Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Failed Arms on VW Bike Rack

F

Freddie197

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
All of the arms on my bike rack have failed - the locks no longer work and the screws have failed. Any tips to get the damn things off and suggestions as to replacements welcomed. Thanks in advance

I did it on a T5 a few years back, rack had gone green around the contact points, even when I got the screws loose, it felt melded at the top of the tailgate. Some patience on a nice spring day with something to loosen them off at the bottom a few days prior to attempting it should see you alright. Tow bar rack or or a Thule Wanderway as alternative

I did it on a T5 a few years back, rack had gone green around the contact points, even when I got the screws loose, it felt melded at the top of the tailgate. Some patience on a nice spring day with something to loosen them off at the bottom a few days prior to attempting it should see you alright. Tow bar rack or or a Thule Wanderway as alternative
One or two of the tightening knobs on ours stopped gripping properly because the screw thread had worn right where they needed to grip. Found a farming DIY store store which had long threaded metal bars of various diameters and cut them to size. It worked and saved a lot over the price of replacement arms from Thule