Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory California Beach or Self Build Beach based on a Kombi

JTMonza

JTMonza

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So we are are planning to replace our 2012 Converted Kombi which has Original Caravelle seats, a reimo roof, twin sliders, captains chairs and fully carpet lined and insulated. This van has taken us all over Europe over the last 4 years and been great fun to own.

I am just trying to justify in my head the outlay for a California Beach rather than converting another kombi.

Can you please help me justify in my head, that investing in the real thing is the way to go ?!! To achieve the spec. that we are after we would probably be looking at a new factory order...for £50-55K plus

How much is the similar specced Kombi...?
When I’ve looked in the past, there isn’t much in it, especially if you paying a converter do most/all of the work

Go see and drive a Cali, you decide ?

3 year warranty (5 years if you extend from new)

Good luck

I'd suggest that you configure both models to the exact specification you would want to order to get an idea of the initial cost difference.

Once you add the costs on for converting the Kombi by adding the pop top, heater and caravelle sliding seating etc I would imagine that the difference would only be approx 5/6 grand cheaper?

Then consider that the Beach has fully integrated Blinds, table, chairs, heating / cooling (in the rear) and the residual values are possibly stronger, the Beach is justifiable!

A real guess as I have no good idea about converting!
Kombi 150 DSG to similar Beach Spec £38k? (Inc Vat)
Pop Top 2k?
Caravelle Seating 2k?
Heater 1.5k?
Rough total 44k?

A decent Beach Spec would be approx 55k then minus discount so about 50k.

So, to me, you may save 6 grand initially but with the Cali, you've got a fully factory built van with full VW warranty for 3 years that can be extended to 5 years for another £400.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above but to me, converting a New Kombi is not worth the hassle for difference in cost.

Hi @JTMonza -- I looked into this myself as I would have very much liked a long wheelbase twin slider Beach.

I was particularly taken with the offerings of Uberbus (they do a lovely looking "Beach" model). Uberbus seemed to do high quality work (I visited them at Busfest), slightly different to the rest, and had a good reputation.

In the end, I think the main reason that chose a Beach over a conversion was that I was confident of the resale value of the Beach, so that if I realised I'd made a mistake I could sell and go down the conversion route. So I've taken a compromise but I think I will be happy with it

I spent quite a lot of time thinking about this, looking on the T4forum -- the other reasons I went for the Beach over the conversion were as follows:

1) Price - not much difference between a new Beach and a similarly specified converted Kombi/Shuttle bought new
2) Type classification - I was keen to have the van registered as a 'car, mpv etc' and not commercial vehicle (50mph speed limits on A roads). This would have required either to have a built in kitchen (which I didn't want) or to have converted a Shuttle / Caravelle (with extra conversion costs due to the need to move ducting etc in roof)
3) Second hand vans - looked like hard work to find a second hand van that one could be sure had been treated OK. Too many ex-builders vans / taxis etc. Felt more confident that a second hand Beach would have been cared for
4) Hassle factor. Didn't want the hassle of going back and forth with convertors - & the potential for getting stuck between VW dealer & the convertor throwing blame for things going wrong & getting stuck in the middle. I was very uninspired by the VW approved convertors such as Jerba, Bilbos etc (& no price benefit with these firms). Also, the convertors I did get in touch with took ages to reply to emails (if they did at all) --- can't be bothered with that.
5) Scams, dodgy dealers. Too many stories of convertors taking your money and not delivering, delivering a poor product, or taking forever to do what they say they will. T4 forum full of these kind of stories. Unfortunately these stories do put a shadow over the whole conversion trade (in my view) and it's difficult to tell as an outsider whether a company with a once good reputation has now hit hard times.
6) Carpet - the ubiquitous grey carpet that seems to cover the walls of virtually all conversions. Yuk.
7) Self conversion. I'm not good with my hands so wouldn't do it myself.
8) The discount on new builds - I managed to get about 10% off from list price on my factory order which seems about standard from others on this forum. And I didn't work very hard on price negotiations unlike some here.

Last edited:
£2k for a poptop? Behave.
You don’t fit a two grand poptop to a £45k+ van.
Reimo/SCA roofs are the best part of £5k and I would imagine a Caravelle seat on rails fitted would be nearer £3k.

See the price difference soon becomes comparable. Then you start adding, chairs, tables, leisure batteries, 230v hook-up etc etc.

£2k for a poptop? Behave.
You don’t fit a two grand poptop to a £45k+ van.
Reimo/SCA roofs are the best part of £5k and I would imagine a Caravelle seat on rails fitted would be nearer £3k.

See the price difference soon becomes comparable. Then you start adding, chairs, tables, leisure batteries, 230v hook-up etc etc.

Really? It was a guess! No idea because I'm not interested in conversions. Just throwing a figure at it! I'm sure you can tell that from my post.

Yeah, you can get a poptop for around £2k. But they are dreadful.
The real deal costs £££.

It soon mounts up.

My view is simple conversions, seats up front and timber framed rear to create camper on an older van are fine.
I did a conversion years ago that cost us £7.5k and did us well for a few years.
Spending £35k on a conversion on a secondhand van with Barry working out of his shed, is madness.

Last edited:
Some converters have their pricelists in their websites. A Reimo roof is indeed the best part of 5k but it has the front window....

If you can afford it, go for a beach, it will be a sound investment. Have a look at autoebid they're currently offering approx 8% off list price (last time I looked). Then take this figure to another dealer (or several if you get no joy with the first) to see if they can beat it.

With a decent discount the depreciation will truly be minimal and therefore the risk of making the "wrong" choice is negated. You could sell it on having lost the equivalent of a few weeks hire.

Remember it isn't only a case of initial outlay but is a genuine investment as the value will largely be retained.

Good luck!

If you can afford it, go for a beach, it will be a sound investment. Have a look at autoebid they're currently offering approx 8% off list price (last time I looked). Then take this figure to another dealer (or several if you get no joy with the first) to see if they can beat it.

With a decent discount the depreciation will truly be minimal and therefore the risk of making the "wrong" choice is negated. You could sell it on having lost the equivalent of a few weeks hire.

Remember it isn't only a case of initial outlay but is a genuine investment as the value will largely be retained.

Good luck!
I was about to post much the same re discount. Get a price from Autoebid and find a dealer that will match it. Worked for me and I'm happy with a new Beach which I think I could sell with minimal loss if I wanted to ( I don't :) )

I started out thinking I would convert a van but not I have the beach I'm glad I bought it as if my house is anything to go by, it would never be finished.

Another vote for getting a Beach here. I was in a very similar position of convert a van or get a Beach, admittedly this was 5 years ago and prices have changed a bit since. Went for the Beach, added a 'kitchen pod' and proper coolbox and haven't regretted the decision since. As has been mentioned above the conversion prices and quality vary wildly. Uberbus was one of the converters I was considering back then and I also asked him to quote on my kitchen pod. With his reputation getting a build slot involved quite a wait which might be a consideration.
I can see the point of conversions if you want/need a layout that none of the California's offer. e.g front hinged roof and rear kitchen area. For the traditional kitchen down the side or full width sliding seat layout on a like for like spec the Californias (in my opinion) are the better option.

completely agree....
Went for the Beach, added a 'kitchen pod' and proper coolbox and haven't regretted the decision since. As has been mentioned above the conversion prices and quality vary wildly. Uberbus was one of the converters I was considering back then and I also asked him to quote on my kitchen pod. .

@owen_h Sorry to hijack thread -- did Uberbus make your kitchen pod in the end? Any recommendations for something high quality but interesting design

completely agree....

@owen_h Sorry to hijack thread -- did Uberbus make your kitchen pod in the end? Any recommendations for something high quality but interesting design

I ended up making it myself. At the time the Beach was a very new vehicle to the UK so none of the converters had any experience of it. I (eventually) had a couple of quotes to make a pod (Uberbus & Actionvan close to me in Southampton) was happy with the quality of both companies but both were ~ £2k+ without the fridge. Decided to buy some tools (rail plunge saw & biscuit jointer and have a go at making it myself). A few other people on the forum have also made pods themselves or modified Ikea units.
If your after a rear slide out pod then Slidepods look very nicely engineered and made. The other company that does a big range is Maxxcamp. Not sure they have a UK agent though. I've not personally seen either companies product.

That would be an ocean at that price
Our Beach had a list price of nearly £54K in 2016 although I didn't pay anywhere near that. When I replace it I will possibly want LEDs, dsg and a few other useful toys so the list price will be around the £60K mark. I won't be paying that much either.

It depends on your budget but if you can run to it get the Beach. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
I have seen lots of converted vans and they are all s@#t unless you’re blind or have no attention to detail. If you want to save 3-5k then good luck

I attend a lot of VW shows and have looked at many conversions. A lot of them look great but then I think they are the demo vehicles which will have been built with care and attention to detail to entice new business through the door.. Will the same devotion be applied if they were converting my Kombi? I think not - more likely just churn it through to get paid and get the next one in. I also wonder what would be behind the trim panels? Right amount of insulation and sound deadening? What about the wiring? Also, if they drill or cut the metal, will it be treated to prevent rust? I would want to be on-site everyday to monitor the work being done and make sure I was comfortable.

Maybe I worry too much, but then my Kombi is the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought so I do tend to wrap it up cotton wool.

Anyway, just my thoughts.......

I attend a lot of VW shows and have looked at many conversions. A lot of them look great but then I think they are the demo vehicles which will have been built with care and attention to detail to entice new business through the door.. Will the same devotion be applied if they were converting my Kombi? I think not - more likely just churn it through to get paid and get the next one in. I also wonder what would be behind the trim panels? Right amount of insulation and sound deadening? What about the wiring? Also, if they drill or cut the metal, will it be treated to prevent rust? I would want to be on-site everyday to monitor the work being done and make sure I was comfortable.

Maybe I worry too much, but then my Kombi is the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought so I do tend to wrap it up cotton wool.

Anyway, just my thoughts.......
Don’t forget, besides sound deadening pads etc: the California has no insulation behind the trim panels to seal in the condensation. That’s why the SE/Ocean has the Diesel Parking Heater as standard.

So we are are planning to replace our 2012 Converted Kombi which has Original Caravelle seats, a reimo roof, twin sliders, captains chairs and fully carpet lined and insulated. This van has taken us all over Europe over the last 4 years and been great fun to own.

I am just trying to justify in my head the outlay for a California Beach rather than converting another kombi.

Can you please help me justify in my head, that investing in the real thing is the way to go ?!! To achieve the spec. that we are after we would probably be looking at a new factory order...for £50-55K plus

We were thinking just the same. We had booked 2 meetings, one with VW to see a Beach, and the other with a local converter to discuss their day/weekend van offering. But, when we saw exactly what you got with the Beach, the sliding seat rails, roof bed, super swish window blinds etc etc, there was no contest. And then when we drove it! Nothing like a van (my 16 plate Bilbo’s Celex definitely was - lots of noise!) it drives and feels like a car! My advice, go and look and have a drive. Ours is 12 months old, 3500 miles, 3 seat bench, cassette awning, LED lights, full satnav/media, heated windscreen, tow bar, indigo grey, comfort dash - £42k. Good luck

Back