Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Faulty Fridge - Do Not Worry

Thank you!

So does that mean you believe the sensor is working ok?

Maybe the problem could be with this module:

I’m not sure what it is or does?

Thanks again for your help
Yes, I think it is the switching box that is likely the issue

So from what I can determine it is a switching box (Transistors and resistors) that not only switches the Fridge controller on (Red wire from Van side) it also switches in a resistor between C & T that sets the fan speed (I think) and it has some other resistors in there that I think set the voltage thresholds for operation. I would open it carefully and see if it has a dry joint.

The first vans just had a standard relay in the place of this. Relay driven by the 12v from the Control Panel, earth to body and then the relay connected T to P&C (Spliced together) when the relay was switched on

Yes, I think it is the switching box that is likely the issue

So from what I can determine it is a switching box (Transistors and resistors) that not only switches the Fridge controller on (Red wire from Van side) it also switches in a resistor between C & T that sets the fan speed (I think) and it has some other resistors in there that I think set the voltage thresholds for operation. I would open it carefully and see if it has a dry joint.

The first vans just had a standard relay in the place of this. Relay driven by the 12v from the Control Panel, earth to body and then the relay connected T to P&C (Spliced together) when the relay was switched on
I would contact https://penguinfrigo.co.uk about getting a replacement black box.

If you do replace it, could you please open up your old one and take a detailed photo, it is one part that i don't really understand the resistor values and thus what exactly it is setting fan speed wise.

I suspect the Fridge consumes less power overall and protect the batteries with this box, as it probably slows the fan down and stops the fridge at lower voltages.

A

I would contact https://penguinfrigo.co.uk about getting a replacement black box.

If you do replace it, could you please open up your old one and take a detailed photo, it is one part that i don't really understand the resistor values and thus what exactly it is setting fan speed wise.

I suspect the Fridge consumes less power overall and protect the batteries with this box, as it probably slows the fan down and stops the fridge at lower voltages.

A

Thanks again

I’ve found the VW part number for the relay which is

7H7951253

It’s around £27 from VW but takes a week to arrive.

I’ll certainly open up the old unit and send some photos. Or if you’re in the UK I can send it to you.

Thanks again

I’ve found the VW part number for the relay which is

7H7951253

It’s around £27 from VW but takes a week to arrive.

I’ll certainly open up the old unit and send some photos. Or if you’re in the UK I can send it to you.

In case it’s useful, I turned the fridge on for an hour (bypassing the relay) and the temps came back as:

IMG_7479.jpeg

TN5 being the reading, the value has changed significantly.

So confirms to me that the sensor is working.

Will order the relay and report back.

Back