Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Family trip to Denmark

Ah Fantastic! This is just the sort of thing I was looking for :thumb

Thanks again, I think I may be pinching some of your ideas. Our two boys look a similar age to yours so the places you visited would definitely appeal to them. Little lego boxes are also a great idea! and my 8 year old was impressed with the lego build!

We were up there two years ago, loved every minute of it. Family highlights were Lalandia in Rodby, Tivoli in Copenhagen and camping in Chartlottenlund.

Spent a lovely day wandering around Copenhagen, wish we had at least two more to take it all in. Will definitely be going back!

p.s. Can I ask what awning sides you have? We went to look at dive away awnings today but think they might be a bit of a faff! And the comfort sides look pricey, although probably worth it.

Thanks in advance

Clare

We were up there two years ago, loved every minute of it. Family highlights were Lalandia in Rodby, Tivoli in Copenhagen and camping in Chartlottenlund.

Spent a lovely day wandering around Copenhagen, wish we had at least two more to take it all in. Will definitely be going back!

Sounds great! can't wait :)

I would just add one area to all the other very good suggestions: Visit the top of Jutland and not least the large dune Raabjerg mile. It is one of the biggest dunes in Europe and one of the very few that is allowed to move. And it is also a fun trip to go to the absolute top of Jutland at Grenen and see Skagerak and the North Sea meet. Remember we are a small country, so a few hours will take you anywhere.
Enjoy your trip.

We were thinking Denmark as well via tunnel and want a stopover Ghent, can’t get enough of that city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the average Danish weather like in September?

Since we are surrounded by the sea, we will always have very varied weather. That said, I find September to be a nice month. You don’t go swimming but with a bit of luck it is not to wet and temperatures at 12-20 Celsius. It’s the last of the tourist season so attractions are still open and not crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we have booked flights to Billund and I'll be picking the family up from the airport.....£194 with BA and no 12 hour slog for the little ones. Legoland has a cracking deal on for Sunday and Monday nights with 2 day passes heavily discounted if you stay at the hotel.

Hopefully theme hotels are not as bad as I fear....I'm sure the kids will love it......

The more however I research Denmark, the more I feel I may need a second mortgage to survive......

So we have booked flights to Billund and I'll be picking the family up from the airport.....£194 with BA and no 12 hour slog for the little ones. Legoland has a cracking deal on for Sunday and Monday nights with 2 day passes heavily discounted if you stay at the hotel.

Hopefully theme hotels are not as bad as I fear....I'm sure the kids will love it......

The more however I research Denmark, the more I feel I may need a second mortgage to survive......
Just delay the post Christmas diet by a few months.

Has anyone yet mentioned the Danish pastry? And their bread? Danish bakers are the best! We look for a ”bageri” every single day when we visit Denmark. And we’ve visited Denmark quite a lot.
We found the campingsites quite expensive but always very good and clean.
We found the famous west coast beaches nice but windy, and the sea not deep enough for a swim. So we prefer for swimming one of the many blue-flag beaches on the eastern coast or islands.
Many towns have special activities for children during school holidays like”crab-fishing-courses” or finding edible plants along the seafront. Visit a local tourist office for this kind of information, I don’t think you’ll find it on www.visitDenmark.dk

Old thread but just for info we’ve been to Denmark a couple of times during Covid in 2020 and on each occasion used the Eurotunnel - not being coughed on by other passengers could be an advantage. Stopped once in Germany at Camping-Paradies & Restaurant Grüner Jäger in North Germany. Dog friendly. Clean outdoor pool, cheap, great simple, hearty food and very close to the main motorway. Ideal one stop strategy and manageable in one hit from Surrey as I am the only driver. Will stop there again hopefully this year. You have to pay in advance in Euros. Got there on one tank (just) so no stopping in FR, BE or NL

Denmark fabulous as is my Danish wife. Gratuitous photo on the North Zealand coast attached.

520E8B1C-FF79-4BEE-A1C7-A7A38D2C261F.jpeg

Have used the Hook of Holland ferry frequently, normally the overnight crossing going with a cabin, so you arrive well refreshed ready to hit the road.
I find it overall cheaper than the Tunnel when you take into account the milage on the other side.
Numerous campsites within an hours travel of the Hook of Holland, useful to stay at the night before your return ferry. I normally take a daytime return ferry.
was that from Harwich?

Main danger point is when turning right or left at a junction. Natural tendency is to go to the wrong side of road other than that just remember to be sat on the kerb side not middle of the road as in UK.

really naive question but how is it generally driving a right hand drive vehicle in left hand europe?
Personally, I’ve never had a problem. Doesn’t take long to get adapted and at Hook of Holland, well signposted, quiet roads with a few simple junctions and roundabouts before you hit the busier roads.

Also planning to visit Denmark and Lego house this year. Small question: is it recommended to book campsite (far) in advance or can you just show up? Is there plenty of availability or are most campsites booked full for the summer (august timeframe)?

Also planning to visit Denmark and Lego house this year. Small question: is it recommended to book campsite (far) in advance or can you just show up? Is there plenty of availability or are most campsites booked full for the summer (august timeframe)?
Depends how flexible you are and what preferences you have. Legoland camping is huge, we have never made a reservation and never had a problem just showing up with our car + caravan around midday. perhaps we were always really lucky, and the last time was 4 years ago. (That time with California and tent) When you going to arrive late in the afternoon it might be a problem, so than I would really advise to make a reservation.
In our experience, if a campsite is fully booked, there will always be another campsite real close nearby, with plenty of spaces. Accept for Legoland….

really naive question but how is it generally driving a right hand drive vehicle in left hand europe?
I found it quite easy and adjusted quickly, the layout of a van means visibility is usually pretty good. Only challenge was overtaking on single tracks but in reality it very rarely if ever came up.

I had a little speed converter sticker to help with speeds and I found it a lot nicer and more relaxing than in the UK (except maybe Germany which felt similar in traffic volumes around cities).

Try the park4night app, quite a few sites in Denmark for a small country. Nip over to Sweden if you have time
Just be aware wild camping is technically illegal in Denmark, the park4night app listed places where it was not allowed and clearly signposted as such when we were there.

Hi.
We are planing a family trip to Denmark end of July - beginning of August. I have marked about 6 most recomended campsites around the country now I have a dilema. Should i make a reservations for our whole 14days trip or there will be free space available. Any suggestions?

Hello, we’re one week into our 15-day trip in DK. We prebooked all campsites, so far none of them seem to be too crowded .