leaving Home feature and manual Coming Home feature, break-away auto-dimming rear-view interior mirror and windscreen wiper with intermittent control with rain sensor.

Interior light concept for Camper ‘Comfort’ in passenger compartment. Includes additional LED lighting in the pop-up roof for the loft bed, the kitchenette (Coast models only) and in the tailgate.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.

Now I just need to make sure I’m comfortable with the discussion I keep having in my head... base spec few year old beach for £40-45k Vs. all my musts and shoulds with the benefits of new for an assumed ~£60k.

i think i am still concluding new but need to run a few more times!

Would be interesting to compare notes at me point. Yes on costs, I keep thinking well i am probably already spending x so might as well add... slippery slope.

Lights & Vision package. Includes automatic headlights with separate daytime running lights, Leaving Home feature and manual Coming Home feature, break-away auto-dimming rear-view interior mirror and windscreen wiper with intermittent control with rain sensor.

Interior light concept for Camper ‘Comfort’ in passenger compartment. Includes additional LED lighting in the pop-up roof for the loft bed, the kitchenette (Coast models only) and in the tailgate.
Lights and vision is standard on the UK Coast, and IMHO if you've never had the "interior light concept" you'll likely not miss it - take a torch to search the boot, and wear a head torch if you want to read in the roof.

With kids I'd say the interior light concept is essential so that they can easily read up there. Ours dim it and leave it on all night as a night light

I’ve currently got a Beach but I’m going round in circles on a new Beach order myself:

In regards to your suggestions:

Sliding side window, Yes, extra ventilation in rear cabin during hot nights.

Comfort Mattress.100%. Levels out tge uneven 3 sear bench. Also, these are £600 after from the parts department. You can easily sell it on here for more than factory price.

I don’t miss the Comfort LED lighting (had it in my first Beach) but as it’s “only” £300, I may add it.

Panoramic Roof. 100%. We’ve been to some lovely places that a view from upstairs would of been nice.

4 Keys. Not bothered. As my other half doesn’t drive the Cali, Only ever used 1 key.

LED headlights not essential but are great and also improves front end look.

Fogs as above, won’t get used but improves front end look.

Car Play is included as standard.

Without interior light concept, does the Beach not still come with the flexible reading light upstairs?

Ie. the one that comes on the Coast without interior light concept

Without interior light concept, does the Beach not still come with the flexible reading light upstairs?

Ie. the one that comes on the Coast without interior light concept
Yeah it should do
I find a £3 LED torch that hangs from the rail or pull down strap has served us fine in our current Beach for the last 3 summer holidays.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
My Current Spec:
Beach Camper
Met Silver or Indium
Options my current Beach has:
3 Seat Bench
Front Fogs
LED Headlights
Rear Cam
Climatronic
Privacy
Options I don’t have on my current Beach but would definitely add:
Parking Heater
Sliding side window
Panoramic Canvas
18” Teresina
Heated Seats
Comfort Mattress

I currently have lights and vision and Parking sensors but don’t think I’ll miss these.

A couple of items that put me off:
I would like the Art Velours fabric as I’m not sure of the Palladium Mixed Dots. It doesn’t look like it’s available on the BC.

The builders van dash. I Currently have the Comfort Dash so I am slightly concerned that I will be disappointed with the 6.1 dash

Last edited:

Options I have:
- programmable heater

W
When we choose our Beach T5 we added all these items and never regretted any decision
Not sure what the options are now but when we chose the Sat Nav DVD system we had to have xenon headlights although at the time we thought it an expensive option
The xenon headlights were superb for driving at night and would choose them again given the chance
Good luck with your purchase
We had our Van 5 years and enjoyed every minute with it
Ps the kids loved lying in top bed watching the DVD

Brilliant. I now understand why ‘lights and vision’ were included as I asked for auto wipers.
I have also now added the interior lights as loved them on the Ocean and didn’t realise they weren’t standard on the Beach.
Again, this just proves the power of this forum. Thank you!

Well each to their own...do see my “buying a Beach 6.1 was a mistake” post in case there are any pointers, it also has the prefect spec Coast that’s on order now with no LED’s no navpro no wheel options...

Reactions: Sad
Well each to their own...do see my “buying a Beach 6.1 was a mistake” post in case there are any pointers, it also has the prefect spec Coast that’s on order now with no LED’s no navpro no wheel options...
"The perfect spec" is very much a personal thing, as is the perfect Cali model. You are going from Beach to Coast after discovering that the Beach doesn't suit you. I went from SE to Beach after owning both at the same time. I found the SE/Ocean/Coast format too compromised for my liking and lacking the versatility of the Beach. I found that whilst you could do everything in a Beach that could be done in the SE that certainly wasn't the case the other way round. So it's very much a personal thing.

I hope your new Coast proves more suitable.

Back